PDA

View Full Version : Speed

randyandyD
10-28-2003, 07:31 PM
:( Can any of you intellectuals out there assist me with my predicament???

4.30pm sunny day, not another vehicle in sight. Round a slight curve at 105mph and who should be standing down the road with a hairdryer pointing straight at me(breathe) Mr plod. I`ve heard they cant take readings on bends, but what the sh.t do I know! Please help, cos Im a student and cant afford the fine.

BSc clinical physiology (Cardiology) not a bum!!!!!!

LTJBukem
10-28-2003, 08:13 PM
What the hell do you expect people to say? You were caught speeding, tough shit.

What if, for example, some kid had fell off their bike when you rounded that bend?

I've always found it odd that while drink driving, disgraceful as it is, is seen by society to be completely unacceptable, speeding is seen as being ok, as long as you don't get caught.

I hope you lose your license. <_<

Gemby!
10-28-2003, 08:14 PM
i agree :)

TClite
10-28-2003, 08:18 PM
you could make up some kind of elaborate excuse, like, you hit some ice, so to keep your car from over-steering you had to hammer the accelerator which resulted in some excessive speed, or you could say your speedo was faulty, but ultimately if theyve caught you at that speed i think you will be lucky not to get banned

Bukem and randy should lay off a little, although its a stupid speed, id be prepare to bet youve done something similar, i also assume it was on the motor way, if otherwise id cancel your insurance lol

Yogi
10-28-2003, 08:28 PM
clinical physiology (Cardiology) not a bum&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

So you want to heal.....????

You mean:

Clinical psycho(Sickology). Real Bummer&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

:angry: Yogi

J'Pol
10-28-2003, 08:29 PM
As I understand the situation

UK - over 100mph - automatic 12 month ban, no questions asked.

Oh and look forward to a huge hike in your insurance, if you can get any at all.

Did you have a reason to be travelling at this speed, or were you just playing on the road.

RGX
10-28-2003, 08:48 PM
105 round a corner?

A corner so angeled that you couldnt even see the officer standing on the other side? (ie a very tight corner)

shouldnt have been speeding, 12 month ban by the sound of it, people are killed every day by people like you

Spindulik
10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Well, the best you could do is fight it in court, if that is possible in your country. If so, there is a chance of a reduced penalty. Admitting guilty without a trial leaves you with 0% chance of any reduced penalties.

I work at a shop where we calibrate sonic transmitters and transducers, and those electronic devices are within 0.5% accuracy. So the police officer&#39;s equipment is mostly up to date without an expired calibration sticker. At the speeds you were traveling, I am sure you were beyond that 0.5% accuracy.

Virtualbody1234
10-28-2003, 09:37 PM
I think you should go and fight it in front of the judge. That way he can really throw the book at you and increase your penalty. :angry:

LTJBukem
10-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by TClite@ 28 October 2003 - 20:18
Bukem and randy should lay off a little, although its a stupid speed, id be prepare to bet youve done something similar, i also assume it was on the motor way, if otherwise id cancel your insurance lol You&#39;re wrong. I&#39;m totally against speeding.

Ten years or so ago i witnessed something terrible that had a lasting and profound effect on me. I was travelling in South Africa with a friend, when i witnessed a horrendous traffic accident. We had been hitch hiking near Mossel Bay and got a lift off this really sound guy. We were chatting away happily when a car overtook us doing a crazy speed, despite the road being bendy with many blind corners. Ten minutes later we rounded a bend where we saw an accident had occurred.

The same car that had just overtook us, had rounded a corner and ploughed into the back of another car that had pulled out of a junction. The force of the collision had rammed the slow moving car into a ditch with it&#39;s back end ending up in the air at 90 degrees.

Of course we stopped, not that there was a thing we could do. In the upturned car was a young couple and a child of four years of age. The child, who had been sat in the back seat and not wearing a seat belt, had shot forward head first between her parents into the windscreen. While the mother and child apparently died instantly, the father survived. He did however lose the use of his legs, which were crushed by the steering wheel shaft. The driver of the speeding car also died later in hospital.

While it was a miracle that the Father survived, how tragic it is that he had to witness the horrible death of his wife and child, then after a lengthy period of rehabillitation, spend his life in a wheel chair. All because someone they had never met chose to drive at a dangerous speed.

Now i&#39;m not here to shock. I just think that maybe by telling this story, it might change some peoples opinions about speeding.

I&#39;m not labelling the original poster as some kind of monster. It&#39;s quite possible that, had i not witnessed this horrendous and tragic accident, i myself might speed. The fact is however that most road fatalities are caused by excessive speed. By speeding you&#39;re not only risking your own life, but also the life of every other road user you encounter.

Smooch
10-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Posts like this really piss me off :angry:

So what if you lost control of your car? Do you think you would have time to correct any mistakes?

Speeding is not just going faster than the speed limit but also travelling too fast to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting another vehicle or pedestrian.

Just think about it for a minute.

Riddler
10-28-2003, 10:36 PM
http://www.jeffpylenz.com/Web%20animations/FLUKE.gif

Aren&#39;t you glad you posted that here, randyandy ?
I have only one thing to add.........I&#39;m guessing you&#39;re fairly young and have not been in or witnessed any serious accidents It just seems that for a lot of people, age and experience are the two things that slow them down on the road. The feeling of invincibility passes slowly as the years go by, but it passes in an instant when tragic experience shapes our lives. My sister was in a coma for 6 months and came out of it with permanent brain damage after the car she was a passenger in was obliterated by another car doing.........hmmm....about 105-110 mph in a 40mph zone.
So, I suppose the combination of that event and 25 years of driving has minimized that &#39; invincibile &#39; attitude.
Slow down randyandy.
Get there when you get there, bud. :)

bigboab
10-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by randyandyD@28 October 2003 - 19:31
Round a slight curve at 105mph
I think you may mean round the bend at 105 mph.

silent VI
10-29-2003, 02:04 AM
fight the ticket in court somtimes this does work

Infested Cats
10-29-2003, 02:09 AM
If the officer doesn&#39;t show up to court, you get off scott-free (This is for US. I don&#39;t know the rules in other countries).

blackhatknight
10-29-2003, 02:15 AM
I used to live in Birmingham and there was guy to scared he chopped down the secuity camera and toke it home, this isn&#39;t helpful i know but it&#39;s funny (I hope)

Lilmiss
10-29-2003, 02:16 AM
i was hit at 80mph or more on a 30mph road by a landrover.
ruined my lifestyle completely.
had to move nearer to work, lost the car, added pains to my backache, and i was so close to loosing one of my friends who was in the back of the car at the time.

the excuse the guy gave was he was late for a meeting. :angry:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-29-2003, 03:29 AM
this is what i like about minnesota, if you are busted going twice or more the speed limit, you would be charged with attempted murder, cause if you hit someone, you WILL kill someone...........you sir are a loser, and deserve some jail time so some guy named bubba can "speed" up your fudge tunnel.

Livy
10-29-2003, 04:00 AM
agreed, if u couldnt see the officer, this is more than a lsight bend, and no need for 105mph,
i got flashed by a camera a few weeks ago in edinburgh, but i dont think there was any film in it. as i havent got anything yet.

the road was a 30, it was 2 lanes, i was overtaking a taxi going slightly slower, maybe 25, i was just sittin bout 30. and some guy kep sitting on my tail, so i speed up a bit to get past the taxi and pull in i woulda been doing just over 35 ish, just about to pull over and noticed him slowing right down and dropping back, then flash. but i woulda got a fine. for trying to get some idiot of my tail

kAb
10-29-2003, 05:05 AM
Read the Kevin Mitnick book.

I&#39;ll try to remember what his advice was (summary)

Basically, the officer who caught you, you get his name. then call his district and tell them you are a fellow officer wondering when he is taking vacation or time off.

When/if they tell you, have the court set to that date and he won&#39;t be there. Tell the judge whatever you want and get off free of charge.

Adster
10-29-2003, 05:11 AM
my father got off with speeding once

he wrote them a letter to say I didn&#39;t know I was going fast and I couldn&#39;t slow down and after 43 years of driving with a clean record I shoudl get off

he got off

blackhatknight
10-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by lilmiss@29 October 2003 - 02:16
I was hit at 80mph or more on a 30mph road by a landrover.

good point speeding does hurt other people and maybe it shouldn&#39;t be how you will get off but how you&#39;ll not do it again though they do say that tax evisan and speed are the two crimes most people are guilty of

Busyman
10-29-2003, 07:09 AM
As a speeder myself I must say randy you are going to fucking fast. I&#39;ve gone 140 mph.......on straight open highway but not around bends and shit, and not around other cars. I&#39;m in the US (Wash DC Metro area) and have gone 80 mph in a 55 on the highway in the left lane. I&#39;m hearing some crazy shit on here. Folks going 100 mph in a 40 zone :blink: ? I&#39;ve had slow fender benders that were my fault but who hasn&#39;t......but I&#39;ve never had an accident due to going to fast.
I do have my rants though:

On a 2 to 4 lane highway if you are a slow driver and are not passing a slower driver...........GET YOUR ASS IN THE RIGHT LANE&#33;&#33;&#33;
Have some courtesy

bigboab
10-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Just two simple questions.
Why were you doing a 105 mph when you knew that this was breaking the law?
Are you one of these people that stand drinking in a bar(With your car sitting outside) and say. &#39;They broke into my car and stole my stereo(Putting no one in danger by the way), They should lock the bastards away&#39;?

silent VI
10-29-2003, 11:23 AM
If the officer doesn&#39;t show up to court, you get off scott-free (This is for US. I don&#39;t know the rules in other countries).

its the same here in canada thats why i suggested fightiing the ticket in court :)

jetje
10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
I know people that never speed but sure can&#39;t drive, they&#39;re a bigger danger to traffic and people then someone that&#39;s speeding. Thing is there are places and times when you can go faster but a good driver knows where and when. If someone doesn&#39;t see that (s)he&#39;s a reckless driver, that&#39;s a lot different.
A reckless driver causes accidents even if he&#39;s doing 20mph.. ;)
personally i think drugs and liquer are a far bigger problem to traffic then speeding ;)

Having said that i have to say i can understand the pain of people that where involved by accidents where people did drive fast... but i hope you can understand that i think that where reckless drivers ;)

randyandyD
10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
;)

I see a wide spectrum of views out there in cyberland. I suggest, that all the hypocritical shit shovers should look at thier own driving styles. 105 on a motorway is a lot safer to other road users than some dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of incoming traffic. oh yeah, I dont want to heal, I just want loads of money

RGX
10-29-2003, 01:38 PM
all we can offer is our opinions, did you even listen to some people in this topic?

People whos lives have been ruined by dicks like you?

105 on a motorway maybe, but didnt you say you couldnt see the policemen round the corner? How many motorways do you know that have corners tight enough so you cant see someone on the other side? And even if you do, going at that speed can cause you to lose control very very easily

What car were you driving?

Biggles
10-29-2003, 02:12 PM
It could be argued that a student who can afford a car that can do 105 can afford a fine. I felt fortunate the days mine saw fit to even start.

What will happen will depend on which country you are in and the road you were on. In the UK although the speed limit on a motorway is 70 you are unlikely to be penalised if you are doing 75/80 unless you are clocked by one of those little cameras.

If you were doing 105 on a country road (60 mile limit) or worse, a restricted zone at 40 or 30 mile limits you are in big trouble. Depending on the judge, they could be dusting off the black cap.

Livy
10-29-2003, 02:50 PM
yeah i also have the same view as jetje, there are times where they speed limit can be broken, without putting anyone in danger.
in most cases i wouldnt say speed is the major factor/cause in an accident, it may results in more injury, but that doesnt mean it was the cause, the poor standards of driving are. and ive seen alot of stupid driving, and ive only been driving about 2 years.
and i abotu got taken out by some stupid dottery old woman,

i had my girlfriend and her firend int he car. i was doing about 75 on the motorway, and the old wifey was doing maybe about 65. i started to overtake her, proper manoveres etc. and a on sliproad was coming up so she just started pulling over to the other side of the road while i was right next to her. and she never even seen me, she about shat her self when i peeped my horn, itwas at night so she should have at least seen my lights next to her. if she had hot my car i woulda hit into the kerb propably, and hitting a kerb at 75 i wouldnt have got of lightly i would have thought, theres nothing wrong with speeding really its reckless speeding, and driving,
and also the same thing as rgx, people who sit ont he wrong lanes in motorways,

randyandyD
10-29-2003, 05:34 PM
This must be a site of illiterates, aimed at RGX. Before trying to insult someone for not reading all the posts, you should firstly read the first. The exact wording was "slight curve" not a corner. ...... now who should read all.

LTJBukem
10-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by randyandyD@29 October 2003 - 13:33
;)
I see a wide spectrum of views out there in cyberland. I suggest, that all the hypocritical shit shovers should look at thier own driving styles. 105 on a motorway is a lot safer to other road users than some dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of incoming traffic.&nbsp; oh yeah, I dont want to heal, I just want loads of money
I hope that when you refer to "the dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of oncoming traffic", you&#39;re not talking about the accident which i witnessed. In this case, the driver of the car that pulled out of the junction did so before the speeding driver appeared and killed his wife and child.
A slight curve is still a corner. In this case it was also a blind corner as you could not see the policeman.

It amazes me that people are posting here, suggesting that excessive speed isn&#39;t a major cause of road accidents. I suggest they read up on the subject.

@Livy. I&#39;m assuming i&#39;m not understanding you correctly. If this old wifey was manouvering toward a slip road and never saw you passing her in her path, then you must have been undertaking her on an inside lane. This would also be illegal, and is dangerous driving.

3rd gen noob
10-30-2003, 10:42 AM
i&#39;ve not read through this whole topic, just skimmed it.
i see a lot of people who look down on speeding.
i speed...though never in 20, 30 or 40mph limits.
i very rarely go over 75mph on motorways (though i have done 100+ mph on two motorways)
i speed quite often on backroads (only ones that i know, and only when there is little or no traffic and good visibility (or at nights))
i don&#39;t speed in rainy conditions, or in very cold conditions

i would consider myself a good driver (doesn&#39;t every guy :rolleyes: )

i&#39;ve not had a crash in over a year of driving (i passed my test on July 7th 2002)

my driving may be deemed by others as irresponsible, some people on this forum may change their opinion of me, however, i just wanted to tell the truth

DarthInsinuate
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@30 October 2003 - 10:42
i speed quite often on backroads (only ones that i know, and only when there is little or no traffic and good visibility (or at nights)
isn&#39;t that a contradiction?

you have a point though, if the odds of someone getting hurt are very slim, why not put your car through its paces?
then again, its not just others you should worry about, if you lost control, spun you could end up with a wreaked car with a corpse at the wheel - that&#39;s a expensive suicide in my books

EDIT: you can&#39;t consider yourself a good driver, Schumacher is considered a good driver - he&#39;s pretty prone to hitting other cars

RGX
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Then how could you NOT see the policemen? I fail to see how anyone paying proper attention to their driving could fail to spot a policemen pointing a radar gun at them, and due to the speed you were driving at, you should have been especially observent.

InverseKinetix
10-30-2003, 01:52 PM
On the German Autobahn, there is no speed limit and it has one of the lowest accident rates in the world.

lynx
10-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by randyandyD@29 October 2003 - 12:33
105 on a motorway is a lot safer to other road users than some dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of incoming traffic.

Round a slight curve at 105mph and who should be standing down the road with a hairdryer pointing straight at me(breathe) Mr plod.
I hope you aren&#39;t trying to suggest that policemen stand in the middle of the motorway with radar guns? So the truth is that you were doing 105 on an ordinary road. I can see not only a 12 month ban (minimum), but possible jail time too.

Like 3rd Gen, I too exceed the speed limit when conditions permit, but the sort of driving you describe can only be defined as dangerous. I hope they charge you with that, it carries a maximum jail term of 10 years.

Edit:typo

3rd gen noob
10-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate+30 October 2003 - 11:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarthInsinuate @ 30 October 2003 - 11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob@30 October 2003 - 10:42
i speed quite often on backroads (only ones that i know, and only when there is little or no traffic and good visibility (or at nights)
isn&#39;t that a contradiction? [/b][/quote]
if you mean contradiction because it&#39;s dark, then it&#39;s actually easier to see cars at night on my roads, due to the headlights.
i wouldn&#39;t think any people would be out walking at 4am... :rolleyes:

blade1356uk
10-30-2003, 05:33 PM
I agree with all that has been said about speeding ,having been on motorway&#39;s to pick up smashed up vehicles & motor bikes seeing some poor sod with half his head hanging off due to some dick speeding the kid stood no chance 12 months ban & £3.000 fine & hopefully prison

djfactory
10-30-2003, 05:35 PM
you shouldnt of been speeding, you could have killed someone&#33; <_<

bigboab
10-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@29 October 2003 - 10:57
Just two simple questions.
Why were you doing a 105 mph when you knew that this was breaking the law?
Are you one of these people that stand drinking in a bar(With your car sitting outside) and say. &#39;They broke into my car and stole my stereo(Putting no one in danger by the way), They should lock the bastards away&#39;?
Two simple answers would suffice.

3rd gen noob
10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by djfactory@30 October 2003 - 17:35
you shouldnt of been speeding, you could have killed someone&#33; <_<
you can kill people whether you&#39;re speeding or not...

Busyman
10-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+29 October 2003 - 17:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem &#064; 29 October 2003 - 17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-randyandyD@29 October 2003 - 13:33
;)
I see a wide spectrum of views out there in cyberland. I suggest, that all the hypocritical shit shovers should look at thier own driving styles. 105 on a motorway is a lot safer to other road users than some dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of incoming traffic. oh yeah, I dont want to heal, I just want loads of money
I hope that when you refer to "the dick who pulls out of a junction in the face of oncoming traffic", you&#39;re not talking about the accident which i witnessed. In this case, the driver of the car that pulled out of the junction did so before the speeding driver appeared and killed his wife and child.
A slight curve is still a corner. In this case it was also a blind corner as you could not see the policeman.

It amazes me that people are posting here, suggesting that excessive speed isn&#39;t a major cause of road accidents. I suggest they read up on the subject.

@Livy. I&#39;m assuming i&#39;m not understanding you correctly. If this old wifey was manouvering toward a slip road and never saw you passing her in her path, then you must have been undertaking her on an inside lane. This would also be illegal, and is dangerous driving. [/b][/quote]
Just speeding does not cause most accidents.
Not paying attention "causes" most accidents.
Speeding does reduce reaction time to some other dork not "paying attention".

example:
If I&#39;m speeding down the highway and some dick (a slow driver)cuts me off and I plow into the back of him did I "cause" the accident? No
He wasn&#39;t paying attention to who is coming up the other lane.
I know I know then the argument is "If you hadn&#39;t been speeding you could have slowed down before you hit him". True. But does that discount the bonehead that cut me off? If I was driving the speed limit, was cut off and I hit him what then?

Wreckless driving is one thing but speeding is not always wreckless driving?
Going 100 mph in 30 mph zone is wreckless but.........

So is cutting me off on the beltway

LTJBukem
10-30-2003, 10:55 PM
@Busyman

Yes, mistakes are made on the road due to a lack of concentration. That&#39;s why experienced drivers know that they have to drive at such a speed that they can react safely to other road users mistakes. That&#39;s why we have speed limits.

If I&#39;m speeding down the highway and some dick (a slow driver)cuts me off and I plow into the back of him did I "cause" the accident? No
Yes. In part you would have. Your excessive speed would be a contributory factor to the accident. If you had been driving within the speed limit, you would maybe have been able to take exasive action to avoid possibly killing yourself, your passengers, and the occupants of the other car.

Busyman
10-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@30 October 2003 - 22:55
@Busyman

Yes, mistakes are made on the road due to a lack of concentration. That&#39;s why experienced drivers know that they have to drive at such a speed that they can react safely to other road users mistakes. That&#39;s why we have speed limits.

Yes. In part you would have. Your excessive speed would be a contributory factor to the accident. If you had been driving within the speed limit, you would maybe have been able to take exasive action to avoid possibly killing yourself, your passengers, and the occupants of the other car.
Man you just repeated what I&#39;ve already said. I already know the insurance company stance ....damn <_<

I know I know then the argument is "If you hadn&#39;t been speeding you could have slowed down before you hit him". True. But does that discount the bonehead that cut me off? If I was driving the speed limit, was cut off and I hit him what then?

Wreckless driving is one thing but speeding is not always wreckless driving?
Going 100 mph in 30 mph zone is wreckless but.........

So is cutting me off on the beltway

Anyway my point is PAY ATTENTION&#33;&#33;&#33;
The guy that doesn&#39;t PAY ATTENTION is the one that hits a pedestrian crossing while you are making a right on a red light.
Speeding is not always bad though. It gets me past slow inconsiderate bastards&#33;&#33;

LTJBukem
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by me+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (me)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yes, mistakes are made on the road due to a lack of concentration. That&#39;s why experienced drivers know that they have to drive at such a speed that they can react safely to other road users mistakes. That&#39;s why we have speed limits. [/b]

Comment?

<!--QuoteBegin-me on Tuesday
Ten years or so ago i witnessed something terrible that had a lasting and profound effect on me. I was travelling in South Africa with a friend, when i witnessed a horrendous traffic accident. We had been hitch hiking near Mossel Bay and got a lift off this really sound guy. We were chatting away happily when a car overtook us doing a crazy speed, despite the road being bendy with many blind corners. Ten minutes later we rounded a bend where we saw an accident had occurred.

The same car that had just overtook us, had rounded a corner and ploughed into the back of another car that had pulled out of a junction. The force of the collision had rammed the slow moving car into a ditch with it&#39;s back end ending up in the air at 90 degrees.

Of course we stopped, not that there was a thing we could do. In the upturned car was a young couple and a child of four years of age. The child, who had been sat in the back seat and not wearing a seat belt, had shot forward head first between her parents into the windscreen. While the mother and child apparently died instantly, the father survived. He did however lose the use of his legs, which were crushed by the steering wheel shaft. The driver of the speeding car also died later in hospital.

While it was a miracle that the Father survived, how tragic it is that he had to witness the horrible death of his wife and child, then after a lengthy period of rehabillitation, spend his life in a wheel chair. All because someone they had never met chose to drive at a dangerous speed.

[/quote]

Comment?

Busyman
10-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+30 October 2003 - 23:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem &#064; 30 October 2003 - 23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-me

Comment? [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s a minor band-aid to the problem.
Most accidents I see in Washington DC area occur due to NOT PAYING ATTENTION.
I&#39;ve been "speeding" almost since I could drive but have NEVER had an accident due to speed. Always bullshit fender benders due to LACK OF ATTENTION. The accident I saw yesterday on the beltway:
Car in lane 3 lane goes into lane 2 and bumps the front right fender of the lane 3 car and makes him spin out.
I can&#39;t remember who but there was some official that said for everyone to drive safely the speed limit should be 5-10 mph. Ridiculous. Why drive then?
Don&#39;t get me wrong I&#39;m not talking about speeding in residential areas that may have deer, kids, pedestrians possible darting out into the street. I&#39;m talking about highway driving where if you check your blind spots and rearviews, you can clearly see a driver coming beside you. If you don&#39;t do that your&#39;re the idiot whether I&#39;m speeding or not.

Go drive blindfolded >_<

LTJBukem
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by me+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (me)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>drive at such a speed that they can react safely to other road users mistakes[/b]

Originally posted by you@
It&#39;s a minor band-aid to the problem.

Explain please.

People make mistakes, that&#39;s human nature. Hopefully when people make mistakes when driving, other road users are maintaining a safe distance and speed to react in time.

<!--QuoteBegin-you
I&#39;m talking about highway driving where if you check your blind spots and rearviews, you can clearly see a driver coming beside you. If you don&#39;t do that your&#39;re the idiot whether I&#39;m speeding or not[/quote]
It doesn&#39;t matter whether you think they are an idiot. Do you want to maybe kill them, and yourself, simply because they made a driving error?

Busyman
10-30-2003, 11:49 PM
You seem to not understand something. I know the rationale behind what your&#39;re saying. It&#39;s simple textbook talk. Heard it before and it&#39;s nothing profound. My point is if what the "textbooks" and experts say is true why not drive 40 mph in a 55 mph zone? You have better reaction time. Right? Why 30 mph? Why not 20?
Almost no one drives 55 mph anyway. They at least drive 60. OOOOOOOoooooo....they are dannnnnngggerrrrous. <_<

LTJBukem
10-31-2003, 12:06 AM
I doubt that 5mph over the limit is what you refer to when you said "I&#39;ve been "speeding" almost since I could drive".

You explain to me your version of the laws of physics, particularly momentum. Explain reaction time and stopping distances. Also explain how you are better qualified to comment on road safety than the experts in that field.

You might also care to read up on road traffic accident statistics, then you would see that one third of said accidents are caused by excessive speed. Oh, but you know better than those statistics. Yeah right.

Busyman
10-31-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@31 October 2003 - 00:06
I doubt that 5mph over the limit is what you refer to when you said "I&#39;ve been "speeding" almost since I could drive".

You explain to me your version of the laws of physics, particularly momentum. Explain reaction time and stopping distances. Also explain how you are better qualified to comment on road safety than the experts in that field.

You might also care to read up on road traffic accident statistics, then you would see that one third of said accidents are caused by excessive speed. Oh, but you know better than those statistics. Yeah right.
Again I say if I plowed into the back of someone that cut me off did I "contribute" or "cause" the accident. Experts are not so expert.
I had lady on residential street move left then slow down almost to a stop then when I started to pass her she whipped right into a driveway messing up her right side of her truck. After an arbitration they said it was my fault. :huh:
All this happened at about 5 mph.

My point is if what the "textbooks" and experts say is true why not drive 40 mph in a 55 mph zone? You have better reaction time. Right? Why 30 mph? Why not 20?

randyandyD
10-31-2003, 12:15 PM
The said policeman was about a 1/4 of a mile down the road, and the last time i checked, the radar gun can determine a reading from there. Also as i have not heard of children playing on said roads, my attention was fixed on other road users.

LTJBukem
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by dangerous driver+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dangerous driver)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Again I say if I plowed into the back of someone that cut me off did I "contribute" or "cause" the accident.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-chambers dictionary
contribute verb (contributed, contributing) (usually contribute to something) 1 tr & intr to give (money, time, etc) for some joint purpose. 2 intrans to be one of the causes of something. 3 to supply (an article, etc) for publication in a magazine, etc. contributable adj. contributive adj. contributor noun.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin contribuere, contributum to bring together.[/quote]

Experts are not so expert.Oh right. So that&#39;s why they are referred to as experts, is it?

expert noun someone with great skill in, or extensive knowledge of, a particular subject. adj 1 highly skilled or extremely knowledgeable. 2 relating to or done by an expert or experts. expertly adverb.

Regarding your collision with the lady parking her car. Maybe she was at fault, if she didn&#39;t indicate. If you were a better driver you would have anticipated that, in a residential street, she might have been parking her car. I don&#39;t believe for one second that the collision occurred at 5mph, that&#39;s walking pace- you could have stopped in less than a meter. The arbitration found you to be at fault, but you disagree? Oh yeah, you think the whole world is wrong and you are right. How arrogant are you?

@randyandyD.

Other road users?? Such as cyclists perhaps, or broken down vehicles, or pedestrians...... The stopping distance at 100 mph is over 140 meters, 35 car lengths.

Busyman
10-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+31 October 2003 - 14:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem &#064; 31 October 2003 - 14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by dangerous driver@
Again I say if I plowed into the back of someone that cut me off did I "contribute" or "cause" the accident.

<!--QuoteBegin-chambers dictionary
contribute verb (contributed, contributing) (usually contribute to something) 1 tr & intr to give (money, time, etc) for some joint purpose. 2 intrans to be one of the causes of something. 3 to supply (an article, etc) for publication in a magazine, etc. contributable adj. contributive adj. contributor noun.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin contribuere, contributum to bring together.

Experts are not so expert.Oh right. So that&#39;s why they are referred to as experts, is it?

expert noun someone with great skill in, or extensive knowledge of, a particular subject. adj 1 highly skilled or extremely knowledgeable. 2 relating to or done by an expert or experts. expertly adverb.

Regarding your collision with the lady parking her car. Maybe she was at fault, if she didn&#39;t indicate. If you were a better driver you would have anticipated that, in a residential street, she might have been parking her car. I don&#39;t believe for one second that the collision occurred at 5mph, that&#39;s walking pace- you could have stopped in less than a meter. The arbitration found you to be at fault, but you disagree? Oh yeah, you think the whole world is wrong and you are right. How arrogant are you?

@randyandyD.

Other road users?? Such as cyclists perhaps, or broken down vehicles, or pedestrians...... The stopping distance at 100 mph is over 140 meters, 35 car lengths. [/b][/quote]
Ok now this is when I say fuck you calling me arrogant and shit. It probably was less than 5 mph because she slowed for another car parking on the left. She then started forward then slowed then went left. I thought she was parking ON THE LEFT. I easily had room to pass and got to her back right door when she turned right (in front of me) scraping HER vehicle on the right side. After arbitration (it obviously was an issue if it went to that for a small accident) the insurance guy told me there is a law that allows someone to turn SLIGHTLY left to make a sharp. She went into a another lane for goodness sake (I was able to pass her if that&#39;s an indication) until she turned in front of me.

You sir live in a vaccuum. You believe all laws and rules are correct and just. Most are but are not interpreted correctly. Anyway shut the fuck up. I&#39;ve read the insurance book and have been to traffic school before. Find something more profound and go outside your suburban neighborhood.

Have a nice day :)

Amarjit
10-31-2003, 06:53 PM
150mph? Jesus christ ...

You&#39;ll probably be banned for a lifetime, driving at that horrific speed. :angry:

Do you know how dangerous a car is when driving incredible speeds? You&#39;re not Michael Schumacher you know, the breaking distance of a car of such speed would be incredibly great, what if a child were to be around that corner? Don&#39;t those car ads put a message across?

T H I N K &#33;

3rd gen noob
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@31 October 2003 - 14:13
The stopping distance at 100 mph is over 140 meters, 35 car lengths.
where did you get this statistic from?
what car?
what road conditions?
what reaction time?