PDA

View Full Version : GFT also having issues w/ Paypal

nthpeter
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Sad news on the front page. GFT also has issues with its Paypal account, so more donations needed to keep the site alive.

Burnsy
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Might as well just copy and paste the FTN R.I.P thread in here and change a few of the names about... will save all the usual bullshit from flying around

tippertime
05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
has paypal always been doing this? seems like I have only been hearing about them doing this as of lately?

Burnsy
05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
has paypal always been doing this? seems like I have only been hearing about them doing this as of lately?

From what I understand they don't necessarily target torrent sites directly, although they don't particularly want to be associated with them either. The main reason trackers have been coming to the fore and being targeted recently, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is due to the high number of disputes put into paypal linked with the accounts used by the trackers.

A lot of these disputes, although not entirely limited to, come from traders donating to get invites, getting the invites then 'claiming' their money back from paypal...

I know this is gonna open up a huge can of worms again... "Traders are scum of the earth" Vs "Trackers shouldn't offer invites for donations"... but who cares...

As far as I understand it, that's what the recent problems have been caused by...

Pwner101
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Burnsy is correct with his comment.
Alot of it is traders/sellers who get caught after donations for an invite.
After you get too many disputes within a short period of time the account gets flagged and paypal tries to investigate why there are so many disputes going on.
Also from what I have been told there's alot of users from countries that are not supported in paypal using paypal to make donations. When they are found to be using paypal from these countries Paypal has been investigating where they are sending the money to as well.

nthpeter
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM

From what I understand they don't necessarily target torrent sites directly, although they don't particularly want to be associated with them either. The main reason trackers have been coming to the fore and being targeted recently, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is due to the high number of disputes put into paypal linked with the accounts used by the trackers.

A lot of these disputes, although not entirely limited to, come from traders donating to get invites, getting the invites then 'claiming' their money back from paypal...

I know this is gonna open up a huge can of worms again... "Traders are scum of the earth" Vs "Trackers shouldn't offer invites for donations"... but who cares...

As far as I understand it, that's what the recent problems have been caused by...

You're correct, GFT news says that the high amount of disputes could possibly caused this.

Edit: ftn had also lot of disputes by traders?

THEBAR
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
GFT says they may not make it to next year.
Other than paypal, what else is available for trackers to use?

phoenix_
05-11-2010, 11:20 PM
So I'm wondering if the disputes are related to the donation percentage getting frozen in the 90-ish range over the past couple months, or maybe they're just sandbagging for more donations...
I'm sure they have more money than they claim.

IdolEyes787
05-11-2010, 11:36 PM

I had no idea that anything like that was even happening.

Seriously it never ceases to amaze me the depths to which some people will plunge.

Quarterquack
05-11-2010, 11:59 PM
If it does die, it'll be very unfortunate. I'm sure a lot of people, including me, will miss it. However, "ah well."

1000possibleclaws
05-12-2010, 12:23 AM
You staff Serb, it comes back to bite your ass. Or alternatively, there's the traders disputes theory..

sez
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Serb is a baller,he'd probably bail em if they hadn't kicked him out.

There are plenty of alternatives to paypal though I think the best one is where they don't require people to register so as to transact.All you need is your credit card and the money goes directly to the tracker's bank account,risky but works.

http://payments.intuit.com/

eram
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
so why are they asking to donate more to paypal but have issues with it?
please explain.

chrisbeebops
05-12-2010, 05:51 PM
please explain.It is a new paypal account.

Trackers get screwed by PayPal all the time, even if it doesn't make the announcements. PayPal can just arbitrarily freeze an account without much explanation and hold your money for several months. Trackers are pretty stuck because they can't just come out and say hey these are donations for my bittorrent tracker, give it back.

Theres lots of different ways trackers can get fucked over by PayPal. Some people will donate (for invites or otherwise) and later get banned for trading or cheating, so they'll file a bullshit dispute with PayPal. Trackers can just refund the money, but after a certain arbitrary threshold of disputes, PayPal will freeze the account.

If someone donates with a stolen PayPal account or credit card, PayPal will screw the tracker even harder. And yes, traders and sellers can and do sink this low. And people wonder why trackers are so hard against traders and sellers........ :/

sake
05-12-2010, 06:25 PM
please explain. and later get banned for trading or cheating, so they'll file a bullshit dispute with PayPal.

So, i just don`t understand. What the banned users are going to pursue from the tracker? It`s been their fault. So, their money are gone and that is all. What is the problem? And why trackers must use paypal? Is there any other solution? :ermm:

TraLaLa
05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
only 3 mass pm about it ;)

stoi
05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
A: Paypal take the side of the "buyer" (donor) not the "seller" (tracker), its the same on ebay, if you get a lot of chargebacks because you did not deliver the goods (and even if you did deliver them), Paypal will suspend your account. well a tracker is the same as an ebay seller to Paypal, lots of chargebacks in a short period, and they will suspend the account.

B: Because the donators donate that way, I put on moneybrookers, and used to have Egold on the site, Egold I got 0 in 2 years, Moneybrookers I got 2 donations in 6 months, so of couse I took them both off. Also Paypal you can set it up so when someone donates, everything gets done auto for the member, other places will take more work (coding) if its even possible at all.

Yes paypal sucks for the most part, but its easy for the tracker and the majority of donors, so thats the choosen method, even though I am looking into other options atm for my site, its just whether the members will use the other options, thats the problem. (and whether the Host will as well).

Slickerey
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Trackers would have more options instead of PayPal if hosting providers didn't only rely on PayPal...

sake
05-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you, stoi.

Pwner101
05-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Egold is worse than paypal if you ask me.
Too much of a hassle. We tried egold for a while on my site like 6 yrs ago.
We had a few users send donations with it.. trouble was..
you get gold. You have to then exchange the GOLD for real currency.
In order to do this Egold lists Gold buyers who are supposed to mail you a check for the currency you transfer to them.
Of the 3 attempts that I tried doing this the buyers were retarded and didn't transfer the right amounts. For instance one was supposed to send a check for $50 and they only sent a check for 50 cents. When I filed a dispute the egold people were equally as retarded and told me the guy was no longer doing transfers with them and the money was lost. Yet they had a nice logo showing any people listed on the site as gold buyers were insured. I don't see the point in using Egold never tried the other one stoi mentioned but im guessing they are equally as awful and experience.

McArty
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM
If someone donates with a stolen PayPal account or credit card, PayPal will screw the tracker even harder.
That makes no f... sense, there is no way the tracker can control if the account is stolen or not. Paypal should go against the perpetrator, and not against the tracker. Its like thieves going to rob a bank and the police would detain the bank workers and not the thieves.

J-dye
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
:01:

chrisbeebops
05-13-2010, 12:42 PM
If someone donates with a stolen PayPal account or credit card, PayPal will screw the tracker even harder.
That makes no f... sense, there is no way the tracker can control if the account is stolen or not. Paypal should go against the perpetrator, and not against the tracker. Its like thieves going to rob a bank and the police would detain the bank workers and not the thieves.PayPal doesn't need a valid reason. They just freeze the account and put it under "investigation" and you can't move money in or out for months...

dvdasacd
05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I think if the torrent site does it through a third party site that looks legit, and is totally unrelated (like a 'donation site' for something else or some sort of legit looking online ebook store or something) then there's a lot of protection against this.

Because the user can't prove that it's linked to the torrent site they're complaining about and there's no proof that paypal can find of it either.

Demonoid do this (did? can't see donate button anymore), and definitely others, can't remember which ones though.

Quarterquack
05-13-2010, 05:37 PM
That makes no f... sense, there is no way the tracker can control if the account is stolen or not. Paypal should go against the perpetrator, and not against the tracker. Its like thieves going to rob a bank and the police would detain the bank workers and not the thieves.

Easily the worst heist artist on these boards.

I'll use the same analogy, except, I'll change it around a bit. It's like a bunch of thieves that go rob a bank (in this case a paypal account), then move/store all the money in another bank account (which by sane assumptions has to be theirs').

If money is stolen and put it into another account, the second account has to be frozen, as it could be a simple account to collect the stolen money.

Paypal has no option but to freeze the account the money is sent to, regardless of any good reputation.

McArty
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Easily the worst heist artist on these boards.

I'll use the same analogy, except, I'll change it around a bit. It's like a bunch of thieves that go rob a bank (in this case a paypal account), then move/store all the money in another bank account (which by sane assumptions has to be theirs').

If money is stolen and put it into another account, the second account has to be frozen, as it could be a simple account to collect the stolen money.

Paypal has no option but to freeze the account the money is sent to, regardless of any good reputation.

So, if i steal a paypal account and send the money to you (your paypal account), they would freeze your account? There is no logic in that. Maybe reverse the fake transaction, and go against me if they can find me...

Quarterquack
05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
They have to freeze my account if you did so. Tell me this: You just hacked a bank account, where would you route the wire transfer to?

Honestly, it's not a hard concept to understand. They will freeze my account because, simply, they have no idea if (in this case) my account is an accomplice or not.

McArty
05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
They have to freeze my account if you did so. Tell me this: You just hacked a bank account, where would you route the wire transfer to?

Honestly, it's not a hard concept to understand. They will freeze my account because, simply, they have no idea if (in this case) my account is an accomplice or not.

Right, then i hack an account, send money to buy something to amazon; next step, they freeze amazons account.

Polarbear
05-13-2010, 09:02 PM
If anonymous money transactions via internet were possible, Switzerland would be broke.

Quarterquack
05-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Right, then i hack an account, send money to buy something to amazon; next step, they freeze amazons account.

Pretty much why Amazon doesn't deal with paypal, isn't it? Look you can keep trying to make me look like an idiot all day long, or you could just admit you're wrong about your theory and move on.

McArty
05-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Pretty much why Amazon doesn't deal with paypal, isn't it? Look you can keep trying to make me look like an idiot all day long, or you could just admit you're wrong about your theory and move on.

I am not trying to make you look like an idiot (and if you feel that way i apologize), i admit i have not much idea on the matter. Only was trying to make sense of it. Also used the Amazon as an example, but could be any other established place that uses paypal.

lysine
05-14-2010, 03:31 AM
i admit i have not much idea on the matter

visit paypalsucks.com and google for more info. paypal is notoriously crooked.

Comfort101
05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I think anyone who has done business on eBay before can agree paypal sucks and sometimes shady as well. They almost never side with the seller so if anything goes wrong with any transaction, it would take quite awhile to clear and start moving again.

McArty
05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Nevermind. (I was going to post a link to an entry regarding the matter, FSF, but there is some kind of filter). Sorry...