PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sectors

Grumpybear2000
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
My laptop hard disk is good for first partition but second partition has bad sectors. It will do a quick format on the second partition but is slow doing a full format. Is there a program that might fix it so it can be used there is 12gig of space.

darkstate01
05-15-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.gold-software.com/download7605.html
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm both are great,If you are a linux user look at programs used on that os that can do a more accurate job,but the above 2 are good for starters

anon
05-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes, a level 4 (or 5) SpinRite scan should do. If it can't recover the data on those bad sectors and place them on "healthy" ones, at least it should mark them as unusable so that you can use the disk without worries.

Expeto
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
grab the hiren boot CD, almost any hdd tool in it capable of fixing it, killdisk and norton ghost are little more userfriendly.

ihab22222
06-01-2010, 02:24 AM
You can use HDD regenarator and star from dos it will take a long time but good.

sanfer
06-03-2010, 06:39 AM
thanks for informations, I have a HD 500gb with same problem

:D

whatsalah
08-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't know your hd model, but if you look at the manufacterer's page, you'll find some useful software which work in many cases.

Appzalien
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
HDD Regenerator works by alternating the magnetic fields of each bad bit back and forth to recover it without destrying your data, but as mentioned it can take days on a really large drive. If its just that, bad magnetic fields, the recovery should be good but if the heads are hitting the disk forget it, those areas are toast and you can bet there will be more coming. If thats the case, recover your files now before they're gone forever and replace the drive. Remember, something has to cause bad sectors and if the cause is not corrected then they will come back, a power failure is one way to get bad sectors when the machine goes down while writing to the hard drive. As long as the heads don't touch the platters, those areas can be recovered.

vthl
08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
i think the vendors own digonastic tool might help