PDA

View Full Version : Help With My System!

pants
10-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Since downloading and installing Photoshop 7, my system resources have gone right down.
Here is the report:

Operating System: Windows 98
Version: 4.10 A
System architecture: 450 mhz Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in memory: 128 MB
Free memory: 0 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 111 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
Use image cache for histograms: No
Application folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP 7.0\
Temporary file path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O disabled
Scratch volume(s):
Startup, 37.25 GB, 32.88 GB free

As I type this I have 25% resources free.
As you can see, I have a pretty basic system.
Question: how can I free up more resources?
Maybe I should download the more basic Photoshop Elements?

Thanks,
P

foot loose
10-30-2003, 12:05 AM
paint shop pro 7

System Requirements

Minimum
Pentium process or equivalent
Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP
32 MB of RAM
CD-ROM Drive
75 MB of disk space
256-color display adapter at 800x600 resolution
Recommended
500 MHz or better processor
128 MB of RAM
32 bit colour display adapter at 1024x768 resolution

when u close paint shop dose ur pc speed up??

zapjb
10-30-2003, 01:01 AM
If you can swing it & your mobo can handle it. Buy a 512MB stick of RAM for ~$40. Or even a 256MB.

abu_has_the_power
10-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by pants@29 October 2003 - 23:29
Since downloading and installing Photoshop 7, my system resources have gone right down.
Here is the report:

Operating System: Windows 98
Version: 4.10 A
System architecture: 450 mhz Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in memory: 128 MB
Free memory: 0 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 111 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
Use image cache for histograms: No
Application folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP 7.0\
Temporary file path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O disabled
Scratch volume(s):
Startup, 37.25 GB, 32.88 GB free

As I type this I have 25% resources free.
As you can see, I have a pretty basic system.
Maybe I should download the more basic Photoshop Elements?

Thanks,
P
i just have a question. if ur name by any chance Adil?

pants
10-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Yeah it does speed up a bit, resources recoup after a while.
It must be the slow 450mhz processor?
Don't really want to add any hardware as its a pretty old system.
Just wanted to know if there was anything I could do SETTINGS wise.
Will uninstalling some games like Hitman2 (classic!) help?

Oh....and no my name is not Adil. :D

InverseKinetix
10-30-2003, 10:27 AM
In photoshop preferences change the amount of RAM allocated to the app to about 25% of your total RAM. Definately change your stratch disk to somethingother than startup if you can.

lynx
10-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Most adobe products are extremely resource hungry. Although they are extremely good at what they do, like microsoft products they are full of bloatware.

25% resources free is very low, the processor will be having a hard time keeping track of the resources used, never mind doing any actual work. Notice that the free memory is zero - this means that Win98 is having to swap things out to virtual memory (disk) all the time, which is why performance is so poor.

You need get more memory or reduce the amount of memory used by Photoshop. Uninstalling your games should not have any effect.

Does Photoshop put a quick launcher into the Startup task folder in the same way that office does, I can't remember? If so, I would strongly recommend you remove it. All these things do is launch a program which preloads large parts of the applications, but if you are short of resources you are using them up all the time, instead of just when you want them.

cwctv
10-30-2003, 12:09 PM

Take all programs that start up on boot up ie printers office scanners etc they gobble resources just leave things like your anti-virus rundll's etc.

What do you have on first boot in around 95% ?

Removing games etc won't do anything unless you need more space.

Startup, 37.25 GB, 32.88 GB free - what the hell is that the h/drive ?

InverseKinetix
10-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by lynx@30 October 2003 - 21:07
Does Photoshop put a quick launcher into the Startup task folder in the same way that office does, I can't remember? If so, I would strongly recommend you remove it. All these things do is launch a program which preloads large parts of the applications, but if you are short of resources you are using them up all the time, instead of just when you want them.
I think photoshop installs Adobegammaloader.exe at startup, you can safely disable this if you're using windows or your graphics cards software to manage colour. Its an unnecessary startup.

Go START>>>>run>>>>type msconfig hit enter, go to startup and remove the check from next to AdobeGammaLoader.

abu_has_the_power
10-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by pants@30 October 2003 - 09:24
Yeah it does speed up a bit, resources recoup after a while.
It must be the slow 450mhz processor?
Don't really want to add any hardware as its a pretty old system.
Just wanted to know if there was anything I could do SETTINGS wise.
Will uninstalling some games like Hitman2 (classic!) help?

Oh....and no my name is not Adil. :D
oh, ok. cuz i know this dude who's obsessed with the word pants, just like how i'm obsesed with abu. lol. ok

pants
10-31-2003, 08:24 AM
You guys have been wicked, thanks for the help.
I've disabled programs in my Start up, and take the RAM used by Paintshop down to 29% (It won't allow me to go down to 25%).
InverseKinetix: the only other option for scratch disk is C: drive, instead of start up. What is this? And will it help to change to C:?

abu: if I see Adil at the next Pants Convention, I'll tell him you say hi. :)

3RA1N1AC
10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
the scratch disk option only has an effect when you have multiple hard drives. if you only have a C: partition, that option does nothing.

_John_Lennon_
10-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, aside from having more RAM, doesnt anyone else see that the fact he is under the system requirements for his processor, a problem? I mean, he is running photoshop on a 450Mhz computer, the most recent version, as opposed to the minimum of 500Mhz.... (which I wouldnt suggest running it on a 500Mhz anyway.) <_<

pants
11-01-2003, 09:06 AM
So......should I try Photoshop Elements instead? That will be a smaller programme no?
What is missing from Elements compared to Photshop 7?
Thanks again,
P

pants
11-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Bump

3RA1N1AC
11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@31 October 2003 - 13:33
Well, aside from having more RAM, doesnt anyone else see that the fact he is under the system requirements for his processor, a problem? I mean, he is running photoshop on a 450Mhz computer, the most recent version, as opposed to the minimum of 500Mhz.... (which I wouldnt suggest running it on a 500Mhz anyway.)&nbsp; <_<
it wasn&#39;t obvious? P-shop is a hog. it&#39;s a great program, but it needs lots of MHZ and RAM because it&#39;s a haaaawwwwwwwwwg.

and i just make it a personal policy to not tell people to upgrade, because people just don&#39;t want to hear that. they usually either don&#39;t have the money to upgrade, or they don&#39;t see why they should because their old computer still does a great job of running internet explorer, aol instant messenger, and kazaa.

_John_Lennon_
11-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Well when a program doesnt run very well on their current setup, and they want to run it, upgrading seems to be about the only solution.......

pants
11-05-2003, 09:19 AM
So running a smaller program like Photoshop Elements will give me the same problems?

3RA1N1AC
11-05-2003, 09:34 AM
unless someone can point out tests proving the contrary, i doubt that Photoshop Elements is any "smaller" or faster than Photoshop. it is simply the same program with some features removed. anything that can be accomplished with Photoshop Elements would not be done any faster than with Photoshop-- the only difference is the type of things you can do, not the speed at which they&#39;re done.

pants
11-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Ok...so my only option is to upgrade.
On this note, I would like to point out that I am not experiencing any slow-down or efficiency on my PC. I was just concerned that my Resources where quite low. At the mo I&#39;m at 75%.
Is there a level at which one should become concerned?

Thanks again,

P

lynx
11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
How long is a piece of string?

Since we don&#39;t know exactly what resources you have, nor how microsoft measure these resources or which ones are most important in your particular setup it is impossible to give a meaningful figure. I&#39;ve seen systems with 90% resources free which have been running really slowly, and others with 50% free with no noticable degradation.

The bottom line is that the resources figure applies to YOUR machine, and by monitoring the resource meter you can see when available resources are falling and should possibly think about closing down some of your programs.

pants
11-12-2003, 09:25 PM
:huh:
Excellent, my resources are good now, looks like the advice from this thread has worked wonders.
Thanks to all&#33;