PDA

View Full Version : Newzbin Usenet Indexer Shuts Down After Court Defeat

Rart
05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
http://torrentfreak.com/images/newzbin.jpgNewzbin Usenet Indexer Shuts Down After Court Defeat
May 18, 2010

" Newzbin, the Internet’s premier Usenet indexer, has pulled the plug today marking the end of an era. The operators of the site cite the lost legal battle against the MPA as the main reason for the shutdown. Apparently, the court case drained the site’s financial resources.

Newzbin is one of the original Usenet indexing sites and the creator of the immensely-popular .NZB format, which opened up simplified Usenet downloading to the masses.

While the major BitTorrent sites were in Hollywood’s spotlights as the major source of copyright infringement, Usenet sites such as Newzbin remained untouched.

This changed, however, when the Motion Picture Association (MPA), the MPAA’s big brother, sent a threatening letter to the site’s operators in 2008.

This letter was followed by an official announcement of a lawsuit against the Usenet indexer early 2009. The case eventually went to the High Court in February of this year where Newzbin was found liable for copyright infringement.

The court ordered the company that operates the site to stop indexing movies and TV shows to which the Hollywood studios own the copyrights. In addition, Newzbin was told to pay court costs for the MPA, which apparently bankrupted their operation.

“Regrettably the Newzbin website has to close as a result of the legal action against us,” the site’s visitors can now read on Newzbin’s homepage.

The Usenet indexer is linking to a blog post (http://deepsharer.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/newzbin-gossip/) which has additional details on Newzbin’s troubles.

“Apparently Newzbin has been put into administration yesterday because it couldn’t pay its debts. Word is that they owe the MPA £230,000 just in interim costs, and that’s without a full costs ruling or a decision on damages. Apparently they also owe a software development house over £500k,” it reads.

Thus far we haven’t been able to verify the legitimacy of these claims with the Newzbin team, but since the post is linked on the homepage we assume it holds some truth. We will update this article when we find out more."

From the above linked blog post:

However the rumour is that someone hacked their servers and grabbed the code and several databases...And another Usenet indexer also turned up running, ahem, similar looking code.

If that is right I’m guessing a clone site will spring up soon, or maybe several...

Lesson to MPAA douchebags: Take one down, and several more will just pop up in it's place ;)

:source: Source: Newzbin Usenet Indexer Shuts Down After Court Defeat (http://torrentfreak.com/newzbin-usenet-indexer-shuts-down-after-court-defeat-100518/):view: Homepage: TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com)

Appzalien
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Man those guys are just begging for a boycott. I've been buying cheap movies for 3 or 4 dollars from the discount stores. They're a few years old and sometimes they're finicy, but I do my part. I'd also be willing to forgo that outlet for say 6 months or so if I thought it would do any good.
I already stopped buying music, and I don't download any either except for the occasional FTP posted ones that I want for musical purposes (slow down to learn the chord progression etc.).
Back in the 60's this would be big trouble for the media giants but todays youth are not as anti-establishment.

WHiKWiRE
05-19-2010, 12:04 AM
arm the cannons fst is next.

Cabalo
05-19-2010, 12:31 AM
arm the cannons fst is next.
Not really, due to our very low retention. :)

darkstate01
05-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I can see sometime in the not to distant future, places that Index NZB's will be as common as google, These places will purely exist on a timescale of maybe a year at a time per site, But as the post says it will be a 100% clone of the site that has just disappeared.
This would totally fook with the heads of "the man" as they will be overwhelmed by Indexers everywhere, and seen as they only exist for a year at a time, the court cases would be far and few between.
Think about it, a domain name cost less that £5 per year and you have your hosting account to pay for, thats it.
so long as you tell your users what the next sites gonna be called it should be good to go.
Beware all Indexer's , you are officially in the crosshairs of big brother.

cubbyche
05-19-2010, 02:09 AM
WOW Last night I was searching on it and today there gone very sad to see them go!

SonsOfLiberty
05-19-2010, 05:16 AM
:lol:

Wow. Slightly freaked that Newzbin has both closed AND linked to this blogpost to give an explanation. Just to say, I am nothing to do with Newzbin but I am (OK, was, it would seem) an editor and I knew the original guys fairly well via IRC.

I’ll see if I can get answers to questions asked below and post the replies in new blogposts.

As someone in comments said, there is a newzbin users group on irc.freenode.net #newzbin

And to think that was the guys "4th" blog post, he just started that blog oh, Jan 14th, not another pot until Newzbin....what luck, that guys blog will sky rocket, he better get to blogging.

cherio
05-19-2010, 05:56 AM
many good alternatives still out there; NZBs.org and NzbsRus

captive
05-19-2010, 06:45 AM
begining of the end of nzb, maybe. bittorrent is under constant attack was only a matter of time. didnt use my account much but i liked to have a look there now and again.

anthoj
05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
many good alternatives still out there; NZBs.org and NzbsRus

nzbs.org isn't accepting any new registrations. I don't know about nzbsrus.

iLOVENZB
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
People still feel the need to pay for nzbs? What a joke. Some search engines even have a RSS feed for groups if that's your defense for lazyness or lack of knowledge.

c0ld
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
People still feel the need to pay for nzbs? What a joke. Some search engines even have a RSS feed for groups if that's your defense for lazyness or lack of knowledge.yawn.

SonsOfLiberty
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the next target is NZBMatrix, considering there the biggest NZB site now, won't be long.

iLOVENZB
05-20-2010, 07:44 AM
People still feel the need to pay for nzbs? What a joke. Some search engines even have a RSS feed for groups if that's your defense for lazyness or lack of knowledge.yawn.

I rest my case.

darkstate
05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
My worry is that they are only treating the symptoms to the errr, "problem" The copyright infringing files still exist on usenet servers. I know usenet has been around since the early eighties and has enjoyed a somewhat untouchable status but all the binary posts have steadily migrated away from ISP servers. Whether we like it or not, there are companies profiting from pirates (yes I have my eye patch on as we speak) and that's what our friends at the MPA despise.

c0ld
05-20-2010, 11:47 PM
yawn.

I rest my case.
I think it's become quite obvious in the past few days how much of a service Newzbin actually provided for the small fee it charged. Matrix's rss feeds have failed under the strain of trying to pick up the baton and Nzbs.org have pre-emptively shut their doors to new registrations to protect their servers. I suspect if binsearch's feeds were reliable enough to use they'd fall over too. That just leaves nzbindex and it's anyone guess how long they last.

Running a professional service costs money, cowboy outfits like matrix and ad driven sites like nzbindex/binsearch can't provide that same level. Details of Newzbin's server farm used to be in the docs and it was pretty impressive to say the least.

c0ld
05-22-2010, 03:33 PM
WOW Last night I was searching on it and today there gone very sad to see them go!

WOW Last night I was searching on it and today there gone very sad to see them go!wtf?

Rart
05-22-2010, 05:56 PM
A (lazy) attempt at posting mindless drivel to get privs to access the invites section. It's been deleted.

webguy2008
05-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I have not found any good alternatives to newzbins now that they are gone, anyone have a good recommendation on another good site?

iLOVENZB
05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
http://www.usenetshack.com/nzb-replace-newzbin-list-newzbin-alternatives/