PDA

View Full Version : Norton Stopping

wormless
10-30-2003, 04:42 AM
doees anyone know what this is?
NMAP XMAS SCAN

wormless
10-30-2003, 04:58 AM
*bump* maybe its not important it mentions my name is it saying im high risk? downloadin and sharing on shareaza thats all running and i turn monitor on 2 get this high risk .got home bout 2hrs ago now?

imported_Catracho
10-30-2003, 05:39 AM
someone is scanning ur pc...nothing serious since if ur running a firewall

wormless
10-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Catracho@30 October 2003 - 05:39
someone like riaa or uk people? thx they can get us now u know.

imported_Catracho
10-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by wormless+30 October 2003 - 06:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wormless @ 30 October 2003 - 06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Catracho@30 October 2003 - 05:39
someone like riaa or uk people? thx they can get us now u know. [/b][/quote]
nah riaa uk people cannt afford to do a scan like that since it&#39;s illegal to scan any ip address. If they did it they would have to break the law not that they dont anyways <_<

This event indicates that an intruder is scanning your computer for available TCP services by sending "Xmas-tree" packets. These packets have the a sequence number of zero and the FIN, URG, and PUSH flags set. This packet should never be seen in normal TCP operation.

wormless
10-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Catracho+30 October 2003 - 05:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Catracho @ 30 October 2003 - 05:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by wormless@30 October 2003 - 06:40
<!--QuoteBegin-Catracho@30 October 2003 - 05:39
someone like riaa or uk people? thx they can get us now u know.
nah riaa uk people cannt afford to do a scan like that since it&#39;s illegal to scan any ip address. If they did it they would have to break the law not that they dont anyways <_<

This event indicates that an intruder is scanning your computer for available TCP services by sending "Xmas-tree" packets. These packets have the a sequence number of zero and the FIN, URG, and PUSH flags set. This packet should never be seen in normal TCP operation. [/b][/quote]
we can get done in uk now 4 sharing and downloading. i aint scared nortons protecting at moment. see if the trsckers working now wasnt when i clicked on it earlier.

where did u get the info from please?

imported_Catracho
10-30-2003, 05:58 AM
sorry about not posting the source...i really think it&#39;s nothing to worry about.

here is the source: http://www.digitaltrust.it/arachnids/IDS30/event.html

wormless
10-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Catracho@30 October 2003 - 05:58
sorry about not posting the source...i really think it&#39;s nothing to worry about.

here is the source: http://www.digitaltrust.it/arachnids/IDS30/event.html
ok thankyou. norton stopped them then and said it was high risk. thx for your hep much appriechiated (spelling)

nikita69
10-30-2003, 06:03 AM
someone is snorting ur pc. disconnect from interent, run av. review logs, post or pm me with some suspecious results (don&#39;t post ur ip). it&#39;s possible to be either a "backdoor attack" or "ddos attack"

wormless
10-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@30 October 2003 - 06:03
someone is snorting ur pc. disconnect from interent, run av. review logs, post or pm me with some suspecious results (don&#39;t post ur ip). it&#39;s possible to be either a "backdoor attack" or "ddos attack"
done the tracker and it came up with a college in us it questions location so its not sure

k-liteuserintheworld
10-30-2003, 06:47 AM
wormless update:- her pc is now unplugged from the network and norton is currently scanning, I dont understand how something manages to get through, my pc(this one) acts as the server for the house network, it has the same norton internet security 2003 running, I also have the windows xp firewall running, I know the windows one is probably not that good but I see it as a little bit of extra protection, so how would something just go straight past my pc and get to her pc, wouldn&#39;t my firewall detect something? also wouldn&#39;t we both be attacked as we are on the same ip address? :unsure:

nikita69
10-30-2003, 07:49 AM
@wormless & k-liteuserintheworld - are u both on the same IP, the same PC or neither?
@wormless - if that college ip is the suspecious act, then they have been snorting ur pc. If u have another pc, download the latest updates of ur firewall & AV on a disk. install them to ur pc then run av on all hd.
@k-liteuserintheworld - u could be infected too if it&#39;s a diff pc on the same network. many people follow the step-by-step guide of setting up the network, yet fail to complete the security steps (policies, rules, user limitation or removal, etc...)

I&#39;m not a miracle worker, yet a bit more detailed info would help, such as packet info, actions taken by snort, what were u doing before and after, etc....

wormless
10-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@30 October 2003 - 07:49
@wormless & k-liteuserintheworld - are u both on the same IP, the same PC or neither?
@wormless - if that college ip is the suspecious act, then they have been snorting ur pc. If u have another pc, download the latest updates of ur firewall & AV on a disk. install them to ur pc then run av on all hd.
@k-liteuserintheworld - u could be infected too if it&#39;s a diff pc on the same network. many people follow the step-by-step guide of setting up the network, yet fail to complete the security steps (policies, rules, user limitation or removal, etc...)

I&#39;m not a miracle worker, yet a bit more detailed info would help, such as packet info, actions taken by snort, what were u doing before and after, etc....
ive scanned mine offline and its cleared of viros e.t.c.

which log file is it?
we have 5pcs on 1 network.
norton is up-to-date with latest definitions. 29/10/03 last update.

nortons tracker as i didnt post details. the college was:

org name: ithuca
org id: ithaca
address: s&dp, philliph hall
city: ithaca
state provence: NY
location --- where its found it has a ? it thinks syracuse.

i left pc runnin while i was at work it was only using shareaza so it cud be someone from there.as it shows ips.

8hrs 15mins later we come home and i turn monitor on and i see nortons red alert. show details yes but the tracker again wasnt working. 2hrs later i check tracker and see college. before work i was on this k-lite board and thats it. msn loaded up and i shut it down.

nikita69
10-30-2003, 08:23 AM
what i think happened is this snort, if it did really happen, it disable/flooded norton av, then went about it&#39;s other steps.

do u have a fw installed? i prefer sygate, yet have a cisco hardware firewall on my main pc and in transition to convert the whole network to it (A LOT MORE PROTECTION than software) if u have fw installed, then paste the suspected ip&#39;s packets.

run av on all every pc in the network.
l

wormless
10-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@30 October 2003 - 08:23
what i think happened is this snort, if it did really happen, it disable/flooded norton av, then went about it&#39;s other steps.

do u have a fw installed? i prefer sygate, yet have a cisco hardware firewall on my main pc and in transition to convert the whole network to it (A LOT MORE PROTECTION than software) if u have fw installed, then paste the suspected ip&#39;s packets.

run av on all every pc in the network.
l
the tracker doesnt always load up though.
ive had this b4 and so has my bf. i think i should have zonealarm running whilst out too. yes we have firewalls on all pcs norton. my bf has 2 firewalls on his. each pc had norton instaled on them 2003 waiting 4 2oo4 upgrade to come out

nikita69
10-30-2003, 08:39 AM
i just wanna be clear about couple of points:
1. have u disconnected the internet on all PCs and ran the AV on all? if not do so now
2. does each pc have it&#39;s own fw?

wormless
10-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@30 October 2003 - 08:39
i just wanna be clear about couple of points:
1. have u disconnected the internet on all PCs and ran the AV on all? if not do so now
2. does each pc have it&#39;s own fw?
all the 5pcs has its own fw as stated in other msg. my pc is the only one been scanned i will do the others now

nikita69
10-30-2003, 08:45 AM
ok, let me know when ur ready and post any unusual results from AV. i may or may not be here by the time ur done, yet i&#39;ll check again. :)

wormless
10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@30 October 2003 - 08:45
ok, let me know when ur ready and post any unusual results from AV. i may or may not be here by the time ur done, yet i&#39;ll check again. :)
i&#39;ll do it later going bed now ok :) thx for your help aswell&#33; bbl