PDA

View Full Version : A bit paranoid (email related)

Zoness
05-25-2010, 04:32 AM
This may be a dumb question but I use my .edu email address for practically everything. Would it be stupid to use it on BT trackers to keep track of PMs and what not? I mean, in theory if anyone ever got a hold of it they would have my name and University. But then again, that is pretty paranoid.

What do you think about it?

Cabalo
05-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Don't use such email addresses. They give up too much about you, and most trackers don't give a shit about your privacy, only theirs.
Give as little info as possible about you, whenever you can.

Zoness
05-25-2010, 04:38 AM
True, true...in the event of a raid I'd be shat on as well, unless you want to apply the principal of "security by obscurity" but still on some trackers I have pretty amazing ratios.

anonymous0711
05-25-2010, 04:53 AM
honestly i wouldnt do it, personally i've tried to keep my accounts as far away from anything that can be easily traced back to my name as possible and would suggest you do the same...
Just for the record you arent downloading on your schools network are you b/c thats also a huge no-no
but yes as for the original subject just create a gmail(it seems to be the preferred e-mail of most trackers) and keep connect your trackers to that its just easier and a little safer

Zoness
05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
honestly i wouldnt do it, personally i've tried to keep my accounts as far away from anything that can be easily traced back to my name as possible and would suggest you do the same...
Just for the record you arent downloading on your schools network are you b/c thats also a huge no-no
but yes as for the original subject just create a gmail(it seems to be the preferred e-mail of most trackers) and keep connect your trackers to that its just easier and a little safer

Oh no I am certainly not downloading on the school network that's why I have my seedbox that doubles as a VPN. Also do you recommend having an account JUST for trackers? That seems a bit extreme for me since I don't like using multiple emails frequently. I have no problem using a standard Gmail as my common email.

tippertime
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
a lot of trackers let you change your email...i would go ahead and do that where you can

n00bz0r
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
a lot of trackers let you change your email...i would go ahead and do that where you can

your old email id still stays on their db.
if you get your '[email protected]' email id changed to '[email protected]', the system would log it as: email id changed from '[email protected]' to '[email protected]' on 'date' by 'name of staffer'. So,it'd hardly make any difference.

Be careful about using your 'other' email id in the future whenever you signup to any site.

anon
05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Use a GMail account from now on instead of your .edu address. If you're registering on an open tracker just to check it out, have a look at this:
http://www.spambog.com/en/home.htm

graywolf
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Use a GMail account from now on instead of your .edu address. If you're registering on an open tracker just to check it out, have a look at this:
http://www.spambog.com/en/home.htm

Won't work with private ones? :eyebrows:

anon
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
It should work on most of them, but you'll probably want to use a GMail addy for those. :happy:

Zac090
05-25-2010, 05:40 PM

you can do that on every tracker actually,but on some you may need the staff to do that for you

TraLaLa
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
+ a good reason why you want that,not trade :ermm:

anon
05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
The original e-mail associated to that account was hijacked with no chance of recovery, or you simply don't use it anymore? :unsure:

7th
05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Would it be stupid to think that this depends on what country you're installed in?

I mean... There are lots of countries that you shouldn't be so worried about that while in others you should definitely be!

What do you think?

dag128
05-27-2010, 01:13 AM
I've got an seperate email account for these purposes. I would never use an adress where people could track it back to me. But hey, that's just me :)

Zoness
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Would it be stupid to think that this depends on what country you're installed in?

I mean... There are lots of countries that you shouldn't be so worried about that while in others you should definitely be!

What do you think?

That may have some degree of importance when it comes to filesharing but then comes a point about when is it safe to distribute a "personal" email address versus a "public" one. Actually that's an interesting question, I am curious of everyone's opinion.

I think instead of managing a whole different email account I am going to make an email alias on my webserver and have it auto-forward to one of my main email addresses, do you think that is acceptable?

654654sdsgs
06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
use Gmail for tracker sign ups.

babab007
06-01-2010, 05:46 PM
just use gmail, its free btw.

anon
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
just use gmail

SMS confirmation :sick:

Everyone says they aren't asked to do it, but I am! :dabs:

graywolf
06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
just use gmail

SMS confirmation :sick:

Everyone says they aren't asked to do it, but I am! :dabs:

Yeah.. at first it wasn't there. But from last 5-6 months, its been coming (maybe). I've used up all the cellphones in my home.. :(

Zoness
06-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah I had a similar signup issue with SMS. I think I will just make a dummy account on my webserver for tracker signups

mrnobody
06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
i woudn't use .edu account on trackers. it isn't just about anti-piracy trying to track you down. often you hear about tracker db getting hacked. if you're in 10 or so trackers the risk is higher. each tracker will have about ~10 staffs who can look into your info. now staffs are meant to be 'trusted' people in the community, but there are several cases where it has gone wrong.

if gmail does not work, just get yahoomail, it works for most trackers.

anon
06-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Sometimes Yahoo won't do the job either, just look at stoi's last BCG code giveaway :lol:

Personally, FastMail has never let me down.

A13
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Reading all this, I say just get Gmail.... you should feel paranoid. Just get a gmail account.

Zoness
06-04-2010, 11:12 PM
i woudn't use .edu account on trackers. it isn't just about anti-piracy trying to track you down. often you hear about tracker db getting hacked. if you're in 10 or so trackers the risk is higher. each tracker will have about ~10 staffs who can look into your info. now staffs are meant to be 'trusted' people in the community, but there are several cases where it has gone wrong.

That is a very realistic issue, yeah I understand lots of hackers try to get lists of emails for spam and whatnot or maybe even more dangerous things. Yahoo has never let me down either, I'll consider that.

Never used FastMail before.

sear
06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
http://www.hushmail.com/ is good. Using your real email isn't smart What happens when someone decides to track you down and fuck with your shit which is much more likely than a 'raid' sparking the authorities interest imho.

and what's with gmail wanting sms confirmation. I got that the other day I was all o.O

AdrianPhoto
06-05-2010, 11:41 AM
GMail is the best for those private trackers..

anon
06-05-2010, 04:40 PM
and what's with gmail wanting sms confirmation. I got that the other day I was all o.O

GMail account sellers are having a real good time with SMS confirmation. :dry:

Zoness
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
GMail has had SMS confirmation for as long as I can remember...although I've only had experience with GMail dating back to late 2007.

anon
06-05-2010, 07:16 PM
GMail has had SMS confirmation for as long as I can remember...

As far as I know, they implemented it around July 2009, at least for my country. :unsure:

Speedo
06-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Just use gmail. I have over 7 accounts. That way you can walk away and say it's not yours.

Zoness
06-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Just use gmail. I have over 7 accounts. That way you can walk away and say it's not yours.

Wow 7 accounts seems a little excessive :P unless you are doing a ton of stuff besides p2p which makes sense. I guess the good part about Gmail at this point is that it is not as "social" as say Hotmail or Yahoo which has this profile and wants you to link your other sites via apps to it and what not, sounds like a bad idea to use such personal addresses in something like p2p.

What I am actually doing right now though I just making a dummy account on my webserver that has SendMail and Roundcube. The domain is whois protected and I plan on getting rid of it eventually anyways so I don't expect many problems there.

Rart
06-06-2010, 01:18 AM
GMail has had SMS confirmation for as long as I can remember...

As far as I know, they implemented it around July 2009, at least for my country. :unsure:

I got it for the first time a couple months ago when I was creating a new Gmail address. As far as I know, it only happened after I failed the image test ~5 times in a row/pressed a couple wrong buttons. When you do something odd/screw up a lot it probably gets suspicious and triggers something.

I'm guessing if you're using a proxy/creating multiple accounts within a short time frame (making it think you might be a bot) it'll get on your nerves.

It certainly doesn't happen to me on a regular basis, though.

anon
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing if you're using a proxy/creating multiple accounts within a short time frame (making it think you might be a bot) it'll get on your nerves.

Pretty strange, considering I very rarely use e-mail, in general. However, last time I tried to make a GMail account, it did make me type the captcha a lot of times for absolutely no reason, before redirecting me to the SMS confirmation screen. I guess Google just doesn't like me :idunno:

Cabalo
06-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Pretty strange, considering I very rarely use e-mail, in general. However, last time I tried to make a GMail account, it did make me type the captcha a lot of times for absolutely no reason, before redirecting me to the SMS confirmation screen. I guess Google just doesn't like me :idunno:
Maybe some staff from a certain tracker has sent your details to google. They are very powerful people. :yup:

anon
06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe some staff from a certain tracker has sent your details to google.

You've just given the term "global ban" a new meaning. :lol: