PDA

View Full Version : DVDs Could Hold 1,000x Capacity of Blu-rays With New Japanese Research

Darth Sushi
05-25-2010, 07:33 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2010/05/blu-ray.jpgDVDs Could Hold 1,000x Capacity of Blu-rays With New Japanese Research
By Kat Hannaford, May 24, 2010 10:03 AM

" While we're waiting for the Blu-ray Disc Association to upgrade discs to 128GB capacity, Japanese scientists have found a way to increase DVD capacity by 1,000 times—using just a slick of metal material over each disc.

According to Shin-ichy Ohkoshi, the chemistry professor at the University of Tokyo leading the project, painting a variant of titanium oxide onto a DVD will conduct electricity when put under light, but when taken away from light it turns back into black metal.

Although it's unlikely to hit the market—at least, not anytime before the BDA launches those new discs—the Japanese team's claims of the DVDs holding 1,000 more data than a Blu-ray certainly are impressive.

Blu-rays hold about five times the data of DVDs currently (25GB per single-layered disc and 50GB for dual-layered discs, compared to 4.7GB for single-layered DVDs or 8.5GB for double-layered), and despite millions each year buying a Blu-ray player, plenty more still own DVD players and have no plans to upgrade. [PhysOrg (http://www.physorg.com/news193896595.html)] "

:source: Source: http://gizmodo.com/5546171/dvds-could-hold-1000x-capacity-of-blu+rays-with-new-japanese-research

Skiz
05-25-2010, 08:41 AM
What a coincidence. Just as everyone has finally bought a Blu-Ray player, they start development on a new format. :dabs:

vwllss
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
What a coincidence. Just as everyone has finally bought a Blu-Ray player, they start development on a new format. :dabs:

How many times does the article need to say "DVD" for you to realize they're talking about modifying an old format? :P

Even if it was a new format, don't pretend like this is some sort of conspiracy. Welcome to technology.

mr. nails
05-25-2010, 02:20 PM
everyone has finally bought a Blu-Ray player...

good thing i haven't.

/stares @ a ps3

Sporkk
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Will the discs be readable on a standard dvd player?

Will these discs have to be manufactured or can you burn your own?

Calling it dvd after adding new materials is a bit misleading.

MariosX
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
But we have seen no proof yet.

Koush
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
If this "slick of metal material" works on a DVD, shouldn't the same be true for Blu-ray? The only difference (that i know of) between DVD and Blu-ray is the actual laser beam Blu-ray uses, which can read/write data a lot smaller than a regular DVD laser. So if a dvd can hold 1000x the capacity of Blu-ray with this new technology, shouldn't Blu-ray be able to hold shit-loads more?

darkstate01
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I'll believe it when i have 1 burning, And the cost?

BlueMax
05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
as long as movies don't need a format or media that require "1000x capacity of BD", I don't think this innovation will have any commercial success.

The Redbook CD is already obsolete and more and more people are downloading music to their iPods or some better media player.
Audiophiles are beginning to discover that storing files in a lossless format on an HD and streaming it, is far superior to the jitter ridden method of retrieving bits from an optical drive.

The notion of stroring data will soon be out of date.
With the ever increasing speed of the BB and beyond, consumers can play on demand, from huge databases of HD movies, bit perfect audio and w.h.y.

dag128
05-26-2010, 02:33 AM
I wonder what the costs will be, and what use do we have for a disc with that much capacity? As long as they are going for the 1080p standard, they will not need it. Anyway if would probably cost shitloads to get that comercialized enough for it to become regular.

BlueMax
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
will there be a re-writable version like CD-RW and DVD-RW ?
If so I will buy a pack of ten, when like CD-RW and DVD-RW, the price is less than 10p a disc.
:naughty:

mtow24
05-27-2010, 05:33 AM
will the metal or whatever those Japs are doin be able to be used for hard-drives so we can store hundreds of terabytes?

Eros-x
05-29-2010, 02:21 PM
My PS3 plays both DVD and Blu-ray, so i'm GOOD!

Appzalien
05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Besides longetivity (will they only last five years and then you can't read them?) there is also the fact they will not be compatible with todays optical drives so you will have to buy a new drive that burns at 2x speed, since they always start at the bottom and make you buy up. Can you imagine trying to backup 25TB of data at 2x speed? Weeks I'd imagine. So if they can't do 500x as fast, then they're pretty much usless for writable storage. Sometimes it seems as if they do not think things thru before they act and end up spending tons of our money to produce usless junk. And believe me they get the money by charging us ridiculous prices for other stuff they already make. Data storage with no movable parts and long lasting media is the future in my opinion, so its a waste of time and effort.

0ctane
05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Will the discs be readable on a standard dvd player?

Will these discs have to be manufactured or can you burn your own?

Calling it dvd after adding new materials is a bit misleading.

i'm guessing the laser will have to modifed to read to somewhat finer detailed disc's , if it is true :)