PDA

View Full Version : 8GB iso/image fits into 4.7GB DvD-r ?

iShare_iCare
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
8GB iso/image fits 4.7GB DvD-r

Is there anyway to burn
8GB iso/image to fit 4.7GB DvD-r ?

I have noticed that some windows iso image
when extracted, they are more than their original size.

I wonder how they did that ?

I have an 8GB iso of videos I want to burn them into 4.7GB DvD-r.
In other way I want to save some money :lol:

I did search in Google, but I didn't find any useful answer.

l33tpirata13
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
NO you cant burn 8gb into 4.7gb without quality loss. You can try using something like dvdshrink.

stone27
05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
yes of course you must compress it to 4.7gb and this result in loss of some quality and may may damage it then burn it using nero

iShare_iCare
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Its an iso image and not video,
In other words, How can I compress
the iso image ?

Re-encoding the videos its not
solution, It will result in the loss of the quality

megabyteme
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Dual layer disc should work.

The ISO is already a form of compression. These are usually broken up into (compressed) RAR files. I believe that the size of those RAR files would be about as small as you could get. Any time I have seen RARed files that were zipped, it was of almost no benefit.

If there is a way to do it, I don't believe it has been widely used, or invented yet...

iShare_iCare
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I know that Dual layer disc works.
But if I want to use Dual layer disc;
I will Not post this thread. Thanks

2GB can be burned into 700MB CD
the example of windows xp.iso
when it is extracted.

But How could they make
2GB fits in 1CD of 700MB ?

That is really amazing...

graywolf
05-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Personally, if you're just going to compress.. then there are lot of softwares.. A particular one, which took my interest was Win - UHARC. I never got around learning, how to use it.. But this software does wonders. For example, I compressed my FEAR iso of around 4.5 gb to 500 mb and FIFA 09, which i downloaded the skulluptra version, also uses this..

Though.. since you're going to burn iso.. then this won't work for you.

But yea.. If you want to just burn it, to fit it inside the DVD and then extract in your PC later.. then this software's pretty much good.

Skiz
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
8GB iso/image fits 4.7GB DvD-r

Is there anyway to burn
8GB iso/image to fit 4.7GB DvD-r ?

I have noticed that some windows iso image
when extracted, they are more than their original size.

I wonder how they did that ?

I have an 8GB iso of videos I want to burn them into 4.7GB DvD-r.
In other way I want to save some money :lol:

I did search in Google, but I didn't find any useful answer.

It isn't amazing at all; it's just compression. Games are the same way. Have you ever read the requirements when installing a game? They'll say something similar to "Needs 6GB of drive space for installation. After installation, game requires 2GB."

Also, DVDs cost like 25 cents a piece. Just buy a 10 pack for a few bucks on eBay. :unsure:

iShare_iCare
05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes you are right.
That's what am looking for.
How they can do that.

I wish I can buy sth from eBay or Amazon
But I can't. That's another topic.

in my country, 1 pack of 50 DvD-r costs 25$
but the problem, I spend a lot of money on DvD's
Because I download a lot of material from the net.

l33tpirata13
05-25-2010, 10:47 PM
gee, did i not say that dvdshrink will take care of your needs? yes, it takes iso's. :dabs:

iShare_iCare
05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Personally, if you're just going to compress.. then there are lot of softwares.. A particular one, which took my interest was Win - UHARC. I never got around learning, how to use it.. But this software does wonders. For example, I compressed my FEAR iso of around 4.5 gb to 500 mb and FIFA 09, which i downloaded the skulluptra version, also uses this..

Though.. since you're going to burn iso.. then this won't work for you.

But yea.. If you want to just burn it, to fit it inside the DVD and then extract in your PC later.. then this software's pretty much good.

Its good software for compressing ZIP, RAR, ACE, etc...
but in my case, I want iso image instead.

gee, did i not say that dvdshrink will take care of your needs? yes, it takes iso's. :dabs:
I didn't get your point sir.
Do you mean that dvdshrink can compress
8GB iso/image to fit into 4.7GB DvD-r ?

l33tpirata13
05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
:yup:

iShare_iCare
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
:yup:
No It doesn't work.
I think it works only DvD vidoes.
But I have Dvix Videos that is the problem.
and am getting this error "Invalid UDF File system"

l33tpirata13
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
you never said you were burning a mkv iso. Try using dvdfab. im not sure it'll compress it, but even if it does, you'd still get quality loss.

iShare_iCare
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
you never said you were burning a mkv iso. Try using dvdfab. im not sure it'll compress it, but even if it does, you'd still get quality loss.
That's what am afraid of.
Thanks anyway.;)

iShare_iCare
05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm Still looking for solution...

Slickerey
05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Also, DVDs cost like 25 cents a piece. Just buy a 10 pack for a few bucks on eBay. :unsure:

eBay is the best place to go to when you're looking for cheap stuff that actually works. :w00t:

Tv Controls you
05-28-2010, 12:29 AM
you problem is you burn media to disk, that is so 20 years ago.

I really only burn disks if I plan on bringing a movie to someone elses house who has a trashy setup, or if I'm burning an xbox game.

Split the movie into 4gb parts and burn onto two disks, if your so inclined to use dvd-r

Bestfriend81
05-28-2010, 02:43 AM
you can compress and change it to CSO. maybe less video if have

Skiz
05-28-2010, 03:31 AM
That's what am afraid of.
Thanks anyway.;)

Anytime you compress video onto a disc, you are going to get a loss of quality. End of story.

Either use a program like DVDShrink (as suggested) or buy BD25's.

iShare_iCare
05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Anytime you compress video onto a disc, you are going to get a loss of quality. End of story.

Yes I know that.
Have you ever tried to extract windows xp iso image ?
I have noticed that some windows iso image that are burned in 700MB CD when extracted, they are more than their original size.
may be 1.5GB or so.
I have just one question to find solution
how they could compress 1.5 GB into 700MB.iso ?

anon
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I have noticed that some windows iso image that are burned in 700MB CD when extracted, they are more than their original size.
may be 1.5GB or so.

The installation files inside the i386 folder in the CD are compressed with the MSCOMPRESS algorithm, that's why they fit in the disc and have an underscore instead of the last letter of their extension.

Skiz
05-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Yes I know that.
may be 1.5GB or so.

We already told you twice. It's compressed!

You are wanting to do the same thing with video. However, the video, when compressed will lose quality.

Windows isn't loading video onto the disc, they are loading data.

Got it?

Quarterquack
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
you problem is you burn media to disk, that is so 20 years ago.

Actually, that's his solution.

P.S. I don't really think anyone will get understand my comment, but that's the curse of a society that can differentiate between Disks and Discs. There, I explained it.

iShare_iCare
05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes I know that.
may be 1.5GB or so.

We already told you twice. It's compressed!

You are wanting to do the same thing with video. However, the video, when compressed will lose quality.

Windows isn't loading video onto the disc, they are loading data.

Got it?
Yes I got it.
So it's impossible.

Appzalien
05-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Compression works by using similar stuff to identify all the same things so compression of written words is the best. Imagine a novel written and inside the novel the word "and" "both" "murder" and "Jane Sparticus" appear hundreds of times throught the book. If the compression algorithm assigns the characters "1a" as and "2a" as both, 3a as "murder" and 4a as "Jane Sparticus" and then uses them to indicate where those longer names go, then you can imagine why text compresses so well. Other things like video do not compress well cause they're not text and every frame is slightly different.
As mentioned above, if you peruse an XP disk you'll see alot of Cab files or files with a _ at the extension which are also compressed (controlpanel._xe instead of controlpanel.exe) and those and cab files often compress written program files which use characters that can repeat just like a novel. In fortran programming for instance the words "for" and "if" or "then" are used repeatedly in writing fortan so they compress well into cab files.