PDA

View Full Version : A question for uk bt users

Totti
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
So here's the question.... I've met this guy from new zealand that works in IT in the uk and he was telling me that the Internet providers moniter your trafficing and block accouts if they suspect use of bt. Furthermore he told me that the govarment had the authority to check your pc for illegal content downloaded off the net, he basicly told me that if you download ten movies a week you will be caought and have your Internet account banned as a first warning.... I think he is exagerating but am I wrong ??? This seems to me as a major vialotion of privacy

Tokeman
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Unless you've installed some software, theres no easy way for them to 'check your pc' for illegal content.
As for monitoring your activities, yes, all your traffic goes through them, so they can monitor it to some extent.

backie
05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
So here's the question.... I've met this guy from new zealand that works in IT in the uk and he was telling me that the Internet providers moniter your trafficing and block accouts if they suspect use of bt. Furthermore he told me that the govarment had the authority to check your pc for illegal content downloaded off the net, he basicly told me that if you download ten movies a week you will be caought and have your Internet account banned as a first warning.... I think he is exagerating but am I wrong ??? This seems to me as a major vialotion of privacy

It's againist EU laws for ISPs to mointor your traffic. The DEA (Digial Econemy Act) isn't in force yet ethier, this act is commonly mistaken for a 3 strikes law. All this act does is make ISPs send you letters if they are informed your stealing shit. If proposes disconnection but this is highly unlikely to go into force since we have a new goverment.

However the goverment can legally remotely access your computer and get evidence on what you have, this is most likely for use by MI5 and Special Branch in the fight againist terrorism.

sake
05-26-2010, 05:36 AM

It's againist EU laws for ISPs to mointor your traffic. The DEA (Digial Econemy Act) isn't in force yet ethier, this act is commonly mistaken for a 3 strikes law. All this act does is make ISPs send you letters if they are informed your stealing shit. If proposes disconnection but this is highly unlikely to go into force since we have a new goverment.

However the goverment can legally remotely access your computer and get evidence on what you have, this is most likely for use by MI5 and Special Branch in the fight againist terrorism.

Here in Bulgaria it`s legal. They could and will watch the ISP`s information to finding out what you are downloading and from where. If you use https and some uTorrent encryption then then you will be safe (i am not 100% sure). The most important is that they can`t "scan" your PC, but could understand what you are downloading which is basically the same :)

AdrianPhoto
05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Just enable protocol encryption, visit your tracker via https (if they support it) get some VPN/SSH tunnel and ask the staff if you can use it.. download the .torrents as .txt or .zip if available.
You should be fine

BABBY
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
i am not an expert but i don't think that if u are using good spyware and firewall, its possible to monitor your pc.

I know some good hackers and experts and they also say that its not easy and more over more over u have to have different types of personalized approach for every different pc running different security related softwares and different os.

I don't think that ISP providers will be having that much time to give personalized approach to each user.

More over the persons hardly know anything except laning and seting up new connection.

But i am not 100% sure as i dont know every service provider.

Totti
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Ya I was thinking this huy was just being paranoid.... I told him so but he was all like I work in IT I know how things works so basically the dumb ass is limiting himself to a tv episode a week and is afraid to even talk about downloading

anon
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
(Full) protocol encryption does somewhat conceal torrent traffic, but that's not what it was meant to, and it isn't flawless. What you want is a VPN.

Totti
05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
(Full) protocol encryption does somewhat conceal torrent traffic, but that's not what it was meant to, and it isn't flawless. What you want is a VPN.

Im not from the UK I just wanted to get some more info on the subject because I have seen tons of uk users here and haven't heard about this until talking to this guy....

anon
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
My statement was made more on a general sense, as both sake and Adrian recommended enabling protocol encryption. :)

Totti
05-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Ahh ok m8 my bad then :)

Enlightened
05-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Especially, in the United States,even though certain User "Rights' of individual are maintain cuz' the internet is still in the Freedom of speech category, BUT after 9/11 and there is a warfare in the Cyberspace Infrastructure between countries, I am SURE pretty much the Traffic on cyberspace is scrutinized.

sagiking14
05-27-2010, 11:37 AM
no :S
he lie to u