PDA

View Full Version : Should I Invest In A Seedbox?

bigdaddydude
05-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been browsing this section for awhile and I'm fairly new to these. Would it be worth the time and effort to invest in a seedbox if I plan to get into some private trackers? I did a speed test and I'm assuming that this would be considered a slow connection (which is from my wireless network at home).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/831193986.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I would like to know who do you think provides the best service, speeds and why I should go with the company you think would be best for me. I will soon be going to college for culinary school, so I will be out of money soon. I might be able to pay up to $30 a month at the most. Thanks for your time and efforts.

TONiC
05-30-2010, 11:55 PM
No. Get into private trackers first and see how things go. If you can't survive, then you'll need a seedbox. If you can survive, you're saving yourself a good amount of money.

You may also want to research more, rather than just post; OVH is basically used by the majority of seedbox providers due to the internal-networking advantage they offer, but speeds will suck to USA, not to mention they don't sell direct to USA.

cherio
05-31-2010, 04:36 AM
Seedboxes aren't required for many trackers. Try IPtorrents and Torrentday. They are easy to get into.

One of the best seedbox is Feralhosting. They are a popular ovh resller. A slot on a 1Gbps box is around $25. You can make a good buffer and then cancel at the end of the month.

AdrianPhoto
05-31-2010, 09:52 AM
I've been using a seedbox for 7 months now
I've noticed that I can easily seed from home, and I don't need the seedbox for seeding what I download
on the other hand, when I upload new things to the tracker.. (usually HD/DVDR stuff) I REALLY need a seedbox.

Bestfriend81
05-31-2010, 09:54 AM
seedbox helps on donwloading speed? r just for seeding?

TONiC
05-31-2010, 10:29 AM
seedbox helps on donwloading speed? r just for seeding?

If your ISP throttle bittorrent, then using a seedbox as a middle man and using FTP to retrieve files could see an increase in speeds....

anon
05-31-2010, 12:48 PM
A free solution would be to use uTorrent in uTP-only mode, optionally with forced encryption. uTP isn't flawless but it should bypass most shapers.

TONiC
05-31-2010, 01:35 PM
A free solution would be to use uTorrent in uTP-only mode, optionally with forced encryption. uTP isn't flawless but it should bypass most shapers.

Isn't uTP just the option for uTorrent to throttle itself? If ISPs didn't oversell their bandwidth there wouldn't be an issue, and for those of us with truly unlimited connections uTP can only make the situation worse for us.

anon
05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Isn't uTP just the option for uTorrent to throttle itself?

Yes, the main idea behind uTP is having a QoS-sensitive protocol that'll automatically "limit" uTorrent's speeds when you have other tasks going on. However, a very nice side-effect of it being UDP-based is that it defeats most ISP shapers. The disadvantage is that it uses more overhead than normal TCP connections.

And yeah, it's otherwise useless if you aren't shaped and know how to limit your speed.

IdolEyes787
05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I will soon be going to college for culinary school, so I will be out of money soon. I might be able to pay up to $30 a month at the most. Thanks for your time and efforts.

If you are going off to college don't you think your money would be more wisely invested in drugs?

Cabalo
05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
I will soon be going to college for culinary school, so I will be out of money soon. I might be able to pay up to $30 a month at the most. Thanks for your time and efforts.

If you are going off to college don't you think your money would be more wisely invested in drugs?
:glag:
... and booze

bigdaddydude
05-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Wow, you really crack me up! Get it? lol.

:glag:
... and booze

Maybe a stripper 2? :naughty:

Untouchable
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Seedbox is great but if you can maintain ratio with your home line, it's not worth the money.

P2PDog
06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't waste your money on seedboxes. If you're going to pay to leech, then get yourself a Usenet, or a DDL (rapidshare, megaupload, etc) account. They're a lot cheaper, and you'll have access to all the same, or more, content than you'll find on trackers.

That said, if you know even a bit about torrenting then you shouldn't have any problem maintaining a decent ratio at a lot of sites without having to pay money. Do a bit of research on which sites are easiest to seed on, no-ratio sites, etc, and you'll be fine. Just don't over-extend yourself trying to maintain ratios at too many sites.

Untouchable
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Indeed try usenet!

lmn8r
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
If your going off to college I would invest in a VPN personally rather then a seedbox. Usually the dorm connection is fast, but is behind a firewall which blocks most p2p applications.

inam22
06-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread buddy but i Can't use my seedbox to download or upload on certain private trackers.

I have just rented a seedbox from seedunlimited and tried to download something from couple of private trackers but i am getting error message which is "failure unknown host please login"

I think the reason i am getting above error is due to having a different ip address through seedbox. Is there any solution to above problem. Any help will be much appreciated in advance.

Just let you know guys that Seedbox is working on some of private trackers so can't see any problem with seedbox.

sanfer
06-03-2010, 06:43 AM
I Used Seedhost.eu this is good, very fast upload and download, and nice support from seller.

mrnobody
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Re: Should I Invest In A Seedbox?

no.

anon
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I have just rented a seedbox from seedunlimited and tried to download something from couple of private trackers but i am getting error message which is "failure unknown host please login"

I think the reason i am getting above error is due to having a different ip address through seedbox. Is there any solution to above problem. Any help will be much appreciated in advance.

Check if the tracker offers a "login type" setting in your profile page. If so, change it from "secure" to "normal", and you should be able to torrent from your seedbox's IP.

inam22
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Check if the tracker offers a "login type" setting in your profile page. If so, change it from "secure" to "normal", and you should be able to torrent from your seedbox's IP.

Can't find above option in my profile.

anon
06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
What tracker is it?

inam22
06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
What tracker is it?

http://fights.worldboxingvideoarchive.com/

anyguy
06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Do some research on Rutorrent cookies. That should fix your problem.

bigdaddydude
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I've been looking at Xirvik and SavvySeed plans. Anyone if they are any good? Are there any reviews about them? Perhaps we should have a Seedbox Review section.

jibblet
06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I was looking into seedboxes recently too, tried Xirvik and just paid for 1 week, it is $5 or so, so see how you get on. I founf that I could buffer my 3 main trackers with 100GB upload each during that week, and it will take me a long time to download that much.

As far as I can tell, this whole section IS a seedbox review section. Use the search feature for the specific area of review you need, all the info is here. Good luck!

fin
06-19-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm considering buying a VPS, setting up uTorrent and downloading a tonne of torrents (legal of course...), but I'm just realising that this would be slower than downloading them straight from the internet to my desktop. This would be because I have a 4.5Mbit/s download speed (around 550/600KB/s).

Sure, I'd download the files to my server at around 8MB/s (lets say it takes 5 mins to download a movie), but then I'd have to FTP it to my computer which would take HOURS because it could only download at 600KB/s, and FTP caps large files so with Blu-Ray movies it's more like 400KB/s. This would take a lot longer (5 mins longer) than just downloading straight from the torrent site to my computer, however, I very rarely see my download reach 500KB/s, which is where a VPS might come in handy.

Is there something I'm missing here, or are VPS servers useless for a person like me?

Is there any way to download movies faster, and be able to watch them faster? There is no way I can upgrade my home connection speed without moving to another city.

lmn8r
06-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Seedboxes are for seeding. That's why they're called seedboxes and not leechboxes. If all you want to do is leech then no, there is no reason for you to purchase anything.

4.5mbps isn't very fast these days. Try looking into business class? Or a new ISP? Otherwise you'll just have to budget your usage better. Keep things running overnight or 24/7. uTorrent has pretty complex scheduling systems.

fin
06-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Seedboxes are for seeding. That's why they're called seedboxes and not leechboxes. If all you want to do is leech then no, there is no reason for you to purchase anything.

4.5mbps isn't very fast these days. Try looking into business class? Or a new ISP? Otherwise you'll just have to budget your usage better. Keep things running overnight or 24/7. uTorrent has pretty complex scheduling systems.
I'm in Britain and 4.5Mb/s is about average here. I've checked around and they don't do Fibre Optics (cable) in my area, just ADSL. So 4.5Mb/s is the maximum I can get.

unoriginal
06-19-2010, 08:32 PM
If you are downloading nothing but legal torrents that a seedbox or VPS is probably a waste for you. However if you decide to branch out into other things and want a layer between you and the tracker than at that point I might consider getting one.

duke34
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I have one OVH and this is very useful for difficults trackers like TT,What.cd,Waffles, Hdbits.org