PDA

View Full Version : Posting to "The Scene"?

Pilferd
05-31-2010, 03:45 AM
how would one go about becoming part of "The Scene" ... i know a person who says he'd like to contribute but doesnt know how to start his own group and make his stuff available ...

i assumed IRC or EFNet played a big part in it but i dunno for sure ... plus i havent been on IRC in years ...

any ideas?

aen
05-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Yeah read NFOs noob.
They actualy use "contact info" like e-mail and stuff.
Also irc FTW. There is no Scene without IRC.

jaymmmmmm
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
To get "in the scene" is hard and he won't be able to do it without knowing someone already in there.

He won't be able to release any stuff without having access to topsites as that where the group heads pre's. Being "in the scene" comes with topsites.

If he doesn't know someone his only shot is like said above to read NFOs and email some groups but even then it's a very long shot, you have to have something worth offering to them. Fast connection, dedicated server, able to get stuff before release etc.

And of course trust, getting in a group isn't going to be a 1 day thing it would probably take weeks of talking to some guys on IRC for them to gain your trust and supplying them with what you can offer upfront. They are not going to let some random guy join their group straight away who says he can get stuff before release date.

The risk involved is very high as well, groups get busted a lot.

Much easier just to be a p2p group, you don't have to follow any rules nor have to have high access at the top of the chain, and there's a good chance of "the person you know" getting contacted by a scene group if he releases good stuff.

chakara
05-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Just upload the stuff you got to usenet ...
No tags, no groups, no rules, just share it.

Pilferd
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
thanks for the info guys - will relay the messages ...

and :lol: @ me bein a "noob"

jaymmmmmmmm thanks alot for the indepth info and chakara ur suggestion might be his easiest option for his situation ...

zot
06-01-2010, 03:27 AM
I've seen a few software and game crackers who originally released independently, and were eventually invited to join the Scene after making a name for themselves. That's probably the easiest route to getting Scene access. After the big Scene busts in the early 2000's, anyone who asks to be let in is going to be viewed with suspicion.

Untouchable
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Why so much rules...if there is USENET.

SonsOfLiberty
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah read NFOs noob.
They actualy use "contact info" like e-mail and stuff.
Also irc FTW. There is no Scene without IRC.

Your the n00b, the NFO's don't have contact info, only certain groups do. The rest are find me if can bitch.

You have to know pre's and how to IRC and have dumps, etc...it's not hard work, look fucken CLUE, POW4, XII/IMMERSE, etc, yeah, the scene is so fucken cool!