PDA

View Full Version : TBDev vs Gazelle

AvailableName
05-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Title says it all. Tell me which you like the most and explain your reason behind it.

I personally don't know much about either of them and am looking forward to the community's opinion and feedback. I did hear that Gazelle is a monster to code while TBDev is easier to customize. But then, that's all from what I read and heard.

Edit: Thanks to however added the poll!
edit:ur welcome ;)

aen
05-31-2010, 05:35 AM
Well for me "patched" TBDev source is much more usefull than Gazelle...
That's all what I wanted to say :D

Quarterquack
05-31-2010, 06:02 AM

That's not an argument. Patched Gazelle is better than TBDev. What's your actual argument?

DeNeDe17
05-31-2010, 06:18 AM
TBDev is much older than Gazelle ..;)
i think Gazelle has a lot of exploits & bugs, sure TBDev has also, but they are working on it since the beggining, and no, it's not wise to take a 'patched' TBDev source .. it is better to take the RAW source and patch it yourself ;)

NkFy
05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
TBDEV is better, you can change more on it. and the style's are lookin' very good!

aen
05-31-2010, 07:57 AM

That's not an argument. Patched Gazelle is better than TBDev. What's your actual argument?

Well I do not like the Gazelle structure.
This is my argument :p

elbuitre
05-31-2010, 08:09 AM
For a specialized site Gazelle is godsent, but for a general site i can see it being a nightmare. How do you group apps? Do you have group for a program then have a version as an "album" then different releases under there. Or each version of the program has a page? How about coding the implementation for each category of torrents, are they compatible? I guess you could disable that sort of grouping but I mean, if you're not going to take advantage of gazelle organizational features, why use it at all.

heiska
05-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, there must be a reason why most sites are moving from TBDev to Gazelle and not vice versa.

I took a look at the "official" TBDev source once and it's messy as hell. I havent looked at Gazelle though so in theory it could be even worse.

AdrianPhoto
05-31-2010, 09:46 AM
TBDev is highly supported, tons of addons and plugins

b3owulf
05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Gazelle is great for non-0day music sites, especially What.CD. TBDev is awesome for everything else.

Of course there are some nice implementations of Gazelle code like DB9, TorrentVault, but TBDev would suite those places really well too. Gazelle-mania just pisses me off.

backie
05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
They both suck balls.

AvailableName
05-31-2010, 06:17 PM
They both suck balls.

Then what do you prefer?

backie
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm going bespoke.

stoi
05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
From a users perspective, no idea, as i have never actually used gazelle, even though we have it installed we havnt done anything with it yet.

From a programers perspective they are both a nightmare to work on, but TBdev is designed from the get go to be an everything tracker, and just delete/edit cats in the db to what you want, gazelle is designed to be a Music tracker, and its not very easy to change it to what you want (you have to edit files not just the database, its not impossible but its a lot harder.

Tbdev is pretty resource heavy unless you go with an XBTT backend.

Gazelle is fast because it comes with an XBTT backend, and you have to have memcache on your server to use it (TBdev you dont).

So it all depends on a few factors for me.

How good of a programmer you are?
What you actually want your tracker do do, Music go with gazelle, everything else TBdev unless you can put the hours in changing Gazelle.
How many peers you want, 20,000 or less go with TBdev, 20,000-100,000 go with either TBdev or gazelle but both with XBTT. 100,000 or more, Gazelle (even though TBdev will go past 100,000 i would have thought gazelle can hanlde more.)

t00z
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
For a specialized site Gazelle is godsent, but for a general site i can see it being a nightmare. How do you group apps? Do you have group for a program then have a version as an "album" then different releases under there. Or each version of the program has a page? How about coding the implementation for each category of torrents, are they compatible? I guess you could disable that sort of grouping but I mean, if you're not going to take advantage of gazelle organizational features, why use it at all.Grouping is a feature, not forced. Look at Torrent-Damage and TorrentVault for good Gazelle 0day examples...

Imo: Gazelle > TBDev, for it's features and the fact that it's not ancient. The coders and staff are way more important than the source code though, imo.

hof
05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
tbdev.
Arguments: I don't know :(. As a user, I think it is easier to use.

Eargasm
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
From a user perspective, I like gazelle _sites_ better. Before gazelle, you couldn't open a torrent, click on link of it's director or star actors, and then have all the movies they've been affiliated with. You couldn't couldn't search using tags grind + metal + 2003 (for music), or say action + comedy + 2009 to see all action comedies of 2009 (for movies) just to filter down to exactly what you want. Very useful on big trackers...

That said, I guess those functionalities were never impossible for TBDev, but they were never standard until Gazelle came along.

Slickerey
06-01-2010, 12:14 AM
TBDEV and Gazelle are both nightmares when it comes to the plain old source code, but I'd have to go with TBDEV for this one.

Why TBDEV?

Well, it's old, but the members of TBDEV.NET are dedicated to making mods and helping each other out. Sure, there are some things Gazelle can do, but do you see IMDb mods on their community forum? I doubt it.

If you don't have the time to mess around with TBDEV or Gazelle, you shouldn't even be running a tracker at all. Patching all the bugs in older TBDEV sources is easy. Finding the time do to it all is hard.

buggyfresh
06-01-2010, 01:36 AM
xbtit :D

stoi
06-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Support looks great, oh it is if you pay for the privilage. feck that.

http://www.xbtit.com/registration/

buggyfresh
06-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Support looks great, oh it is if you pay for the privilage. feck that.

http://www.xbtit.com/registration/

heh true, but it is pretty secure from what i hear & have seen...i put it forth as "other"

DonkeyPacker
06-01-2010, 05:18 AM
I've worked with both so here's what I'll say. They clearly both have their ups and downs, but I like tbdev more (we use TBDev with an XBTT backend at PiN).

TBDev is easier to work with quickly because there isn't much to it. ...But it's a mess. A huge mess. It takes a lot of dedication to clean it up into something good. A nice thing is that there is much more support for TBDev than for gazelle and many little addons that are pretty neat. It is also fairly simple to create your own addons.

Gazelle is much more organized than TBDev, but in a really weird, almost mazelike way. Every file redirects to another, so that it takes a long time to get used to the code. I used to think that good themes had to be impossible with gazelle because all the most beautiful sites use TBDev, but that is not the case. The design is very versatile, but not very easy to work with. Cool things can be done with if you're good enough.

It all comes down to preference. They're both very different. I'm hoping that someone can come out with a third source with the best of both worlds.

TBDown
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
TBDEV is better

pro267
06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, there must be a reason why most sites are moving from TBDev to Gazelle and not vice versa.
I would imagine the reason is most sites doing the moving were using TBDev before Gazelle was released, hence only one way to go (or not). What's your point again?

From a programers perspective they are both a nightmare to work on
That's subjective. One could argue that they're both extremely easy to work on if you're a skillful coder.

As for the original question, the Gazelle source is probably written better than TBDev, but then TBDev has a huge library of available mods that are not available for Gazelle. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter which source you go with. The source provides only a framework, and well coded sites modify it to the extreme.

stoi
06-02-2010, 12:21 AM
If you are a skillful coder, you probably would take 1 look at TBdev and think, I am not working on that lol (and i mean the older TBdev no idea what the new 2009 version is like).

My old coder from a few years back, would not touch it (only to fix problems, but not to actually write new stuff for it) because he thought it was that bad, and he decided to write his own from scratch, but things happened and it never got finished and he left.

My newer coder, who has left as well (i dont have much luck lol) hated it as well and re-wrote most of it.

Code is only as good as the person/people who wrote/write it, if its crap its crap, doesnt matter how skillful the coder is thats working on it once its released to the public.

Now thats not to say that TBdev is a bag of shit, it does what it says on the tin, but it does need optomizing a lot to get the best out of it (the old one like i said, not looked at 2009 yet).

Slickerey
06-02-2010, 01:42 AM
TBDEV 2009 is actually pretty good, but customizing it is a bitch.

I have having to use "$HTMLOUT" for every line of HTML... :frusty:

It gets so annoying. They should use a template system like Smarty (http://smarty.net).

backie
06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
TBDEV 2009 is actually pretty good, but customizing it is a bitch.

I have having to use "$HTMLOUT" for every line of HTML... :frusty:

It gets so annoying. They should use a template system like Smarty (http://smarty.net).

Problem is doing a good application design is just unknown for torrent systems. They read a beginning PHP book and think they know their shit.

MiNiMAL
06-02-2010, 10:00 AM
tbdev , hate gazelle

Slickerey
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Problem is doing a good application design is just unknown for torrent systems. They read a beginning PHP book and think they know their shit.

What I don't understand is why they released the code with a ton of bugs in it. Sure, a good amount of them are fixed in TBDEV 2006, but the original coder of the source could have taken caution.

Little things like these can help save you from embarrassment in the future.

nthpeter
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate gazelle. :|

ca_aok
06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I never understood why so many non-coders hate Gazelle (well coders as well since TBDev is a convoluted piece of crap but that could be chalked up to experience). It's such a better organizational system for pretty much everything. The only place where it would be less necessary is for 0-day only sites, the "Artist Page", tags, and collage features make the organization of music, movies, and TV infinitely better.

Also while fewer mods are available for the code, that can be solved by having a coder who knows what they're doing rather than a "coder" that just sticks pre-made mods into vanilla TBDev. Gazelle also comes with things like the invite system and passkeys built in, so it's not like TBDev where you install it and you literally have a forum and a browse page. Gazelle comes with enough stuff in its basic form not to completely fail, so anyone who can actually work with the code can turn it into something great.

backie
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I never understood why so many non-coders hate Gazelle (well coders as well since TBDev is a convoluted piece of crap but that could be chalked up to experience). It's such a better organizational system for pretty much everything. The only place where it would be less necessary is for 0-day only sites, the "Artist Page", tags, and collage features make the organization of music, movies, and TV infinitely better.

Also while fewer mods are available for the code, that can be solved by having a coder who knows what they're doing rather than a "coder" that just sticks pre-made mods into vanilla TBDev. Gazelle also comes with things like the invite system and passkeys built in, so it's not like TBDev where you install it and you literally have a forum and a browse page. Gazelle comes with enough stuff in its basic form not to completely fail, so anyone who can actually work with the code can turn it into something great.

For you to set up gazelle you actually need to edit the code. It come's ready for you to run what.cd anything else you need to modify the core. Which is just sucks, never mind the fact it results in devs doing months of work when a new verison comes out, look at all the sites moving to rc 2 (rc my ass). Then there is using html inside php code. Template systems were created for a reason. Gazelle is good for what.cd but it needs serious work to be a proper release/package.

I also have a hate for working with 3rd party apps. Only plugin system I've liked so far has been wordpress's.

ca_aok
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
For you to set up gazelle you actually need to edit the code. It come's ready for you to run what.cd anything else you need to modify the core. Which is just sucks, never mind the fact it results in devs doing months of work when a new verison comes out, look at all the sites moving to rc 2 (rc my ass). Then there is using html inside php code. Template systems were created for a reason. Gazelle is good for what.cd but it needs serious work to be a proper release/package.

I also have a hate for working with 3rd party apps. Only plugin system I've liked so far has been wordpress's.
I'd agree with you on most of that. The Gazelle releases are basically a snapshot of What's code minus some of the juicy features. It does take work to modify it to fit your db structure and to modify all of the references from What to your own site, but that does have the side effect of getting you more familiarized with the code itself (which is good due to its decentralized nature).

I'm hoping that their new style of release will prevent another big jump like that from RC1 to RC2. Let's face it, the RC1 code was from over a year ago and there was no possible way they could've made any sites running on RC1, especially after these sites modified it for their own purposes, to make the jump to RC2. With incremental builds that should be a bit less of an issue.

I highly doubt most of the naysayers in this thread are going to code gazelle sites though, which is what really confuses me. I've noticed a huge backlash towards Gazelle with many regular torrenters, I'm not sure if it's that they're so used to TBDev sites they can't accept the radically different layout, or if they're just sort of bandwagoning with the others (in the case of this thread).

Slickerey
06-02-2010, 10:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with the features Gazelle has.

The only thing I hate about it is the messy code layout. Reading the thing is like a nightmare.... I tend to use Paracetamol when coding Gazelle... :wacko:

mrnobody
06-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm in 0 Gazelle site. I found it annoying for some reason. TBDev works just fine for me but I dislike it's forum to max.

Feeling
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
ScTBDev > *

backie
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
ScTBDev > *

LOL isn't that a project that has died before it was even alive? ScTBDev < * until they bring something to the table.

Slickerey
06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Agreed.

Hype doesn't beat quality.

colbert
06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Gazelle is perfect for a music tracker. Everything else takes some tweaking.

PerMaFrOsT
06-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Any TBDev expert here?? I want to run a new project but donīt have enough time to been fighting with PhP code :idunno: If you can help me please post something here or send me a PM :whistling