PDA

View Full Version : free internet SMS texting; for real?

worldpease
06-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Ok, I've see these sites for a long time on the web but never gave them much trust,
but today I really needed to get a message trough to someone and my cell phone was out of credit so I started researching those infamous sites
that offer free texting worldwide and I came upon this site with pretty good reviews, supposedly no spam and no unwanted advertisements (aside from the adds on the website itself)
as it is based on a university servers, and cloud computing and all that stuff I don't quite understand,
so I decided to give it a try first sending a text message to my phone and yeah, almost instantly I got my test message, all neat and clean;
then I proceeded to send the message to the person I needed and it worked, very soon I got a call back,
granted she was kind of weirded out because she didn't know the number, good thing I anticipated this and made clear
who the message was from in the first line using the nickname I gave her and all.
We tried this method a couple more times, and so far none of us have received any estrange activity on our phones.

So now I am wondering, is it for real? how is it possible?
as I see there is also some websites that provide the option to get a reply if you give them an email.
I did try googling for this but mostly I get links to more such websites so I imagine first hand information might be more useful.

oh, and Mexico play tomorrow against the Champs, Italy! :P

darkstate01
06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Sounds to good to be true, But I had a look on my network (Orange uk) and they have a free texting facility built into there site, You get 30 free text a month.
This has 1 draw back that you can't receive to the site so make sure you tell the person you send to, to send to your phone when they reply.

anon
06-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Tried many of those online services to send SMS everywhere for free, none of them ever worked for me. :dry:

Sounds to good to be true, But I had a look on my network (Orange uk) and they have a free texting facility built into there site, You get 30 free text a month.
This has 1 draw back that you can't receive to the site so make sure you tell the person you send to, to send to your phone when they reply.

Yes, one carrier here has that feature as well, just with unlimited messages and the possibility of replying directly to the sender's computer :D

graywolf
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Heh.. well in our country, every internet sms service works. And I mean "everything".

Many have even made that as a daily usage. And I had started using it from 4 years ago.. ;)

Cabalo
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Free internet texting is a reality with every operator here. There are even operator's toolbars to make it easier send those sms and not having to login on their site.

graywolf
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM

I got 30 text for a day.. :happy:

Free internet texting is a reality with every operator here. There are even operator's toolbars to make it easier send those sms and not having to login on their site.

Yup many does not even require sign ups. But I've been even in sign up ones and they work as a charm. ;)

darkstate01
06-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I live in backward britain hence why we only have 30 text a month and we have to sign in to use the ltd text service as well.
Wouldn't mind knowing who the provider is who gives out 30 text a day and the 1 that has its own toolbar so you don't have to sign in

graywolf
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, I don't know, if it will work or not, in other countries. So, I'll try and check it out. I've not used it since 2-3 years. So, I've to do some minor searches. :)

darkstate01
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not to bothered if you find it,just curious thats all.

graywolf
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not to bothered if you find it,just curious thats all.

ok... well there is.. Atleast in my country. Many of my friends still use them to text us.

For example : As far as I remember, MyCantos was a provider and 160by2 too, but both were sign up ones.

darkstate01
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
They only work for India not uk..Nevermind, worth a try.

vivitron 15
06-04-2010, 09:47 AM
With the mainstream usage of smart phones, I don't really understand why sms is still popular - it seems to me that push email does a much better job, in that you can still get in live on your phone, you can also access from a pc, and it's free and unlimited once you paid for the line rental with internet package.

Not really on topic, but it does confuse me why people still insist on using such an old-fashioned medium for communication!

wildgoose1uk
07-31-2010, 11:41 PM
old-fashioned!?!?!?....LOl.... It was not that long ago that I had to pay £15 a month for dial up connection PLUS the charge for the call!.... I suppose txt is getting old hat these days..... unless you are on PAYG of course.

Zevaka
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
all mobile operators allow free sms texting from their websites here... i thought it's like this everywhere in the world :)

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
i'm not sure but you could try yahoo and gmail. pretty sure they got free sms (or is this only in the states... not sure)

bigdogg2020
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
they all work, you just need to find the correct phone service site and you can send and get messages if you use an email

rdtphd
08-30-2010, 07:02 PM
um you can text free to sms using AIM or yahoo or msn or windows live or google voice its been like that for years if you want to sms someone from a pc and you dont have any or your messenger clients installed on the machine you are using ie: a friends computer you can login to any major IM client with meebo.com and them sms ppl and they can reply to you.