PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Internet Speed Measure

DWk
10-31-2003, 04:11 PM
ok, is there a GOOD program that you can download so that you can measure your connection speed "offline" (lol yea sort of) so that you dont need to goto any of the site testers (like dslreports, pcpitstop, etc.)...

preferably free, of course :D

DWk

ps: oh its halloween :w00t: haha happy halloween

nikita69
10-31-2003, 04:14 PM
do u know how connection speed works?
even if there is, it'd be useless and inaccurate (unless ur ISP has one).

DWk
10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by nikita69@31 October 2003 - 16:14
do u know how connection speed works?
even if there is, it'd be useless and inaccurate (unless ur ISP has one).
lol what u mean how it works?

nikita69
10-31-2003, 04:22 PM
contact ur ISP and ask them if they have a program of such or a site. then ask them how they measure. don't rely on anyone else, the reason being is cos there are several factors involved. if i were to offer such test and i'm in located 5 miles away from u, my results won't be as accurate as ur ISP. Even ur ISP's results would vary from time to time.

DWk
10-31-2003, 04:32 PM
oh i get what u mean.... yea i asked them but no.

they just use sites like i do

www.toast.net
www.pcpitstop.com
www.dslreports.com
www.2wire.com

and more

DWk

nikita69
10-31-2003, 04:39 PM
then ur ISP is a Master Wholesaler for the LEC (Local Exchange Carrier). Meaning they don't own the landlines and have NO control over it. id suggest u find out who owns the landline and contact them, u may even get better service, connection and price if u go directly with LEC (disadvantage is big corp, have hi-profile, privacy MAY be an issue)

DWk
10-31-2003, 04:42 PM
:w00t: k im speechless :P haha i do think they own the landlines...but i dont live in usa so i dont think there are things like LEC you are talkin about.

just plain monopoly :ph34r:

DWk