PDA

View Full Version : Magazine NZB's?

the mighty
06-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew where I could download magazine scans on USENET? It's pretty easy finding comic book scans on usenet, but I haven't seen any magazine posts or NZB's anywhere.

james_bond_rulez
06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
what comic do u want?

the mighty
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm not looking for comics, I'm looking for magazines. GQ, Esquire, Wired, Empire, Total Film ect...

I was saying that comics have been pretty easy to find, but I don't know where to look for magazines.

zot
06-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't know of any specialized magazine groups, but a lot of magazines get posted in the e-book groups. alt.binaries.e-book.technical has a lot of magazines - even general-interest titles dealing with non-technical material. That would be a good place to browse.

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 12:58 AM
you can use the super search function in newsleecher, i found a lot of stuff that may be of interest to you just by a simple search.

or maybe you can check out torrent sites that are specialized in ebooks

the mighty
06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I haven't managed to find a working version of newleecher, but I'll have a look at the ebooks groups. Thanks!

c0ld
06-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Tbh, Newzbin is still the best for niche stuff like books and magazines, mainly just because they have categories for them. The reporting level is a bit low atm, but it'll pick up again soon I expect.

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 10:26 PM
i'd suggest the newsleecher 4 beta 18

it's better than the last final version.

also beta 19 is out and its search function is supposedly better than 18...

c0ld
06-15-2010, 10:34 PM
How does supersearch differ from any other auto-indexer?

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
it's not an auto-indexer. it's just a search tool that'll allow you to find what you want in a jiffy

c0ld
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
lol. How do you think it allows you to search?

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
ya well if ur talking about the supersearch itself; it is a search tool in a software. The good thing about it is that it sorts the posts in an understandable fashion that is easy to comprehend; much easier to use than some of the auto indexer sits or pay site like newzbin, for that matter. You have to deal with website downtime and whatnot, or potential unannounced shutdown -- like we all know so clearly with newzbin~

c0ld
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
It's merely a client to a server side index. No different than any other index, other than using a windows form app for a front end.

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
so what's your point? u got a thing against it? nobody is forcing you to use it.

c0ld
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
No, just thought they might have added something else since I last used it that would make it especially useful for magazines etc? Categories and group browsing, stuff like that?

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
How is it different? it's free; easy to use; and no downtime.

see if ur newzbin beats that.

oh btw, enjoy it while you can; it's not long before they find trouble with the law again.

No, just thought they might have added something else since I last used it that would make it especially useful for magazines etc? Categories and group browsing, stuff like that?

they extended the search limit and simplified the search interface, making it a more effective searcher.

also you can specify what groups to search, search by poster, and smart select that allow you to automatically select relevant posts.

c0ld
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, other auto indexers are free too. Although tbh, I thought it was only free if you use hacked versions?

james_bond_rulez
06-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, other auto indexers are free too. Although tbh, I thought it was only free if you use hacked versions?

at least it's hackable....try that with newzbin

While they are free, I like that it's integrated into the news client I am using, so I don't have to open up my browser and news client at the same time. Call me lazy, but that's why I like newsleecher over any other clients or sites.

Another cool feature is that you can set retention days as part of ur search parameters, so that you don't download anything out of ur news provider's reach.

c0ld
06-16-2010, 03:03 PM
While they are free, I like that it's integrated into the news client I am using, so I don't have to open up my browser and news client at the same time. Call me lazy, but that's why I like newsleecher over any other clients or sites.I guess that would seem convenient, but I use SAB, so my browser is my client (or more correctly, it's my GUI).

james_bond_rulez
06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
good for u :)

the mighty
06-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I had a look at alt.binaries.e-book.technical on Newsleecher (the supersearch doesn't work on my version), and although it had a few magazines I was interested in downloading, it didn't have as many as i had hoped. Mens Health, for example, was there, but only this months issue, with none before that.

Does that mean someone has only just started uploading the magazine, or I should be able to find the rest elsewhere. Also, the Esquire of October 2009 was there, but no other ones. Do I just need to keep searching, or are people uploading some months but not others. Didn't find any GQ ect, but I can't really complain when this stuff shouldn't really be provided online anyway.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

c0ld
06-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Do I just need to keep searchingI wouldn't, the rest look like viruses.