PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Is The Best Media Player?

dako0l
11-01-2003, 03:28 AM
What do you think is the best media player?
And why?

bob_the_alien
11-01-2003, 03:46 AM
This is a question I don't think can be answered with just one Media Player.

I find that for all my video, there is only one Media Player, “Media Player Classic". Best Media Player hands down for playing any type of Movie, it will play all windows formats plus, QuickTime, and Real Media.

Now while, if I could only pick one Media Player period, it would be "Media Player Classic". However, I prefer not to use it for Audio.

For all Audio, I have two Media Players I love, Winamp 2.0, and Apple Itunes. Itunes, I manly like, cuz not only can I listen to music, I can buy and download it as well, and If I have an Artist I like, I do like to actually support them.
However If I'm just wanting to listen to music I usually just use Winamp 2, never use 3, it sucks.

That’s It, Media Player Classic, Winamp 2, and Itunes.
:ph34r:

WolverineDK
11-01-2003, 06:44 AM
well for me is Media Player Classic the film media player of all time
and in audio is it winamp 2.91
execpt for amiga music files it is the modplugplayer

Peace
WolverineDK
so for me it is also three players :)

Nightwolf
11-01-2003, 08:25 AM
My fav is still Windows Media Player 6.4 because it's fast and simple. I use it for all media types except mp3 (Winamp is better for those). I've hated every other version of WMP ever since 7 because they keep adding more and more crap that I don't need, like playlists and libraries. Another thing I like about 6.4 is that it uses different icons for each type of file, whereas WMP 9 lumps them all together with just one icon.

fr600
11-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Musicmatch Jukebox 8.1. B'coz it has got every single thing I need...

ZaZu
11-01-2003, 08:44 AM
I use ATI Media Player (came with my ATI All in Wonder video card),
or BS Player, for video, Windows Media Player for audio ;)

nanotek
11-01-2003, 10:28 AM
videolan plays any file i know of and winamp 2,91 for music

winXPHE
11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
well, its tough to choose, i use winamp 2.95(possibly 5 soon) for mp3s, avi preview for .dats n bsplayer for dvd rips n movies, media player classic for real media n qt files n video lan if ne file does not play on bsplayer

N£MO
11-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Winamp is what i use,it does a great job for what i want.

3RA1N1AC
11-01-2003, 12:04 PM
i know that a lot of people hate it, but i actually like WMP9 for mpeg/avi playback.

and i think WinDVD is pretty decent for DVDs.

for mp3s, Winamp is the obvious choice.

but since i bought a DVD burner and i have a LiteOn mpeg4 DVD player, i like my LiteOn most of all. ;)

Turd Ferguson
11-01-2003, 01:14 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out, because I don't really like Winamp. For my music I use WMP9 because I like the library and playlist features.

For video on the other hand I really like jetAudio because it plays just about every movie format no probs.

Livy
11-01-2003, 01:17 PM
i use winamp 5 for all my media.
i onyl use media layer classic for real and quicktime files.
i got rid of all the crappy windows media players.

abu_has_the_power
11-01-2003, 03:01 PM
wmp and bsplayer. wmp is not buggy at all for me, and bs player sometimes says performed error, and xp tells me to send or not send. winamp 5 is the best music player

Livy
11-01-2003, 03:02 PM
i like winamp 5 for videos, as i have tvout on my laptop, and my tv is widescreen, so i can set the screen resouloution so it will fill the whole screen, intead of the bars i would normally get.

L0rD_S0tH
11-01-2003, 03:52 PM
I use mplayer and xine for linux, and bsplayer and WMP for windows.

Triadcool
11-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Winamp for audio and windows media player for movies.

paul_smith
11-01-2003, 05:33 PM
winamp & windows media player

leonidas
11-01-2003, 07:37 PM
-For Mp3 files : Winamp ( Any version anterior to the 3 version )

-For Wav files : WMP classic ( The one you use in win98 )

-For not corrupted movies files : nPlayer ( It has a zoom feature like in the hardware DVD Players, but often fails with corrupted movies ). Some will use BS Player for not corruptedd movies, because you can switch formats (4/3,16/9), but I don't use it cos I don't like when the video gets stretched.

-For corrupted movies files : VideoLan ( Very reliable player, but doesn't have a zoom feature )

Don't forget that you'll get numerous corrupted files anyway.

PS: Don't forget to install the KLIte codec pack. ;)

doodle
11-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Winamp 5 [beta 2].

Supports all audio and video formats, has wonderful sound quality, very good library, supports internet tv, internet radio, has a good playlist, good export options, supports many plugins, uses a small amount of RAM (when using classic skin), supports winamp3 skins, good equalizer, great visualizations...

etc. Want to me to continue? :D

dingoBaby
11-01-2003, 11:57 PM
I use JRiver's Media Center 9.1 for many reasons. It is a great all-in-one program from music, video, and images.

A few of the highlights:

Great library structure. Fully customizable in terms of sorting and view. This is a great program is you collect full albums.

Good support for all major formats.

Great forum, where the owner of the company and the head developer are among the most active members. The take end user suggestions and requests very seriously.

Ripping/Burning is easy to use, yet sophisticated. LAME encoding is a big plus.

Awesome playlist features.

Great third party plugins and skins available and developed by other users (the little playing now thing in my sig is from a new plugin. Its a popup that can be ftp's automatically)

I could go on and on. I really love this program and highly recommend trying it out.

o_ICEMAN_o
11-02-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Livy@1 November 2003 - 14:17
how?

Monkeee
11-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Winamp and Video LAn! and for dvd's NDVD

sparsely
11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
/me just sticks to winamp cuz I'm lazy

Nightwolf
11-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by o_ICEMAN_o+1 November 2003 - 19:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (o_ICEMAN_o &#064; 1 November 2003 - 19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Livy@1 November 2003 - 14:17
how?[/b][/quote]
I removed it once just by going to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components and unchecking the Windows Media Player box.

Supposedly you can also uninstall it this way, but I haven&#39;t tried it...

1. Click Start and select Run.

2. Type (or paste) this command and hit enter...

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:&#092;WINDOWS&#092;INF&#092;wmp.inf,Uninstall

(change it to point to your Windows directory if necessary)

tutv
11-02-2003, 01:52 AM
I just use WMP9 for MP3s, and quicktime and realone for their own files...

Rip The Jacker
11-02-2003, 05:01 AM
I use Winamp 2 (http://classic.winamp.com) for music. And Zoom Player (http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml) for movies.

ultimatejester
11-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Jetaudio all the way.

JetAudio is integrated multimedia software composed of a single compact rack. Not only does it play various music and video files, but it also has other features such as CD burning, recording, conversion to other file formats, and so on. In addition to these features, you have the ability to create your own Internet broadcasting by using JetCast, which is provided with JetAudio. Play all major file formats and discs, including WAV, MP3, MP3Pro, OGG, WMA, MPG, AVI, WMV, MIDI, RM, and video, and audio CD. Convert among audio file formats, and record analog audio to various formats. The program features Internet broadcasting with JetCast; visualization plug-ins, including Sound2Vision; tag editing for MP3, OGG, and WMA; various sound effects including wide, reverb, and x-bass; multichannel sound output; speed control of audio playback; crossfading for smooth transition between two songs; a skinnable user interface; synchronized lyrics display (karaoke) for MIDI and MP3 files; and subtitles. Version 5.1.9.3018 features bug fixes.

Its pretty big. Thts the only thing i hate about it

http://www.jetaudio.com/images/products/screenshot_jetaudio5_main.jpg

Jay
11-02-2003, 06:19 AM
i use sonique for my audio and light alloy for my video,

Nightwolf
11-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by tutv@1 November 2003 - 20:52
I just use WMP9 for MP3s, and quicktime and realone for their own files...
You should try Winamp for mp3&#39;s. There really is a noticeable difference in sound quality, at least on my PC.

muchspl2
11-02-2003, 08:36 AM
esp if you have the enhancer www.i-adrian.home.ro/enhancer.htm

and please don&#39;t use wmp9, it has drm & contributes to the bad mp3&#39;s