PDA

View Full Version : New to Torrents. Worried about getting caught!!

MuffinCharger
06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
I started using uTorrent like 3 days ago, and since then I have downloaded about 3 torrents. Two of which are audio ripped from concert DVDs, so i'm not sure if that's totally illegal, and another song which i'm definitely sure is copyrighted. I only plan on downloading about 2 more IF they're successful (my computer sucks so it takes a very long time to download these, sometimes it doesn't even work), and after that there's nothing else I really want (cause I hate breaking the law lol). Basically 95% of all the things I have downloaded so far you can get nowhere other than torrents. Am I safe from being caught? I'm not really smart with computers so I don't know how to protect myself. Any tips would be great.

P2PDog
06-17-2010, 07:10 AM
3 torrents? OMG, You're going to jail!

The only thing that might save you is if you destroy any and all evidence immediately. You're going to have to trash your computer and destroy the hard drive. Don't just erase it, physically destroy it.

Good luck.

anon
06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
New to Torrents. Worried about getting caught!!

This is definitely the wrong section to post. :P

Same tips as always apply... use some kind of IP filtering and avoid public sites. If you need extra protection, get a VPN or seedbox.

Skiz
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvsmnUN-kMk

100%
06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
It is legal as long as you play them really loud.

megabyteme
06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
If I were you, I would invest in 1 20lb tank of propane for each file downloaded (please tell me you have not downloaded more than the original 3). Put these in the same room as the computer you downloaded the files. Completely open the valves. If there is a "safety" device, you may need to puncture the outside of the bottles with an axe, or a hand drill. Disconnect the power cable and the phone line.

Since you are probably screwed anyway (your ISP will have full records of your activities), call the RIAA and the MPAA (since the songs came fr5om a DVD, it's probably in their jurisdiction) tell them the location of your house and inform them that they may enter your house once they arrive.

As a courtesy, have several ashtrays placed in visible locations. You may even find some of those signs in smoke shops that states you are a smoker.
Hopefully one of them will take the bait.

Move to either Mexico or Canada.

Good luck!

bonkers
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
make the poor person feel worse than they already do i think they should rename this thread:fst::fst::fst:

brotherdoobie
06-18-2010, 06:05 AM
It is legal as long as you play them really loud.

He's right you know.

-doobs

1000possibleclaws
06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
I suggest you remove your internal drives immediately and beat them to a pulp with a baseball bat. Using torrents on a public tracker is practically a death sentence.. I'm afraid even wiping those drives won't guarantee your safety. :cry:

Darth Sushi
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I suggest you wear a paper-bag over your head while downloading...that way no one will recognize you!

MagicNakor
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Degauss that sucker!

:shuriken:

tralalala
06-19-2010, 02:02 AM
As the founder of this forum once said, long ago - Your odds of getting struck by lightening are higher than being caught by the RIAA/MPAA.. So don't sweat about it too much.

megabyteme
06-19-2010, 02:30 AM
As the founder of this forum once said, long ago - Your odds of getting struck by lightening are higher than being caught by the RIAA/MPAA.. So don't sweat about it too much.

That was long ago, AND getting struck by lightning hurts like a SOB!

And...sssshhhhh, yer wreckin' it!

cragarion
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
LOLS at all the answers :)

OK

1/ you have a better chance at winning the lottery than being caught,

2/ they tend to go after the sites providing the illegal downloads rather than the person downloading them,

3/ as long as you are not selling illegal copys,
and or not providing illegal copys,
all they can charge you with is defrauding the company of the price of the game,

4, if you can prove that you can not afford to buy the games,
then they can not prove that you defrauded them as you would never have bought the game in the first place,
so if you did not defraud them of the money off the game they can not find you guilty :).

pint76o
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
You will be just fine, read more and watch what the rest of us are doing and will be ok :) Funny thread

its
06-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Lol dude, you're too paranoid relax man enjoy it, free shit dawg.

diceman89
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
You could just be a man about it and stop worrying.