PDA

View Full Version : Article Not Found problems

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Dear All,

I am very much a newbie to all this so I apologise in advance for this if it is a daft questions.

Essentially, I am having issues with downloading a file from Usenet. In total there are about 80 parts of which a handfall give me the error message Atricle Not Found when I try to download them. What is odd however is that a small portion of the file will download normally between 4 and 10 % before this message appears.

What I am wondering is, does any one no of a solution to this as I have notice the same thing happens on other files I try t download.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

jaymmmmmm
06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Sounds like it has been removed from your providers servers = DMCA take down request. Your provider has no other options than to comply with them or face fines.

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Mnay thanks for the reply but if it was a DMCA request would that not mean all the files were taken off as oppsoed to just a few?

tesco
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
How old is the file?
Is it close to, or over, your provider's retention?

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
hi,

The file is about 500 days old, and another one i'm trying is just over a year.

Many thanks

Hypatia
06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Whats your news provider?

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi,

the news group is alt.binaries.dvd.criterion I notice its says in the file infomration you can contact them, how does somone go about this?

Many thanks for the help so far, its a bit complicated to a newbie!

tesco
06-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Who is your newsgroups provider?
That would mean for example Giganews, Astraweb, etc.?

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi,

Its Usenet and I have tried to Binverse too but to no avail.

Hypatia
06-18-2010, 08:08 PM
PM me what you tried to download
ill check it via giganews so we ll be able to rule out retention issues with your providers.

TomJay1979
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Hypatia,

Thanks for the help but how do I PM you, I can't see how by clicking on your profile?

Many thanks

Windy72
06-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Tom
Click on Hypatia

Choose the option that states send a private message to Hypatia.

TomJay1979
06-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I only get the following options:

View public profile
Find more posts
Add to contacts

I've seen in the FAQ it should be there too, its been odd!

Hypatia
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Well i dont see it too lol. ANyways you can just post here the group, the age and exact size as nzbindex.nl shows it. but no titles)

TomJay1979
06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks to all those who came to help, but I've sorted it out, Giganews is clearly the way forward, glad to see i', not going mad on the message thing as well, I was begining to worry! lol

ericab
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66962/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Windy72
06-19-2010, 07:57 PM
:P
Tom

Glad you got it! Finally if you have any concerns use something like nzbval. Eric can google for you if you need the link. :naughty:

c0ld
06-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Giganews is clearly the way forward
No.

ericab
06-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Giganews is clearly the way forward
No.

oh please share your opinion; we all wait in anticipation
/sarcasm

c0ld
06-20-2010, 12:51 AM
We?

tesco
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
We?
Yes, as in more than one member of the forum.

Elaborate on your original post a little bit.

c0ld
06-20-2010, 04:47 PM
We?
Yes, as in more than one member of the forum.

Elaborate on your original post a little bit.Astraweb, obviously. Maybe ericab would like elaborate on this post:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66962/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

ericab
06-20-2010, 05:10 PM
giganews should be a fine choice, as long as your aware there are cheaper alternatives out there, as well as the fact that since they are the largest provider they are more effected by removal notices. just in the past week, ive noticed supenews (a reseller of giganews) has had many missing article problems; and its getting very annoying.

@cold
a picture is worth a thousand words.

fluke
06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Sounds like it has been removed from your providers servers = DMCA take down request. Your provider has no other options than to comply with them or face fines.

I didn't know there were take down requests for material on usenet.

That would explain why I've been having trouble getting curb your enthusiasm Season 7. I tried an upload that was about 250 days ago and got "article not found" for about a 3rd of the rar files. Then I found another upload from about a month ago, and had the same thing happen. I also tried to download a Sopranos season and had the same thing happen.

Both Curb and Sopranos were HBO shows and I seem to remember HBO being really active in the bit torrent scene a few years back with a company called Media Sentry. I guess they are now keeping HBO content off of some usenet servers?

I'm currently using SuperNews.

c0ld
06-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm currently using SuperNews.
Yeah, Supernews are Giganews, and they are one of the worst affected by takedowns.

@cold
a picture is worth a thousand words.True, although in this case, I think a thousand words would have been overboard for a snide comment.

fluke
06-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, Supernews are Giganews, and they are one of the worst affected by takedowns.

Damn. I'm only paying $9.99 for Supernews with unlimited download and 400 day retention. I really don't want to have to look for another provider. But if this keeps up I guess I'll have to. Or else just go back to torrents.

c0ld
06-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Damn. I'm only paying $9.99 for Supernews with unlimited download and 400 day retention. I really don't want to have to look for another provider. But if this keeps up I guess I'll have to. Or else just go back to torrents.
Well, Astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) are only slightly more expensive, but for that you get more or less the same retention as a proper Giganews account and less takedowns. That's not to say astraweb are immune to takedowns though, just that for the time being they are not as much of a concern to the media companies. That'll probably change.

fluke
06-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, Astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) are only slightly more expensive, but for that you get more or less the same retention as a proper Giganews account and less takedowns. That's not to say astraweb are immune to takedowns though, just that for the time being they are not as much of a concern to the media companies. That'll probably change.

Thanks for the info. I might give them a shot after this billing cycle is up.

It's sad that usenet is now on the radar of the powers that be. :cry:

unoriginal
06-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I might give them a shot after this billing cycle is up.

It's sad that usenet is now on the radar of the powers that be. :cry:

Um, did you miss out on the whole months long trial that newzbin just went through? This isn't a new issue that somehow popped up overnight.

zot
06-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi TomJay, Fluke .... just thought I'd toss in my hat ...

To get your stuff that's missing from Giganews/Supernews, I suggest signing up for a trial account at Xennews.com or Hitnews.eu -- there's no risk; you don't need to give a creditcard number or anything, so it's totally free for 2 or 3 days. Last I heard, Xennews/Hitnews (and most other Dutch usenet providers) were free from the takedown removals that have been crippling Giganews/Supernews. A Xennews/Hitnews trial should let you snag your missing episodes if they were posted in the last 200 days.

Also, you might want to consider joining a private NZB release site. I know that a lot of movies on Usenet are posted under cryptic filenames (so they're not easily found and hence taken down) but are available via private NZB. (private meaning: can't be found using Google; most of these sites are free and have open registration) I suspect that HBO TV shows might be similarly posted. Often private release sites are one of the few places to find frequently-taken-down material.

And then maybe its time to ditch Giganews/Supernews for a less famous, more "under the radar" usenet provider. Either that or supplement the account with Blocknews to get the missing articles.

fluke
06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=fluke;3473283]

Um, did you miss out on the whole months long trial that newzbin just went through? This isn't a new issue that somehow popped up overnight.

I only just started paying for usenet in the past couple of months. Until then, my only experience with usenet was for a short period of time...my ISP offered it for free a couple of years ago before disallowing the alt groups. I always had the impression that usenet was still pretty much underground in the file sharing world and not really touched by crap that affects other forms of filesharing. Which is why I chose to pay for it. I guess I was wrong. So I'm not real familiar with the scene or newzbin...but that's why I signed up for this board.

Thanks for the advice zot...I will look into that.

mesaman
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Guessing from the avatar, fluke is using Grabit?

Grabit doesn't work with fill servers like Blocknews.

unoriginal
06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
And if you are looking for files released in the last few days you can use this setup for free: http://just4today.net/

Only problem is two connections and the speed isn't great, but it is free.

watatatow
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello Guys,

I am also a newbie to this, and I have been having the same problem as what the original poster posted, but with a couple of music files (6 to be exact, totaling just 65 Mbs). I am using binverse, and everytime I try to DL the file, it seems like it is going to start downloading, then I get the "Article not found" error.

It seems like the files are 654 days old, so I dunno if it was taken down or whatever, or maybe I am not looking in the right news group?

Again, I am very new to all of this, and I would really truly appreciate any help you guys may offer.

If it is any help, here is the file that I am looking for:

http://www.nzbclub.com/nzb_view.aspx?mid=167356

Please help, and thanks!

c0ld
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
They are all fine on Astraweb, but they are almost definitely outside of Binverse's retention, which is 500 days.

watatatow
07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Sorry if this is a noob question, but how can I DL them from AstraWeb? Do I need another DL client? input it into binverse?

c0ld
07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Sorry if this is a noob question, but how can I DL them from AstraWeb? Do I need another DL client? input it into binverse?Astraweb is a different provider than Binverse, so if you really wanted old files like this, you'd have to sign up with them (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) and use another client (as in not binverses own client).

watatatow
07-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok, thanks! Can you guarantee me that I will be able to DL this file on Astraweb? I don't want to have to pay $10, and not have the file available. To tell you the truth, this is the only file that I am really interested in downloading... As of today anyways...

c0ld
07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Ok, thanks! Can you guarantee me that I will be able to DL this file on Astraweb? I don't want to have to pay $10, and not have the file available. To tell you the truth, this is the only file that I am really interested in downloading... As of today anyways...

If you want to stick with binverse and only want a one off download, use a block account with another high retention provider. These files are on astraweb atm, but I'm not sure about a block account provider they'd be on because I don't ever need to use them. Blocknews (http://www.blocknews.net/), usenet-news (http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=get)? Someone else might know.

eta; haha, just got a look at binverses prices.. eek.

mesaman
07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
They are gone from Highwinds servers (usenet-news.net, etc.).

watatatow
07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Ok. I have an odd request: Can I pay you to DL the files for me? I can pay you half before and half after transmission?

I've been looking for these tunes for a loooong time, and would hate to be disappointed if they don't work on astraweb...

If you accept, I will be forever grateful. If you don't, that's fine too. I thought it was worth a shot to ask, lol.

(Hope I am not upsetting any moderators... If this is not allowed, i'll be more than happy to delete the post. I just really really really need these tunes...)

Thanks!

mesaman
07-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Blocknews blocks are cheap.

watatatow
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok, so I decided to sign up for astraweb. Paid and everything. What kind of client do I need to DL?

c0ld
07-10-2010, 07:01 PM
There are a few; unzbin, alt.binz and my fav sabnzbd+. sab probably isn't what you're used to though.

watatatow
07-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks. Just downloaded and installed Unzbin. I entered the astraweb sever name, and my username and password... Where do I go to DL the files I am looking for??

c0ld
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
https://www.binsearch.info/index.php?q=Fal+Frett&m=&max=250&adv_g=&adv_age=999&adv_sort=date&minsize=&maxsize=&font=&postdate=

watatatow
07-10-2010, 07:28 PM
OMG it works!!!! Thanks guys! Especially c0ld! thanks for being patient, lol. I'm a fan of this whole usenet thing now. Now, gotta find a way to get my money's worth, hehe.

hdjunky
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok, so I decided to sign up for astraweb. Paid and everything. What kind of client do I need to DL?

I tried it on blocknews it is all there. To bad you signed up to pay per month with astraweb when all you needed was this. You coulda paid 3 bucks once with blocknews and be done with it. Hopefully you can get more use out of astrawebs to justify cost.

watatatow
07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
yeah... but I think I paid for a once-off $10 for 25 gigs of downloads. I Made sure to stay away for the monthly plans. It's def more than $3, but i'm ok with that. I'll keep BlockNews in mind though!

Gt3911
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
FWIW I've been experiencing this issue a few times recently on new article too.

Ie, less than 20 days old 11/60 not found.

(astraweb / grabit)

mesaman
07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Repair with PAR2.

Gt3911
07-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Not enough blocks to do so.

Infact, the latest troublesome post has failed on all Par2 files with this message - not a good start!!

SonsOfLiberty
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Like what exactly TV/Movies/Games?

Gt3911
07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I've only noticed it with movies so far

mesaman
07-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Grabit can make that problem worse, you know.

Gt3911
07-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi,

That wasn't something I was aware of, thanks for pointing that out.

I just installed alt.binz - The same files now show as "Incomplete"