PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a VPS [confused]

fin
06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm considering buying a VPS, setting up uTorrent and downloading a tonne of torrents (legal of course...), but I'm just realising that this would be slower than downloading them straight from the internet to my desktop. This would be because I have a 4.5Mbit/s download speed (around 550/600KB/s).

Sure, I'd download the files to my server at around 8MB/s (lets say it takes 5 mins to download a movie), but then I'd have to FTP it to my computer which would take HOURS because it could only download at 600KB/s, and FTP caps large files so with Blu-Ray movies it's more like 400KB/s. This would take a lot longer (5 mins longer) than just downloading straight from the torrent site to my computer, however, I very rarely see my download reach 500KB/s, which is where a VPS might come in handy.

Is there something I'm missing here, or are VPS servers useless for a person like me?

Is there any way to download movies faster, and be able to watch them faster? There is no way I can upgrade my home connection speed without moving to another city.

Ahh shit, this should have totally gone in the seedbox discussion. Can anyone move it?

Thanks.