PDA

View Full Version : South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape

Darth Sushi
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape
By Faith Karimi, CNN, June 21, 2010 3:44 a.m. EDT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/WORLD/africa/06/20/south.africa.female.condom/story.rape.condom.jpg

(CNN) -- South African Dr. Sonnet Ehlers was on call one night four decades ago when a devastated rape victim walked in. Her eyes were lifeless; she was like a breathing corpse.

"She looked at me and said, 'If only I had teeth down there,'" recalled Ehlers, who was a 20-year-old medical researcher at the time. "I promised her I'd do something to help people like her one day."

Forty years later, Rape-aXe was born.

Ehlers is distributing the female condoms in the various South African cities where the World Cup soccer games are taking place.

The woman inserts the latex condom like a tampon. Jagged rows of teeth-like hooks line its inside and attach on a man's penis during penetration, Ehlers said.

Once it lodges, only a doctor can remove it -- a procedure Ehlers hopes will be done with authorities on standby to make an arrest.

"It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."

Ehlers said she sold her house and car to launch the project, and she planned to distribute 30,000 free devices under supervision during the World Cup period.

"I consulted engineers, gynecologists and psychologists to help in the design and make sure it was safe," she said.

After the trial period, they'll be available for about $2 a piece. She hopes the women will report back to her.

"The ideal situation would be for a woman to wear this when she's going out on some kind of blind date ... or to an area she's not comfortable with," she said.

The mother of two daughters said she visited prisons and talked to convicted rapists to find out whether such a device would have made them rethink their actions.

Some said it would have, Ehlers said.

Critics say the female condom is not a long-term solution and makes women vulnerable to more violence from men trapped by the device.

It's also a form of "enslavement," said Victoria Kajja, a fellow for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the east African country of Uganda. "The fears surrounding the victim, the act of wearing the condom in anticipation of being assaulted all represent enslavement that no woman should be subjected to."

Kajja said the device constantly reminds women of their vulnerability.

"It not only presents the victim with a false sense of security, but psychological trauma," she added. "It also does not help with the psychological problems that manifest after assaults."

However, its one advantage is it allows justice to be served, she said.

Various rights organizations that work in South Africa declined to comment, including Human Rights Watch and Care International.

South Africa has one of the highest rape rates in the world, Human Rights Watch says on its website. A 2009 report by the nation's Medical Research Council found that 28 percent of men surveyed had raped a woman or girl, with one in 20 saying they had raped in the past year, according to Human Rights Watch.

In most African countries, rape convictions are not common. Affected women don't get immediate access to medical care, and DNA tests to provide evidence are unaffordable.

"Women and girls who experience these violations are denied justice, factors that contribute to the normalization of rape and violence in South African society," Human Rights Watch says.

Women take drastic measures to prevent rape in South Africa, Ehlers said, with some wearing extra tight biker shorts and others inserting razor blades wrapped in sponges in their private parts.

Critics have accused her of developing a medieval device to fight rape.

"Yes, my device may be a medieval, but it's for a medieval deed that has been around for decades," she said. "I believe something's got to be done ... and this will make some men rethink before they assault a woman.""

:source: Source: http://us.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/20/south.africa.female.condom/index.html?hpt=C1

All I can say is: this is wicked!!! Imagine if your angry wife or girlfriend decided to use one because you forgot to put down the toilet seat :w00t:

Mr. Mulder
06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
that wouldn't even slow me down, if anything i'd just me more turned on and cum quicker :snooty:

darkstate01
06-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Somebody's already had a thread wrote about this,old news-sorry. http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-the-drawing-room-55/t-anti-rape-device-406440/?highlight=teeth

Darth Sushi
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Somebody's already had a thread wrote about this,old news-sorry. http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-the-drawing-room-55/t-anti-rape-device-406440/?highlight=teeth

oops

megabyteme
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm kinda tempted to put one of those on myself just to see if I can get the thing back off. Reminds me of those old "Chinese finger traps". Hours of fun! :w00t:

tesco
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
They were talking about this on the radio this morning.
I was thinking that when the man goes to rape the woman and finds that this thing has latched itself onto his penis would his first instinct not be to hurt her in some way? Maybe even kill her for doing this to him? It doesn't seem that far off seeing as he's already raping her. :wacko:
I just don't see how this can solve anything.

Another thing is that a woman would have to wear this at all times just on the off-chance that she gets raped. How is that worth it?

megabyteme
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
On a serious note, once word gets out about this, it wouldn't take too much imagination for someone to "check" with a stick, or something else nasty. And, you are right, Tesco. Women are getting chopped with machetes in these places anyway. Killing her for not being cooperative is not a stretch of the imagination...

There are some really messed up things in the world. :(

Darth Sushi
06-22-2010, 11:23 AM
...Maybe even kill her for doing this to him? It doesn't seem that far off seeing as he's already raping her. :wacko:
I just don't see how this can solve anything.

Another thing is that a woman would have to wear this at all times just on the off-chance that she gets raped. How is that worth it?

I have a feeling when a penis is skewered, you're going to be looking for relief instead of revenge...at least until the pain subsides. Perhaps that's just enough for the rape victim to escape.

darkstate01
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm sure the scumbag turd rapist is going to be more interested in whats biting into his helmet than saying to himself, i'm going to beat/kill the poor lady underneath me.
I think the whole point of the device is to even the playing field by giving the lady a fighting chance of getting the hell out of there before the turd gets his act together and retaliates.
Its a shame it doesn't have a timer on it as well so once its attached,it desolve's his helmet, so his raping issues are solved once and for all.
These hardup sex perverts deserve everything thats thrown at them without prejudice with the rise of h.i.v in there country.

diceman89
06-23-2010, 07:00 PM
This isn't very original. I've seen things like this before.

enoughfakefiles
06-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Threads :unsure:

megabyteme
06-24-2010, 03:58 AM

How'd you get the device off yer penis? :O

Barbarossa
06-24-2010, 08:49 AM
He has a very small penis

scribblec
06-27-2010, 07:00 PM
how uncomfortable would that be to walk around with it between ur legs all the time

megabyteme
06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
how uncomfortable would that be to walk around with it between ur legs all the time

A penis? Not too bad at all, really. It needs attention sometimes, but I am married, so it never goes too long without release. I guess it would be worse if situations were different.

Given the option to have one, or not, I'd keep it. Sure the hell beats doing laundry and dishes! :happy:

darkstate01
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Fair answer to an easy enough question.