PDA

View Full Version : The Last Airbender [2010]

mr. nails
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
i don't really care for the director and the acting looks horrid, but the cgi looks cool. cgi sells?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMoGFeMmhKA

megabyteme
06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I was bendin' air last night. Thank you Taco Bell! :ermm:

db_la_23
06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
looks good thanks

brisker
06-29-2010, 07:14 AM
saw the trailer yesterday and some of it makes me think it could well be a bad film, just, you know, litered with pricy CGI. Hmmm. We'll see.

poyros
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
thunks

clocker
07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
cgi sells?

Only to easily impressed mouthbreathers.

So, yes, CGI sells BIG.

j2k4
07-09-2010, 01:35 AM
cgi sells?

Only to easily impressed mouthbreathers.

So, yes, CGI sells BIG.

In the archive, they are referred to as "People Who Read People".

As I recall.

reccakeys123
07-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah! I agree very nice. Like you I also love the CGI thing. When watching movie I often look to the graphics. If I hate the graphics, I don't watched it.

Townsend
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah great, a mixture of what? LOTR, The Fifth Element and Kung Fu Kids. Another unnecessary movie :/

c0ld
07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Yeah great, a mixture of what? LOTR, The Fifth Element and Kung Fu Kids. Another unnecessary movie :/No, it would've been an excellent film if that ego-driven twat of a director hadn't butchered the characters and story of the original.

muc147
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I was bendin' air last night. Thank you Taco Bell! :ermm:
haha
gr8
I would love to bend the air when this movie comes to my country :D

JunkBarMan
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
No, it would've been an excellent film if that ego-driven twat of a director hadn't butchered the characters and story of the original.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

mooger
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
CGI does sell big people will go see it

clocker
07-13-2010, 12:24 PM
CGI is ubiquitous in almost every film you see today, even the ones you wouldn't expect to look for it in.

Technology is a wonderful thing but has lately become the whole point of many blockbuster films, far overshadowing the scripting and acting in favor of the "WOW!" factor.

I recently read a retrospective review of Jaws which discussed the problems Speilberg had with the mechanical shark (named Bruce, after Speilberg's lawyer).
It basically didn't work and Speilberg had to work around the fact that he couldn't present a convincing shark on screen...his solutions made the movie the icon it's become and Jaws would almost certainly have been much weaker film had the special effects been more advanced and reliable.

Another example of this would be Alien.
You don't really ever see the creature until the very end (where it's pretty obvious you're looking at some poor schmuck in a rubber suit) and the suspense level is cranked way up because you're forced to imagine the creature instead of being presented with the images outright.

Neither of these movies would be the same if made today and I'll posit that neither would be as good.

IdolEyes787
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
CGI should only be used to compliment a script not take the place of one.
Also although it's never going to happen again CGI can't duplicate the feeling that you get from seeing thousands of extras onscreen like in Dr Zhivago or Gone with the Wind .
I don't care what anyone says there is no emotional resonance watching a bunch of blue cartoon characters live or die in Avatar.It's the cheap thrill of a roller coaster at best and as far removed from art( or humanity) as possible.

brilman
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah great, a mixture of what? LOTR, The Fifth Element and Kung Fu Kids. Another unnecessary movie :/No, it would've been an excellent film if that ego-driven twat of a director hadn't butchered the characters and story of the original.

Guess he was looking for a new film and his kids told him about this one. He said in a interview that he watched a few min. of it :unsure:

And yes CGI,3D sell wonder what happened to smell-a-vision?

clocker
07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
what happened to smell-a-vision?
It stunk.

chalice
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
CGI is ubiquitous in almost every film you see today, even the ones you wouldn't expect to look for it in.

Technology is a wonderful thing but has lately become the whole point of many blockbuster films, far overshadowing the scripting and acting in favor of the "WOW!" factor.

I recently read a retrospective review of Jaws which discussed the problems Speilberg had with the mechanical shark (named Bruce, after Speilberg's lawyer).
It basically didn't work and Speilberg had to work around the fact that he couldn't present a convincing shark on screen...his solutions made the movie the icon it's become and Jaws would almost certainly have been much weaker film had the special effects been more advanced and reliable.

Another example of this would be Alien.
You don't really ever see the creature until the very end (where it's pretty obvious you're looking at some poor schmuck in a rubber suit) and the suspense level is cranked way up because you're forced to imagine the creature instead of being presented with the images outright.

Neither of these movies would be the same if made today and I'll posit that neither would be as good.

I haven't seen it in a while, and my memory of it may well be padded by the post-hype, but wasn't one of the most iconic moments from Alien John Hurt's intestines exploding into our innocent faces? I think we all grew up a little after seeing that. Be it rubber gunge or CGI.

Point being, the dramatic effect is purely pivotal upon the accepted cinematic realism of a give era. The Exorcist springs to mind. At the time, it was terrifying, today it's a little schlock.

Kids are spoilt these days. And I suppose we are too.

clocker
07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Of course, the chestburster scene is probably the single most memorable part of Alien but if you rewatch the film, that single short view of the alien as it skitters away on the floor is the only time you see the entire creature till the end of the movie (Sigourney Weaver's panties being the second most iconic shot...maybe).

The point being that what the audience is forced to imagine is always scarier than what you hand them on a platter.

Forgetting this maxim leads to inanities like the Saw/Hostel franchises, where the audience is spoonfed the horror and the visual ante must rise with each sequel because the assumption is that the audience is too stupid to use their imaginations.

Which is probably true.

chalice
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Of course, the chestburster scene is probably the single most memorable part of Alien but if you rewatch the film, that single short view of the alien as it skitters away on the floor is the only time you see the entire creature till the end of the movie (Sigourney Weaver's panties being the second most iconic shot...maybe).

The point being that what the audience is forced to imagine is always scarier than what you hand them on a platter.

Forgetting this maxim leads to inanities like the Saw/Hostel franchises, where the audience is spoonfed the horror and the visual ante must rise with each sequel because the assumption is that the audience is too stupid to use their imaginations.

Which is probably true.

Hovering on my principle point, to qualify, I'm saying that, at the time, Alien was cutting edge special effects, despite the scarcity of the monster. I'm certainly not disputing the huge effect of the cinematic veil and reveal. This permeates all drama (or comedy).

Just that, this was one of the seminal moments between the artistry of shadow and light and the ability to expose all.

clocker
07-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Ah, I was being dense, sorry.

Interviews with the actors (I think Veronica Cartwright) reveal that even they were unaware of exactly what was going to happen and the shock and disgust were very real.

chalice
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Interviews with the actors (I think Veronica Cartwright) reveal that even they were unaware of exactly what was going to happen and the shock and disgust were very real.

I take that point. By all accounts, Shelly Duval got a pretty good going over by Kubrick.

So it's pain you like? I can understand that.

We're brothers after all.

IdolEyes787
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM

The brilliance was that the audience was expecting Sci-Fi and what Scott gave them instead was a full on horror movie . Kinda like going to a baby shower and walking into a wild party instead.
Not that big a deal that wild party but it still takes you considerably longer for your mind to come to grip with the situation.
Anyway that's my theory why Alien had such monumental impact since seriously,except for the art direction, it not really that great a movie.

clocker
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyway that's my theory why Alien had such monumental impact since seriously,except for the art direction, it not really that great a movie.
I disagree.
It did have great art direction though.

sugakid
07-24-2010, 07:52 AM
IMO i tink it looks pretty damn good.

hackingfan
07-26-2010, 06:57 PM
better watch anime

lovelovelove
08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
longer for your mind to come to grip with the situation.

hussein007
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
cheers matey

mr. nails
10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
BOOK 1: WATER

so, i'm guessing the first story of a long going movie is complete and i didn't really care for it. i've never seen an episode of the anime so i'm not sure if this is what it originated from or not, but the story seemed promising, but the acting and choreography was bad. even the cgi was meh for the entirety of the film. the film was never epic and it just throws you into this 14 year old kids sobbing story. not much was told leading up to, "Let's just capture this guy." horrible script writing that's known from m. knight shanananananana. glowing fishes, a flying buffalo and a dragon with social anxiety disorder. 3/10

mjmacky
10-04-2010, 07:11 AM
It's not technically anime since it's an American cartoon. Only reason I mention that was because I avoided this toon for a long time simply based on the fact it was a Nickelodeon production. Someone finally convinced me to try it out and I fell in love with it. I think it borrows some of the elements of an anime production and didn't remain too childish (which is what I feared). There were even some parts that gave me goosebumps because it was so exciting to watch.

The movie on the other hand, you couldn't force me to watch it short of a $250 donation.

100%
10-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Watch this instead, and it is only 15 minutes.
I advise watching it in HD
here it is
Sintel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

mr. nails
10-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Watch this instead, and it is only 15 minutes.
I advise watching it in HD
here it is
Sintel

i failed to get this earlier. thx for posting. i liked it. it was sad. :'(

SelfMadeMMAn
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
TLA bored me to tears

efezafer
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks

JustDOSE
10-25-2010, 06:18 AM
this fuckin movie rules, only the die hard fans of the series wont like it because it doesnt follow the cartoons story.... fuckin stop whining.

clocker
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
this fuckin movie rules, only the die hard fans of the series wont like it because it doesnt follow the cartoons story.... fuckin stop whining.
You'll be thrilled to learn that I watched the movie just so I could respond to your post.
You owe me 103 minutes of my life back.
Paypal accepted.

I have never seen the cartoon (or anime, if you're a pretentious asshat), so had no preconceptions of the story/canon.
The only M. Night Shaylawhatever film I've ever seen was The Sixth Sense (which was OK), so I didn't really loathe the director either.

TLA is clearly a children's movie and I'm not a child, nor am I mentally deficient which I assume must be a prerequisite for an adult liking this ....thing.

Events happen for no discernible reason, the plot depends on convenient stupidity and for some reason all the adults defer to children.

The special effects were competent, so there's that, I suppose.

I'd be a lot more irate- and spend more effort being snarky- had I actually paid to see this piece of crap but since I didn't, I'm done.

j2k4
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
You'll be thrilled to learn that I watched the movie just so I could respond to your post.
You owe me 103 minutes of my life back.
Paypal accepted.

I have never seen the cartoon (or anime, if you're a pretentious asshat), so had no preconceptions of the story/canon.
The only M. Night Shaylawhatever film I've ever seen was The Sixth Sense (which was OK), so I didn't really loathe the director either.

TLA is clearly a children's movie and I'm not a child, nor am I mentally deficient which I assume must be a prerequisite for an adult liking this ....thing.

Events happen for no discernible reason, the plot depends on convenient stupidity and for some reason all the adults defer to children.

The special effects were competent, so there's that, I suppose.

I'd be a lot more irate- and spend more effort being snarky- had I actually paid to see this piece of crap but since I didn't, I'm done.

Gee, thanks for taking it easy on me over the "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" fiasco, huh? :D

GreenScorpioN
12-04-2010, 03:53 AM
i like the story...

repunzel
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
It is a fantastic tv show. i really like to watch in this show.

mjmacky
05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I might be repeating myself, but this time I actually watched the movie.

The movie was terrible, I really don't know what he was trying to do. I am a huge fan of the series, and it's not an anime, it's an american cartoon (you stated it correctly, but you had the pretentiousness backwards clocker). Sure children can enjoy it, but I really loved the series as an adult. So perhaps you could consider it family friendly, the characters are more goofy than serious (unlike the film), but it can get intense at times. If I'm going to be candid about this, I remember doing the following things at least once during the series: tearing up out of seeing a touching sentiment (both times!), and having all the hairs on my body stand on end over seeing a cool and exciting concept (the first time).

So I don't really care about the fact that the movie wasted my time, what really saddens me is that this movie does the series no justice. In fact, forget justice, the movie was harmful to the series. If you're a usenettie, I highly recommend checking this series out, it's been POSTED (http://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/misc/33343-Avatar-the-Last-Airbender-Complete-Series-DVDrip-x264-McXode)

samneil
05-04-2011, 05:32 AM
The last airbender movie is really very nice. I watch it many times.

mjmacky
05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
The last airbender movie is really very nice. I watch it many times.

Perhaps that's because your dad skullf*cked you when you were 8 years old, and in the process you lost one eye and most of your brain function. You probably don't even know you're posting in this forum, you're probably not even real.

clocker
05-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Or perhaps he just liked the movie.
Sometimes an opinion, much like a cigar, is just an opinion.

Or... he really is a sexually abused bot (which I totally didn't even know was possible).

megabyteme
05-05-2011, 04:50 AM
I am able to bend air after a few cheap tacos and a couple beers. Fact. Impressive? Maybe. Movie worthy? I think not. :no:

Quarterquack
05-05-2011, 04:58 AM
That's not air that's getting bent after those beers, mbm.

megabyteme
05-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Damn you, and your science dealy stuff, Rings! :fist:

iLOVENZB
05-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I guess people only appreciate the CGI after they are succumbed to tv budget effects for so long? :idunno:

mjmacky
05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Who's complaining about the CGI?

Ajdaho
05-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Excelent movie

mjmacky
05-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Excelent movie

I would rather watch you set yourself on fire in a bending accident

hassanen9
06-08-2011, 01:44 PM