PDA

View Full Version : John Wayne vs. Clint Eastwood

diceman89
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
So, a friend and I have been in an argument over who is better: John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. I say Clint Eastwood. What do you guys think? Base your opinion on whatever you would like: who's the better actor, who's movies are better, who you think would win in a fight to the death, whatever.

darkstate01
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I like the both of them as actors, as far as to the death clint's characters have always been relentless killers either as a cop or in the spaghetti westerns, where as the duke(john wayne) has always been a good guy killing the baddies either as a sheriff or cop.
Its a hard decision but i'll go with clint just because is films are the coolest and most brutal.

IdolEyes787
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
It's an easy decision Clint Eatwood.John Wayne was a terrible actor, he only won the Oscar for True Grit ( which btw is a great movie despite the terrible acting on the part of the principles - the heroes at least ) becuae Hollywood needed to give him something before he died.
The fact that he was passable in films like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance ,Stagecoach,The Longest Day and The Searchers speaks to the greatness of those movies and not to Wayne's talent.
If you want to see The Duke unsupported by talent look at some thing like The Barbarian and the Geisha and tremble.
Eastwood on the other hand always made any film he was in better (OK not Blood Work but then who could).

Btw Eastwood always a relentless killer?:unsure:

Gh2UzWgSw3Q

EwlPzIhDEdM

darkstate01
06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
I meant in his spaghetti western and cop films, he always had a body count, thats why i always watched his films, he had dark humour followed by a bullet.
And singing paint you wagon clint eastwood is worlds apart from "blondie" in the good the bad and the ugly, for dog sake.

Burnsy
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Clint Eastwood... easy!!! John Wayne could never have flown a shuttle in space with Tommy Lee Jones as a side kick...

In all seriousness, even if Eastwood had only ever made 'Unforgiven', then that in itself is enough to kick Marion Morrison into touch, erm sorry, John Wayne (no wonder he changed it....)

megabyteme
06-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I'll take Eastwood, not just because of his talent, but for the fact that he is still alive. You can do all kinds of stuff when you are alive that dead people just cannot do.

Eastwood could wipe his ass on Wayne's hat and get away with it.

Now, if they were still both alive, Eastwood would still kick Wayne's extremely old, cancer ridden ass.

I just don't see the competition, really. :unsure:

100%
06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
My parents forced me to watch both, so for me they are icons of my past.
What effect they had on my life is determined by my grandchildrens income.

IdolEyes787
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
cannot do.

Eastwood could wipe his ass on Wayne's hat and get away with it.

Now, if they were still both alive, Eastwood would still kick Wayne's extremely old, cancer ridden ass.

Other cowboys who could kick both their asses.

Neville Brand : 4th most decorated American in WWII including the Purple Heart and Silver Star.

James (Marshal Dillon ) Arness : Because of his heigtht 6'7" ordered the first of the landing craft to test the depth of the water on Anzio Beach .Severely wounded received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.Still carries bullet fragments fused to his leg bone to this day.

Although much better known for playing a cop burt still spent some time in the saddle Charles Durning: Army Ranger and as such one of the first to land on Omaha Beach on D-Day( a real life John Miller .Suck on that Tom Hanks)3!! Purple Hearts and the Silver Star. Just like a character from Band of Brothers he left hospital to return to his company for the Battle of the Bulge where he was agaiin wounded.

And the smallest (5'1" dwarfed by fucking Alan Ladd)and most renowned of all Audie Murphy : Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit, two Bronze Stars with Valor device, and three Purple Hearts (all for actual combat wounds).

Cited for the Medal of Honor- Second Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by six tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to a prepared position in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, one of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire, which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from three sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad that was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued his single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way back to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack, which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective

Watch him play himself (badly) in To Hell and Back.
Shitty actor great soldier.Bravery doesn't take your height into account.

Let's see John Wayne's participation during WWII was limited to playing a few soldiers in movies.:ermm:

db_la_23
06-24-2010, 02:01 AM
i would go for Eastwood

vigour
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Eastwood !!!

Nhdj743
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Clint Eastwood. Not even close.

deadman36g
08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I love both but for westerns, I gotta give the nudge to the Duke, just barely though

lovelovelove
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Clint Eastwood. Not even close too :)

08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
John Wayne owned and sometimes lived at a Ranch in Eagar, Arizona, and according my great grandparents, he was a cool guy. And his movies are better, so I'm voting for John Wayne.

Speedo
08-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I think their equal as bad actors. They both just sort of squint and say one or two lines while looking slightly away from the camera. But Clint has been in better movies.

rounder
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Charles Bronson pwns

Windy72
08-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Hell, bullets bounce of John Wayne just for fun. Clint would never stand a chance. Ohh and he spat tobacco on a dogs head in Outlaw Josey Wales nasty fella. Wayne wins :dry:

certus
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I love both but for westerns, I gotta give the nudge to the Duke, just barely though

agree with u on that one.

besides dirty harry i like the movies eastwood is directing a lot

cinephilia
08-20-2010, 02:26 AM
lee van cleef

PBO
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I also miss Henry Fonda? I don't watch a lot of western movies, and afaik he didn't act in many of them, but he is just superb :)

Otherwise I would pick Clint Eastwood, if I have to. The few films I have seen with John Wayne were terribly disappointing, which might be due to the movie making of these days or due to the incredible movies by Sergio Leone...

need
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Eastwood... but I've never seen a John Wayne movie... have seen lots of Eastwood movies though... Eastwood!!!

el7is
09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
wayne.....

ELearner
09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Clint

westyboy
09-04-2010, 07:59 AM
As actors:
John Wayne was an awesome cowboy, but was never that convincing off the saddle.
Clint Eastwood on the other hand has been successful both in westerns, detectives, and also comedy.
My vote has to go to Clint ........................................good topic

nemo8
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Clint Eastwood :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmc64hb-uR4 The best Clint imitation from Jim Carrey.

josecitox
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Clint rules

anon
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Sheesh, cut it out with the spam. :dabs:

IdolEyes787
09-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Sheesh, cut it out with the spam. :dabs:

Read this one .http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/386525-HD-DVD-vs-BluRay/page2:dabs: (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/386525-HD-DVD-vs-BluRay/page2)

anon
09-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Read this one .http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/386525-HD-DVD-vs-BluRay/page2:dabs: (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/386525-HD-DVD-vs-BluRay/page2)

Just did. As I've stated many times in the past, this really boggles my mind, really. FST is a very large and active forum, and it'd take just a little while to write twenty posts that are at least semi-constructive, instead of spamming crap all over the place.

Oh well... :sleep:

IdolEyes787
09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I grant thee Mod powers.Go forth ,seek out transgressors and punish them with thy Holy wrath.

anon
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I grant thee Mod powers.

The wait is over! :lol:

polsat
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
only Clint Eastwood

nye
09-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Different styles/eras really. I'd go with Wayne, though.

TraNNNce
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM
clint eastwood ! for shure

SelfMadeMMAn
09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd go with John Wayne
Sons of Katie Elder being my top pick

stay-cool
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
clint eastwood... a great actor and a greater regizor