PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys quick question....

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I told my girlfriend about vuze a little less than a year ago....A few months ago comcast sent a letter saying to stop of they would have to pay hefty fines and what not. After that she deleted everything and uninstalled vuze. But she was downloading alot i think and was keeping vuze on and not shutting it down. Was comcast just upset that she was using alot of bandwidth? Anywho... I forgot, and yesterday and took my laptop over there and downloaded 3 movies. None were very recent, it was released in theaters late in 09. Im worried that comcast is still looking at their IP address? Does it make a difference that I downloaded it from my computer and not a computer from their household? Im not very wise on how they handle that kind of thing

anon
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Does it make a difference that I downloaded it from my computer and not a computer from their household? Im not very wise on how they handle that kind of thing

The IP is the same, although the MAC address will be different, and they can easily notice this.

Regarding your other question, as far as I know most Comcast plans have a monthly cap... perhaps your girlfriend went over it that time, and that's why they nudged her.

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Hopefully thats why they sent that. I dont have the funds to shell out some major dough for something like that. lol You think im just over thinking this situation? I sure am hoping im just being paranoid

anon
06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Just find out what the monthly cap for her plan is and tell her not to download and upload more than that every month :happy:

megabyteme
06-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Concast will only shut you off for going over 250GB in a six month period. They do not have overage charges for bandwidth.

It is very likely you received a notice of copyright infringement. Do not ever respond to such a letter. Ignore it, but do change the way you download- sticking to private, not public sites is usually better. You may want to use an IP filtering software that keeps your client from connecting to known anti-p2p computers.

Also, it is good to secure your wireless connection. You may have an unscrupulous neighbor (the scum) who is downloading off your line and causing the notice(s) to be sent to you.

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 06:46 PM
What do you mean private sites? I think im gonna stay away from vuze from now on. I just now came across a site called warez-bb where you need to sign up. is that considered private?

anon
06-24-2010, 06:49 PM
What do you mean private sites?

He means private BitTorrent trackers, i.e. those where you need to register an account to leech from them, and most of the time require you to keep an acceptable share ratio. Some are invite-only. As you can see, security-wise that's better than public trackers, where anyone can join the swarm.

I just now came across a site called warez-bb where you need to sign up. is that considered private?

Yes, although Warez-BB is a forum, not a tracker. The files are hosted on one-click hosters, though, this is proportionally even safer than private trackers.

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Sooooo basically what you are saying is ditch vuze in favor of warez-bb and I will be in better/safer shape?

Also would it be safe for her to download from a place like warez-bb? Or would you recommend that she lays low for a long while?

anon
06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Sooooo basically what you are saying is ditch vuze in favor of warez-bb and I will be in better/safer shape?

In P2P, your IP is visible to everyone. With one-click hosters, only the hoster can see it. So if you want extra security, get stuff from Warez-BB.

Also would it be safe for her to download from a place like warez-bb?

Yes, for the reason mentioned above. :)

Also, just for the record, you don't download "from" WBB, they only provide links to stuff hosted on Rapidshare/Megaupload/Mediafire, etc.

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=anon-sbi;3475225.

Also, just for the record, you don't download "from" WBB, they only provide links to stuff hosted on Rapidshare/Megaupload/Mediafire, etc.[/QUOTE]

Touche' lol Im gonna guess that warez-bb is gonna use alot less bandwidth than vuze so it wont bring as much attention to comcast if she goes crazy on the downloading again. correct?

I say this because normally it took me 30-60 min to download a full length movie from vuze and on warez-bb it took 3 minutes

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Touche' lol Im gonna guess that warez-bb is gonna use alot less bandwidth than vuze so it wont bring as much attention to comcast if she goes crazy on the downloading again. correct?

I say this because normally it took me 30-60 min to download a full length movie from vuze and on warez-bb it took 3 minutes

anon
06-24-2010, 07:15 PM
When downloading stuff from hosters you draw as much "attention" as with any other HTTP download. Vuze, in turn, needs to communicate with the tracker and peers (extra overhead).

But if she download gigs and gigs of stuff, the cap will still be eventually reached, of course.

Oman0123
06-24-2010, 08:01 PM
When downloading stuff from hosters you draw as much "attention" as with any other HTTP download. Vuze, in turn, needs to communicate with the tracker and peers (extra overhead).

But if she download gigs and gigs of stuff, the cap will still be eventually reached, of course.

sorry for all the questions....when you said "when downloading stuff from hosters you draw as much "attention" as with any other HTTP download" Is that a lot? She may download a couple movies or a couple Seasons of her favorite show if she uses warez. I know those are usually a few gigs themselves on vuze.

anon
06-24-2010, 08:03 PM
sorry for all the questions....when you said "when downloading stuff from hosters you draw as much "attention" as with any other HTTP download" Is that a lot?

I don't think so :)

Sonnentier
06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
The IP is the same, although the MAC address will be different, and they can easily notice this.
I don't think so, BayTSP sends infringement letter to Comcast with the public IP, they have no MAC, and even
Comcast usually has the router's MAC and it's untraceable where in the household this originated.

Anyway, Oman0123 you should be pretty much safe when downloading "off warez-bb"; ISPs usually do NOT
monitor what people communicate through their line, and both warez-bb and Rapidshare/Megaupload wont
easily disclose information, it's their business not to do so.

anon
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't think so, BayTSP sends infringement letter to Comcast with the public IP, they have no MAC, and even
Comcast usually has the router's MAC and it's untraceable where in the household this originated.

I was referring to Comcast, but you're right, if he's using a router they should always see its MAC address and not the computers'. :)