PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Pad

bigdawgfoxx
11-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Everyone here says they use Thermal Paste, but I just watched a video that says paste wears out and a thermal pad is better..? Is this true? Thanx for ne help!

3rd gen noob
11-01-2003, 07:42 PM
i'd say thermal paste...

Lamsey
11-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Paste, without a doubt. It offers a much better seal between the processor die and the heatsink; since it is a liquid, it can fill in the tiny nooks and crannies much more efficiently than a solid pad.

bigdawgfoxx
11-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Oh ok...well Lamsey that does make since. I dont know why they said the pad was better...they said paste wears off...how long would it take for the paste to wear off?

3rd gen noob
11-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@1 November 2003 - 20:01
Oh ok...well Lamsey that does make since. I dont know why they said the pad was better...they said paste wears off...how long would it take for the paste to wear off?
longer than you'll use the processor for...

Virtualbody1234
11-01-2003, 08:23 PM
The way I deal with this is... When using a new cooler that has a pad already in place then use it.

If ever you remove the cooler then take away all the pad material and use paste.

If the cooler had no pad to begin with then use paste.

I like arctic silver.

lynx
11-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Same as virtual.

DON'T mix pad and paste. If necessary, remove all traces of pad with a wooden or plastic scraper (not metal) and clean thoroughly with solvent before adding paste.

Pads melt slightly when used, so they are the ones whih will 'run out'. Some silicone based pastes remain semi-liquid, but Arctic Silver paste fills all the tiny crevices then solidifies, so it can never run away.