PDA

View Full Version : Purported Windows 8 document leaks to Web

Rart
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/06/28/win_logo_100x100.pngPurported Windows 8 document leaks to Web
June 28, 2010

" Microsoft still won't officially use Windows and the number eight in the same sentence, but several Microsoft enthusiast sites have posted what appear to be some early details on the next version of Microsoft's flagship operating system.

On his Microsoft Journal Web site, Francisco Martin Garcia posted several slides stamped "Microsoft Confidential" that discuss key features of the still hush-hush operating system, including a focus on facial recognition as a means of authentication as well as improving boot-up times. The goal, according to the information, is that slates and laptops would be able to resume from sleep in less than a second.

The slides also suggest that the new operating system will support features such as 3D displays, wireless connection to televisions, as well as for things like USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0. CNET has not yet been able to independently confirm the authenticity of the slides, but key points, such as the use of internal Microsoft jargon, lend weight to their legitimacy.

Among the other features said to be under consideration for Windows 8 is an ambient light feature that would allow the display to automatically adjust to changes in lighting. Microsoft is also said to be considering a new mechanism for resetting a PC to its default state, while keeping a user's files, settings, and applications.

Another enthusiast site, Microsoft Kitchen, has a bunch more slides, including a discussion of Apple; plans to focus on slates, laptops, and all-in-ones; as well as a focus on improved energy efficiency. Many of those slides are also dated April 20, 2010.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.

The software maker has not talked about its plans beyond Windows 7. Microsoft has said that it is working on a minor "service pack" update to Windows 7 and will start testing it next month. That update, however, consists largely of bug fixes and doesn't add significant features. Much of the company's plans for this year center around touting the popularity of Windows 7 and pitching updates being made to the free, downloadable Windows Live Essentials programs, including Photo Gallery and Movie Maker. The company issued a public beta version of the updated Essentials tools last week, also noting that Microsoft has now sold 150 million Windows 7 licenses.

Although the desktop team hasn't commented on when to expect Windows 8, the Windows Server team showed slides at last year's Professional Developers Conference saying that it expected to have a major release of that operating system around 2012. Earlier this month, Server and Tools unit president Bob Muglia confirmed to CNET that the next server operating system will be a major release and is being developed along with its desktop counterpart, although he did not give a release time frame.

Beyond the features listed, the Microsoft Journal slides also suggest how far along development was, as of their writing. The slides make reference to feedback that Microsoft still wanted to gather on encrypted hard drives prior to "M1." Microsoft typically refers to internal milestones as M1, M2, etc. So this suggests that the company is still in the planning, rather than testing phase, at least as of the writing of the document.

The slides do appear to continue along some of the messaging themes that Microsoft started with Windows 7, both in terms of how it markets Windows to consumers as well as its efforts to improve collaboration with PC makers. The slides make reference to designing Windows 8 with the goal that PC makers will have more opportunities to make their systems unique.

Microsoft has been holding a regular series of meetings, known as forums, with hardware makers to improve relations post-Windows Vista. Several computer makers said there were significant improvements in communication during both the design and testing of Windows 7.

The Microsoft Journal document also makes reference to Forum II, while the April Microsoft Kitchen documents have Forum II highlighted, suggesting that perhaps they came from that meeting with computer makers. There is also reference to a Forum I with a December date. Future events are li "

:source: Source: Purported Windows 8 document leaks to Web (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20009035-56.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1):view: Homepage: Cnet News (http://news.cnet.com)

darkstate01
06-28-2010, 10:56 PM
They better sort out the damn explorer in the next update because everytime it has to do something energetic it starts jumping around the screen.
Windows 7 has a lot of whistle's and bells but to me it also has a few bugs with eh easy stuff like explorer not being to stable.
The only thing i'm Interested in is the whole new bag of tricks that seem to be coming out this year like usb3 and bluetooth 3.
2012 for the next wave of the new os sound a little bit premature to me but hey look what happened to vistas lifespan.

Tv Controls you
06-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Windows 8 will be out.... And still businesses will be running on xp lol.

Cloud computing is where the future of business machines is at.....
These new windows versions are just fun to pirate and throw on a high end machine lol.

USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0 just sound like a rip off... They are going to release all 3.0 trash for $100 over a 2.0 version...
Wireless connection to tv..... Isn't this a feature of windows 7 already???..... Anyone I rather stick to my home media server lol..

mr. nails
06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
i'll agree with dark. explorer needs fixed.

i'll also stand behind what i've said since 7 came out. vista is still better. thx.

CryBaby
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I think they should wait a little and fix Windows 7. I always thought I won't be the one getting so many bugs. Unfortunately, almost every time I do something productive I get annoyed by constant bugs and bad search.

Sporkk
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Microsoft is also said to be considering a new mechanism for resetting a PC to its default state, while keeping a user's files, settings, and applications.
Could this be some sort of virtualization security? I don't see how they could do a total reset without breaking the applications. With software out like shadow defender you reboot and any changes you make are dumped but the trusted software has to be installed before you activate it if you want it to be permanent.

darkstate01
06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Overall its a pleasure to use and run, but if you have any experience with linux you will see that stuff like aero and the new taskbar are ripped straight from ubuntu.
The difference being ubuntu's machines works fine.
I just wish i had a lot more time to play with ubuntu and knew what i was doing when i had it on.
And usb 3.0 is only 15£ for a pci-e card off ebay, whats that, 100$ us :P
I haven't not seen any cards for that yet though.

Rart
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
vista is still better. thx.

What? :blink:

Care if I ask why?

darkstate01
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
And there was silence.

mr. nails
07-04-2010, 08:20 PM
vista is still better. thx.

What? :blink:

Care if I ask why?

only because it wasn't worth backing up all my files just to format and install win7. i've found that vista (for me) runs just as fast as win7 and is more secure. also, as stated above i hate win7's explorer. for a new user u might as well install win7. for someone that already has vista u might as well stay. unless u just wanna check out win7 (which is basically what i did and i dont' care to dual boot anymore).