PDA

View Full Version : Messenger Popups

Storm
11-02-2003, 01:58 AM
i keep getting this pop-up that i should visit MessageStop (http://www.MessageStop.net) and buy a lil prog that keeps spammers from usin a security hole in windows messenger 2 spam you with pop-ups.......

is this shit 4 real??? i mean, can ppl spam you through messenger??? and if so, how do i get around it (obviously im not PAYING $10 4 that, especially not 2 sum company that SPAMMED (notice the irony here?) me about it!!!)

TheFilePirater
11-02-2003, 02:02 AM
haha, im guessing ur running winxp, if u got xp wit sp1 then u can un-install messenger, but i kno there is another way, im sure some1 will post it

callum
11-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Disable it.

To disable Windows Messenger Service:
1. click Start > Run
2. type: services.msc /s
3. in the Services window, scroll down to locate Messenger.
4. right click on the word Messenger and select Properties.
5. click the General tab
6. in the Start up panel field:
- i) click the down arrow and select Disabled.
- ii) Just below in Service Status, click on the Stop button.

wormless
11-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by callum@2 November 2003 - 02:04
Disable it.

To disable Windows Messenger Service:
1. click Start > Run
2. type: services.msc /s
3. in the Services window, scroll down to locate Messenger.
4. right click on the word Messenger and select Properties.
5. click the General tab
6. in the Start up panel field:
- i) click the down arrow and select Disabled.
- ii) Just below in Service Status, click on the Stop button.
i was just gonna post tht

Storm
11-02-2003, 02:15 AM
WOW, thnx, thats even better than i had thought....... finally rid of the worst program since windows............

the-ninja69
11-02-2003, 02:23 AM
It seems like someone asks this same question everyday, there has to be a way to tell ppl not to ask this and have the answer posted somewhere they can access easy.

tutv
11-02-2003, 02:33 AM
Just remember that the Messenger Service has nothing to do with Windows Messenger.

Shiranai_Baka
11-02-2003, 04:56 AM
I disabled messenger service last time.. and it didnt work.. then my friend gave me some reg key to delete windows messenger and then those messages never came up anymore

Rip The Jacker
11-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Storm@1 November 2003 - 17:58
i keep getting this pop-up that i should visit MessageStop (http://www.MessageStop.net) and buy a lil prog that keeps spammers from usin a security hole in windows messenger 2 spam you with pop-ups.......
:o

Order MessageStop for a one-time fee of only $9.95 .  You'll get unlimited use and there are NO recurring fees.
I can't believe people charge for programs like this. :o You can disable the messenger in Windows without a program for free.