PDA

View Full Version : Internode connects its first customer to Fibre (NBN)

iLOVENZB
07-03-2010, 02:33 AM
http://gon.cdn.on.net/screenshots/a/2/441/2010-06-23/internode_article.jpgInternode connects its first customer to Fibre (NBN)
Fri Jul 2, 2010 11:33am

" Robert Pettman, an IT technician living in the suburb of Midway Point down in Tasmania, was the lucky first customer to be connected to the Network. He summed up his first impression with the most logical response : "It's awesome"

Mr Pettman, who applied for a 50Mb/s plan at the start of June, has noticed peak speeds of 80Mb/s, but has noted that the speed range has hovered consistently around the 50Mb/s level he ordered.

While he is embracing the benefit of a super high speed connection with instantly loaded high resolution images and a seamless remote desktop-via-internet interaction, Mr Pettman is most looking forward to the benefit in the future.

"I'm really interested in what will happen with IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) services. I have a media centre that records free to air TV, so I'm quite excited to see what will happen in that space. Also, I'm planning to buy a home theatre system with an Internet connectivity setting, so I can watch YouTube movies on TV"

The fibre connection provided by the NBN will not only dramatically increase the speed of your connection, but should prove easier on the wallet with Internode's entry-level fibre price $10 less than its cheapest standalone ADSL broadband plans.

Internode is one of three retail service providers selected to deliver broadband services over the testbed fibre-optic network that NBN Tasmania is building.

------

I should point out that plans still aren't unlimited. 109.95$AUD for 200GB on 25/2 Mbps (Entry line (http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/fibre_to_the_home/nbn_trial/)). I guess it's only time now? Still trying to find the $10 plan and see what the monthly quota is.

For all those who don't know, Internode and iiNet are probably the two only reasonable ISP's in Australia.

Good on Internode!!!! "

:source: Source: Internode connects its first customer to the National Broadband Network (http://games.on.net/article/9501/Internode_connects_its_first_customer_to_the_National_Broadband_Net)

TONiC
07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Woah +1 to the Ozzies I guess - definitely a step forward, but I think in the wrong direction.

Aus and NZ telecoms infrastructure is below par. You seem to have the worst data caps and prices, it makes me wonder how much these ISPs are overselling their bandwidth to meet demand. Investing in the latest technology is always a good thing, but the overall available bandwidth will still remain poor, no? So I don't really see how this is going to aid the situation... surely a few international terabit/s cables to JP/KR or US/CA would have been the more appropriate investment, which would then justify FTTH.

brilman
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
not to the U.S. we screw up enough things

josh87
07-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Woah +1 to the Ozzies I guess - definitely a step forward, but I think in the wrong direction.

Aus and NZ telecoms infrastructure is below par. You seem to have the worst data caps and prices, it makes me wonder how much these ISPs are overselling their bandwidth to meet demand. Investing in the latest technology is always a good thing, but the overall available bandwidth will still remain poor, no? So I don't really see how this is going to aid the situation... surely a few international terabit/s cables to JP/KR or US/CA would have been the more appropriate investment, which would then justify FTTH.

the reason the government is making this is because all the lines in aus are owned privately by telstra, so they charge high prices to all the isps to rent the lines which then makes them have to have the bad data caps and prices. so the reason they made it is so they can get rid of telstra basically, which will lower the prices for all, the gov knows our net is bad due to telstra hence why they made this

reknaw
07-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Internode also gives it's customers free, full access to Astraweb. <3 'Node.

TONiC
07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Telstra is an Australian telecommunications and media company, formerly owned by the Australian government and privatised in stages from the late 1990s.

Most other western countries face the same problem - a once nationalised entity is privatised, and given it's old assets (created using public taxes ofcourse), the telephone cables.

SawyerX
07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
thats actually crappy. The speeds may be goog if you are on DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem standard but not for fiber.

I have 20/20Mbit for 26€ on fiber and I can call out more pppoe sessions on the same modem to get to up to 100/100Mbit total for no additional cost and no caps.

iLOVENZB
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Internode also gives it's customers free, full access to Astraweb. <3 'Node.

Amongst other things. Also note it's not unmetered, you use your monthly cap for quota, but you can still download from it when you;re shapped ;).

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/entertainment/unmetered_content/

End-M-Mick
07-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Another Internode appreciation thread, ffs when are people gonna realise they are just like all the other multi nationals out to screw you. Internode talk big , promise you everything but deliver nothing . Having said that, i am actually with them, only because i'm a lazy ass and have'nt bothered to change, mind you what to ? Optus ? i don't think so . Anyway this FTTH deal is taking so long i'll be dead before i get it, Tasmania, pfft. And as far as the Government taking control, well that actually worries me more , they have censorship (filtering) plans in mind, and that can't be good. No, we are doomed to have totally crap interwebz for the foreseeable future, which makes me a sadpanda or koala or ........

iLOVENZB
07-17-2010, 02:40 PM
End-M-Mick: Do you have any idea how long the planning process and finalization of converting from copper to fibre is? Usually when Internode promises something they deliver it.