PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Actualy Use Socks 5 Proxys

junkyardking
11-02-2003, 11:38 AM
I am interested to know, i post my fair share of proxy lists and i'm just wondering if it worth it or not continuing to do so. :)

junkyardking
11-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Now i've got the poll( thanks [B][O][T] ), do you use socks5?
i personally dont use kazaa that much so i dont worry about socks 5 proxys but i test lists and post them just to help out those who need them.

junkyardking
11-02-2003, 12:09 PM
For anybody who doesnt know what they are can check out REALITY's post here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=62694)
basicly they are sercurity added to kazaa were the program uses a proxy address to upload and download from, this means if someone like the riaa downloads from you they only see the proxys ip and not your own, the proxys that i list are usally in non-english speaking countrys or countrys who dont give too hoots about copyright so it's unlikey they can even get in contact with the admins nevermind in the same language.

$nax
11-02-2003, 05:05 PM
I dont often use them, mainly because i on a 56k as it is an using socks proxys just slows me down even further, Plus the fact that they it is very hard to find reliable ones that work for kazaa. I thankyou for posting the ones so far, im sure they are exceptionally helpfull to those who use kazaalite lots.

junkyardking
11-03-2003, 02:52 AM
I'm not sure it's really worth it anymore looking at the response to this poll , oh well ;)

Might as well give the poll a little longer.

vivitron 15
11-03-2003, 06:51 AM
dont use Kazaa all that much anymore, but when i do, i dont bother.

RealitY
11-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Well I do from time to time when using KL++, although I have had the same concerns about posting them as well, however I have had quite a few PM from people who do. I would think a post a week is plenty unless there are riots for more than that...

I think I'll add a link here from the pinned post...

Sparkle1984
11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't use them, because I think they might slow down my speed.

Mad Cat
11-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@3 November 2003 - 16:59
I don't use them, because I think they might slow down my speed.
Same here.

internet.news
11-05-2003, 09:54 PM
proxies? are these servers I can use kazaa over them ? so noone

can detect me so easily?

DesertEagle
11-06-2003, 05:18 AM
Junkyardking,
I've been using proxies since I learned about them some posts on this message board, and I really really appreciate that people like you are taking the time to share this info, it seriously means a lot to me and there is no way I would figure it out on my own. Recently, though, the proxy server I was using stopped working. I'm hoping this is a result of the proxy shutting down and doesn't have anything to do with the school I go to blocking my access again some other way. I was wondering where you post these lists of working servers and to let you know that what you're doing is important to me. And while you may not be getting tons of replies in this post, friends of mine are now using proxy servers because I showed them how, so the fruits of your efforts are probably greater than it seems. Thanks again. Peace

DesertEagle
11-06-2003, 05:20 AM
And what is the difference between a proxy server and a Socks 5 proxy server?

RealitY
11-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by internet.news@5 November 2003 - 13:54
proxies? are these servers I can use kazaa over them ? so noone can detect me so easily?
Once Again Read http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST...t=0#entry456457 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=48&t=62694&st=0#entry456457)

@DesertEagle, also read the above link

It took a few of us to pull together in putting together that pinned post, including Myself, Mr. Blunt and junkyardking helping keep it up to date. I researched that topic on and off for a few months.

I guess junkyardking just wanted to be sure that his efforts are worthwhile. Though I have already stated that I know they are worth while just from the PM that I have gotten from other members regading this topic...

DesertEagle
11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
That was the post I read in the first place. Either way, my response was to junkyardking. I didn't know how this came about and now that you're telling me you were involved Im very grateful to you too if thats what you want to hear, but junkyardking is the one who was wondering if it was worth it to him, so I was responding to him. I have not gone through all these forums and taken notes on what you have previously said and I dont want to sound selfish but I dont really care unless it has something to do with my or any one elses' questions.

RealitY
11-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DesertEagle+6 November 2003 - 11:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DesertEagle &#064; 6 November 2003 - 11:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> That was the post I read in the first place. Either way, my response was to junkyardking. I didn&#39;t know how this came about and now that you&#39;re telling me you were involved Im very grateful to you too if thats what you want to hear, but junkyardking is the one who was wondering if it was worth it to him, so I was responding to him. I have not gone through all these forums and taken notes on what you have previously said and I dont want to sound selfish but I dont really care unless it has something to do with my or any one elses&#39; questions. [/b]
Excuse me then, you said...
<!--QuoteBegin-DesertEagle
I was wondering where you post these lists[/quote]
Which I responded...

Once Again Read http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST...t=0#entry456457
My appoligizes for adding a little backround, I was just glad that someone had stated they appreciated the effort that junkyardking had put into updating that post so that he does not feel he is wating his time, which in case your still not clear IS where he posts those lists. Read through IT all the way. Truthfully I think the attitude in your post is uncalled for...

DesertEagle
11-06-2003, 10:57 PM
I have read through that message board all the way and that is where I have been getting my proxy info from. I did not notice that you were the author of practically all of the useful information before. About my question, I was under the impression that there was another list somewhere and thats what I was asking about; thank you for clearing that up. I did not mean to imply that you should have known that I had read through that message board already.

About my attitude (I&#39;m putting this here rather than returning your PM so as to clear this up for anyone else feeling the same way you do):

It appeared to me that junkyardking had asked this question about whether or not it was worthwhile to him to continue doing this, and that you had jumped into the exchange to share the link, which Im sure was helpful to others, and then to announce how much a role you played in this whole thing, which doesn&#39;t exactly clear any questions up for anyone, as well as announcing that none of us had to convince you that it was worthwhile to continue the good and generous work you do when it was junkyardking who was unsure of how worthwhile it was. I don&#39;t want to be rude and again, I want to stress how grateful I am "that people like you" (what I said in my original post thanking junkyardking, knowing others deserved credit as well, hint hint) have worked to figure all this out. If this didn&#39;t mean anything to me, I would not have taken this little mix-up as seriously as I have. I hope everything is clear now. Thanks and peace.

junkyardking
11-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by internet.news@5 November 2003 - 21:54
proxies? are these servers I can use kazaa over them ? so noone

can detect me so easily?
Yep but it will probaly slow your speed.

The only thing i&#39;ve provided to REALITY&#39;s proxy post was some proxy lists nothing more, i was just wondering if it was worth it providing these lists.

I could post the links to where i got them but i dont because of trolls.

I also had to remove a Saudi Arabia proxy because it was a suspected honeypot thanks nikita69.

But anyway i might post lists in the future B)

RealitY
11-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by DesertEagle@6 November 2003 - 14:57
If this didn&#39;t mean anything to me, I would not have taken this little mix-up as seriously as I have. I hope everything is clear now. Thanks and peace.
Fair Enough...

Enjoy The Board
:) :)

Fatal Error
12-25-2003, 09:34 PM
FWIW.. You can download a freeware program called AccessDiver (http://www.acessdiver.com/dl.htm) that will quickly test HTTP, HTTPS or Socks4,4a,or5 proxies.. this program also has the ability to eliminate dangerous,duplicate, timed out, non-functioning or non-anonymous proxies and has other very useful features as well.

In the case of Socks5 proxies (which I only use on k-lite) I usuallly go to Free Proxy Filter-Lite (http://www.checker.freeproxy.ru/) at this site you can usually find some working Socks5 proxies on their free proxy list.. good Socks5 proxies are hard to find unless you subscribe (pay) for them. This is where AccessDiver comes into play. I simply copy the proxies into my browser, open AccessDiver click on the Socks Analyzer tab, click the "dagger" Icon and paste them..then right click for the tool menu, "select all" then click the Start botton.. walla it tells you which are good or bad.. select one of your choice and enter it for as the proxy server for k-lite. (k-lite options> firewall tab)

NOTE: If the Proxy stops working.. your search botton will dim out and you will get the "connecting" message until you disable the proxy or enter a new one... I will NOT use K-Lite without using a Socks5 proxy..in my opinion, to do so, would be taking a very unnecessary risk.

In the case of ANONYMOUS HTTP or HTTPS proxies (used for surfing/browsing)
1) go to the proxy list server of your choice such as StayInvisible.com (http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl)
2) If you need to make a LIST or have to test a LIST of proxies .. you can save yourself ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT if you COPY the the proxy of your choice and PASTE it into WORDPAD or NOTEPAD.. when you have the desired list simply COPY it..open AccessDiver, click on the proxy analyzer tab, click the "dagger" Icon, paste the list, right click and "select all" from the menu and hit the START button.. you can select additional features from the menu..delete dangerous, delete non- anonymous etc.. what you&#39;re left with is a nice working, completly tested list.
3) CONFIGURE your proxy into your IE or Netscape browser.
4) TEST your proxy and configuration to MAKE SURE ITS WORKING CORRECTLY.. to do this GO HERE (http://www.cotse.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi) or GO HERE (http://www.myipis.com/yourip.asp)
5) IF you see YOUR REAL IP ADDRESS in either of these places.. you configured it wrong.

NOTE: IF your proxy stops working.. or you cant access certain programs (cannot find server) you will have to disable or replace the proxy in your IE/Netscape browser configuration.

This all may sound very complicated to some of you but once you get the hang of it these tasks can be carried out in a matter of minutes. I recommend shortcutting these programs to your desktop for fast and easy access.

Hope this helps someone. Merry Christmas all. :ph34r:

EDIT: Link Correction

Switeck
12-31-2003, 10:19 PM
RIAA/MPAA/BSA runs some of the Socks 5 Proxys in the USA.

Using THEM is worse than no proxy at all&#33;

exeus
01-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@1 January 2004 - 09:19
RIAA/MPAA/BSA runs some of the Socks 5 Proxys in the USA.

Using THEM is worse than no proxy at all&#33;
Correct you are best to use Proxys from countrys that dont get along with the USA to well like China for eg

james_bond_rulez
01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
anonx.......

Fatal Error
01-01-2004, 09:46 PM
I agree that useing non-US based proxys is the way to go, to add an additional layer of difficulty in the "evil empires" efforts to identify you. (I never use them) however, I know of NO proxy analyzer or checker that will detect a "honeypot".. there is just no way that you can really know who&#39;s sitting at the end of any proxy. All you can do is take all the available precautions in an effort to minimize your risk.. there is always a risk, no matter how careful you are, and hope that you dont get caught.

Personally, I think I&#39;d rather take a chance with a proxy that I checked than without any protection at all. Nothing is guaranteed..