PDA

View Full Version : Fewer Binaries on Usenet or is it just my ISP?

pittguy578
07-05-2010, 05:38 AM
I have noticed fewer overall binaries in some usenet groups and/or a lot of stuff I don't really want-i.e. music.

May sound like a dumb question, but is it the ISP or are there just fewer binaries in general on Usenet? My current ISP is Windstream.
If I used another usenet service, would the number of binaries increase? Just wondering.

Beck38
07-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I have noticed fewer overall binaries in some usenet groups and/or a lot of stuff I don't really want-i.e. music.

There are several sites that track general amounts of traffic, and they all agree with just what I've seen in the last few months (and commented on both here and elsewhere), that the overall amount of SD/Standard Definition DVD postings and taken a pretty severe nosedive. On some newsgroups, it's almost come to a screeching halt.

But on the contrary, the HD/High Definition newsgroups, like a.b.blu-ray, have exploded. Part of it is that perhaps unlike the SD groups, of which there are (for movies at least) some half-dozen well-trafficed groups that have been in existence for many years, HD content is pretty much on two major groups, a.b.blu-ray and a.b.hdtv.x264. There are others, but they don't hold a candle to those two.

There's so much there, it's almost impossible to go 'old school' and d/l headers on either of them, and hope to keep up. Only if one has decent filtering on one's reader, like for nfo's and nzb's, does it become semi-usable.