PDA

View Full Version : IP Blocker for Seedbox?

ridgeberry
07-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I am planning to get seedbox and I was wondering if you need an IP blocker like Peer Guardian for a seedbox, or does the provider take care of that.

TONiC
07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
It's not needed.

(PG2 et al only provide a false sense of cover)

ridgeberry
07-08-2010, 01:44 AM
It's not needed.

It maybe so, but I do see several instances of MPAA or related sites listed on the log file as being blocked. Is PG2 faking it or is it doing something useful?

karachidude
07-08-2010, 06:35 AM
wrong section :)

BABBY
07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
It's not needed.

It maybe so, but I do see several instances of MPAA or related sites listed on the log file as being blocked. Is PG2 faking it or is it doing something useful?

they are ips of advertising sites, but not mandatory to use peer blocker softwares, by blocking such ip, i have never found any appreciable difference.

regards

anon
07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

There are many IP ranges in use by different anti-P2P companies and the like. PG knows a lot of those, and is indeed blocking them. Note that while it's definitely much better than going "naked", specially in public torrents, this system isn't flawless.

ridgeberry
07-09-2010, 04:40 AM
wrong section :)

Sorry, wasn't allowed to start a new thread in the seedbox section.

Thanks for the info. I got a notice once from my ISP to "cease and desist", and I have always used PG since then.