PDA

View Full Version : De-duplicate my picture collection

lightshow
07-09-2010, 02:01 AM
So I want to make a backup of my picture collection.

How can I make it so when I want to make a backup of a folder to my backup drive (with many subfolders) that it only backups file that havn't ever been copied to that drive?

Is there a program that will only copy a file if its MD5 or some other check is unique to the destination area?

zomerozs
07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
why don't u burn them to dvd !

josh87
07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
i use this whenever making backups to my external drive, was amazed at how quick it was at checking files, it can even replicate file deletions if you choose too, definitely worth having a look at, GL

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

lightshow
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
That is a useful program josh, but it doesn't include any duplication functionality.

I wonder if there is something out there that will find a dup based on its hash or filesize or something..

Expeto
12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
windows: adobe elements does what you want, but its bit and overkill for your task

linux : gthumb or GQview both get the job done , a more guru way is using some piped md5 or sha1 magic or "diff -s"

a universal solution will be search *.jpg and look for the same sized files

Appzalien
01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
If you decide to store your files with a compression algorithm like WinRar, don't use the "normal" compression as you will lose a little quality during the compress. Use the "store" selection instead and the files will be rared as is. You will not save any room, as a matter of fact you will lose a little if you choose to put a recovery record (I recommend it). But, its a great solution if you want to pass protect some files from prying eyes or ftp thieves.

anon
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
If you decide to store your files with a compression algorithm like WinRar, don't use the "normal" compression as you will lose a little quality during the compress. Use the "store" selection instead and the files will be rared as is.

That tip applies to any kind of file that's already compressed, for example the already mentioned JPEG images and MP3 audio. Many people don't know that and just RAR them up, with no real filesize reduction, but a waste of processing power.