PDA

View Full Version : Laptop-pc Network

browser
11-02-2003, 05:34 PM
I just bought a laptop which said it was LAN and Infrared ready or something like that. I am already sharing broadband over to desktops using a crossover cable. Can I also add internet to this laptop via infrared or parallel port or sumthing like that?

chinook_apache
11-02-2003, 05:51 PM
get a router man. or use internet sharing

browser
11-02-2003, 05:54 PM
for internet sharing, don't i need a cable connecting it.

Virtualbody1234
11-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Even better, get a wireless router.

http://www.linksys.com/products/imagelib2/befw11s4_v4.jpg

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=35

And a wireless network card:

http://www.linksys.com/products/imagelib2/wpc11_v4.jpg

That way you can use your laptop anywhere in your home and still have access to highspeed internet and your LAN.

chinook_apache
11-02-2003, 06:10 PM
he he my powerbook is wireless

browser
11-02-2003, 06:10 PM
i'm trying to get a cheaper option. On the laptop it gives an option to connect via a direct parallel port or infrared. But i don't know wot to put on my PC

Nexus UK
11-02-2003, 07:05 PM
If it is LAN ready it means you have got a network card built into the laptop.

so you need to get a network cable(ethernet crossover cat5) the price depends on the length.

then you just connect it up via a host/server machine via a router or network switch

if you already share to other PC's then you can get a network switch and insert it into the network.

it sounds like you did not set up your broadband sharing though or you would have known about the LAN ready issue so you will need some advice and set up instructions

start here it should have the laptop on network soon

Microsoft Home Network Set Up XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936)

browser
11-02-2003, 08:54 PM
i have 2 PC's connected via croosover cable, so i don't have another space for another crossover into my server, but i found out that i can connect via a parallel connection, so i will do that.

SciManAl
11-02-2003, 09:08 PM
that seems ofly complicated good luck too ya!!!
i would normally not go to that level of hassel, and just get etherenet hooked up...

I.am
11-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by browser@2 November 2003 - 15:54
i have 2 PC's connected via croosover cable, so i don't have another space for another crossover into my server, but i found out that i can connect via a parallel connection, so i will do that.
Another cheap option (not preferred) would be to get a switch. Those are really cheap these days sometimes free over the internet and sometimes around 4-5$.

Then you can have a crossover running into it and then all RJ45 wires running out to your desktops and laptop. Although it doesnt have a firewall normally but that can do it.

Thing with parallel port is that it is expensive to get a long wire and if you any other thing attached like a printer then you would have to take it off.

Your best option would still be going for a switch (if want cheap) or a router. Even a router 5 port is around 15-20$ if you do research, so you might want to look into it for future.

browser
11-02-2003, 09:42 PM
15-20? it's much more in the UK i think..., but the switch is a good idea, thx.

Livy
11-03-2003, 12:35 AM
the easyest option is a router, prob about £40 in the uk, but its alot less hassle, and any computer can acces the internet without having to put another computer on

I.am
11-03-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Livy@2 November 2003 - 19:35
the easyest option is a router, prob about £40 in the uk, but its alot less hassle, and any computer can acces the internet without having to put another computer on
switch does the same thing but it doesnt have a firewall. So if one is conscious about security get a router however a cheaper option would still be a switch.

Livy
11-03-2003, 12:44 PM
but wouldnt each pc need an i.p for a switch?

browser
11-03-2003, 02:42 PM
probably, but i can easily do that

Livy
11-03-2003, 08:06 PM
i didnt mean local ips, i meant wouldnt each pc need an actual ip accesabile formt he net?

I.am
11-04-2003, 12:20 AM
@Livy, It will assign local ip's just like a router. The only difference between a switch and router afaik is that a router has an inbuilt firewall which switch doesnt.

Livy
11-04-2003, 12:33 AM
so u will be able to plug the modem and the however ammount of computers it can take. and each will be able to acces the internet.

i didnt realise a switch could do this.
the switch will only assign the i.p to each computer if there is a dchp server, otherwise the connection will need to be setup manually.

as he router having a firewall, its not really a firewall, its just the way that nat works

edit: woo hoo 2000th post