PDA

View Full Version : Blocknews new lower prices!

hdjunky
07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
topping off my blocknews account today and see they have lowered the prices more! :w00t: what was a good deal for light to moderate usenet users is now a great deal. Plus they seem to be a bit more complete than the other big companies. Rock on!

winmac
07-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been with them since last year. I apply for 200GB because I didn't use it very much (only for certain materials). And yeah, it's very worth and also unlimited time of block account. The cheapest block account I believed.

zot
07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
What happened was first Usenet-News lowered their prices (the first time in over a year) then the next day Blocknews matched them dollar-for-dollar on every block size.

Skiz
07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Plus they seem to be a bit more complete than the other big companies.

What does that mean? :unsure:

c0ld
07-14-2010, 08:19 PM

complete=completion?
more=better?
:unsure:
eta;
be a bit=have?
:wacko:

hdjunky
07-15-2010, 12:26 AM
What happened was first Usenet-News lowered their prices (the first time in over a year) then the next day Blocknews matched them dollar-for-dollar on every block size.

I think it has been longer than that for usenet news as there prices were the same like 2 years ago i thought cause i used to use them. They prolly started feeling the heat of blocknews only to be shown up again since they also made the number of connections the same as blocknews too. I love competition. I would have liked to been a fly on the wall in there office when they got the news of blocknews new prices! :D

Even though blocknews is a tad cheaper they have almost 100 more days of retention over usenet news too.

Blocknews has been filling in the gaps a lot for Giganews and Highwinds. Stuff that doesnt even exist anymore for whatever reason can be grabbed from blocknews. The forums on nzb matrix have discussions on it every now and then.

Skiz
07-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Blocknews has been filling in the gaps a lot for Giganews and Highwinds. Stuff that doesnt even exist anymore for whatever reason can be grabbed from blocknews. The forums on nzb matrix have discussions on it every now and then.

Giganews has gaps? I've never had such a reliable service in all my Usenet years. They're downright flawless in the 4+/- years I've used them. :)

zot
07-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Giganews has gaps? I've never had such a reliable service in all my Usenet years. They're downright flawless in the 4+/- years I've used them. :)
This was discussed earlier that Giganews is often missing articles that other providers have.

... downloading Newzbin Report #5670754 from Giganews with Blocknews filling in 11 MB. ... Giganews was missing 11 MB because their DMCA takedown team removed 11 MB. Otherwise it would have been complete. I think Giganews follows the DMCA notices to the letter and removes all article message-ID's listed in the notice.

Other people have said that Giganews seems to get hit hardest by DMCA takedowns, with Highwinds coming in second. (It's been reported that many Dutch usenet providers are hardly ever missing anything due to DMCAs)

cola
07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Are there any dutch usenet providers that offer block accounts?

zot
07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Are there any dutch usenet providers that offer block accounts?
Many Dutch/European providers offer block accounts, but prices on most tend to be high and few offer smaller block sizes.

www.gebruikhet.net would be at the top of my list for Dutch block accounts . I've not personally used them (yet), but they've been around for several years, and they sell small blocks and have the best prices I've yet seen for a European provider. Gebruikhet.net is a reseller of XSnews.nl, which also sells non-expiring block accounts, but Gebruikhet is half the price of block accounts sold directly through the XSnews website.

Gebruikhet.net (owned by Bullcat.nl) takes Paypal but not credit card. I plan to add them to my collection of block accounts.

Skiz
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
This was discussed earlier that Giganews is often missing articles that other providers have.

... downloading Newzbin Report #5670754 from Giganews with Blocknews filling in 11 MB. ... Giganews was missing 11 MB because their DMCA takedown team removed 11 MB. Otherwise it would have been complete. I think Giganews follows the DMCA notices to the letter and removes all article message-ID's listed in the notice.

That's nonsense. Giganews removed 11MB of something due a DMCA report?

Other people have said that Giganews seems to get hit hardest by DMCA takedowns, with Highwinds coming in second. (It's been reported that many Dutch usenet providers are hardly ever missing anything due to DMCAs)

"Other people said..." isn't a reliable statistical source. :dabs:

"Other people" in that thread also stated "The best are Ginaews, Astraweb and Highwinds..." contradicting the other, other people. (:wacko:) But with nothing to back it up I dismiss it as opinion.

I've used Giganews for several years and as stated before, and have no problems with completion.