PDA

View Full Version : safe to use newzbin 2?

noodles
07-12-2010, 10:27 PM
i am using SSL, i just wanted to know if anybody here sees a risk in going back to newzbin. many thanks

zot
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
The only potentially unsafe thing I see might be in giving your credit card number, etc, to a group of hackers who broke into Newzbin and stole the site's code. That's assuming you actually believe the "official" story ... rather than seeing it as just smoke and mirrors. ;)

noodles
07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
good point. well i have a couple of months credit left, so i'll use that til it runs out

Beck38
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I have just shy of a year of 'credit' left myself; but I would second the cc potential probs, unless your card company can issue 'temporary' numbers (some like American Express do so for anyone doing 'business' on the internet), or using a temp card (loadable) from one of the companies doing that.

Or, if they really get their act together, using paypal. Of course, this also assumes Paypal has their act together as well (!).

Like I said, luckily it will be a long time (next year) before I may need to avail myself, but I'll keep an eye on things to see how folks do.

simate
07-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I only discovered it was back up today! Anyway........

http://www.unitethecows.com/content/220-newzbin-two-interview-team-r-dogs.html

Last week we told you how a hacker group named Team R Dogs claimed it hacked the Newzbin site before and obtained the source code and databases. Now Deepsharer, an ex Newzbin editor has published an interview (http://deepsharer.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/interview-with-team-r-dogs/)with "Mr. White" of Team R Dogs.

The short interview was carried out on IRC and suggests that when the site is brought back, they hope will be around for a long time.

In terms of a time scale, Mr White said Newszbin will return "sooner than you think". The site design is expected to be a clone of the original Newzbin with a redesign planned a few months down the line. They also want to extend the current retention to 400 days, then to 600+ days after around 9 months.

The blog continues to say that the site's backend is extremely complicated and the team under estimated massively how resource heavy the site would be. It also states that the team have heavily invested in the project and expect to invest further.

In the comments of the Deepshare blog, Mr.White said"I have personally signed cheques for an $22,000 Sun server and 2 x $9,000 Sun servers to help run this site and I expect to sign more. I have hired a fulltime coder on good salary, I am recruiting another expensive geek to keep the site up. If you think a ‘free’ system can compete then go for it. You may be right, but in the meantime I hope to provide a site useful to ex-Newzbin1 people. I may get financially screwed, it’s a risk I am OK with taking."

So the new site will not be free and will use a 3rd party payment method, but it will allow ex members of Newzbin 1 with credit on their accounts to continue to use that up.

When tackled about the MPA situation Mr White was dismissive "we’ll just do a Piratebay on them. We can run faster than them and shapeshift."