PDA

View Full Version : Hd Is Not Detected

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Alright heres the problem, i tried to format my girlfriends comp.. and so i changed the boot sequence to cd rom and put the XP cd in there, now here is where its wierd.. it says it couldnt detect a hard drive.. but how can it not detect a hard drive when a copy of XP is already installed on it and it works? ... this is very.. frustrating.. any solutions?

Broken
11-03-2003, 12:22 AM
i don't understand.... xp is up and running and windows is telling you that there is no hd?

callum
11-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@3 November 2003 - 00:20
Alright heres the problem, i tried to format my girlfriends comp.. and so i changed the boot sequence to cd rom and put the XP cd in there, now here is where its wierd.. it says it couldnt detect a hard drive.. but how can it not detect a hard drive when a copy of XP is already installed on it and it works? ... this is very.. frustrating.. any solutions?
Try resetting the bios settings to default.

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 01:44 AM
No no no, i wanted to help her format her computer and install a fresh new copy of xp.. but the problem is that when i boot from the xp disc, it says that there are no hds detected.. but if i dont boot from the cd it goes straight to the current installed XP which IS on the hard drive that the boost disc says it cant detect

InverseKinetix
11-03-2003, 01:47 AM
If its anything like win2k. Install XP from windows. Run the disk in windows and choose fresh install and it should give you the option to format whilst doing it.

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Well i downloaded the XP corp with SP 1.. you think it has that "feature" in it? i didnt see that option there... O.o

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 02:49 AM
bump

InverseKinetix
11-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@3 November 2003 - 11:07
Well i downloaded the XP corp with SP 1.. you think it has that "feature" in it? i didnt see that option there... O.o
I would imaging so. Omoshiroi namae. Doko ni sunderu?

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 02:59 AM
"sunderu" ano waado nani? =)

Virtualbody1234
11-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Is the drive connected through some sort of older ATA66 IDE controller or RAID controller? Perhaps you need to load drivers for the installation to detect the drive. Watch the blue screen right after the CD boots, you will see a message that says press (some key - I don't remember which key) to load those type of drivers. You most likely need the drivers on a diskette.

I hope this helps.

Broken
11-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Since this is a downloaded OS program do you think the files just might have been corrupted and that is the cause of your problems.

InverseKinetix
11-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@3 November 2003 - 11:59
"sunderu" ano waado nani? =)
did i make a mmistake. where do you live, japan?

Evil Gemini
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Check that when you make the 1st boot cd rom, that you make the hdd 2nd boot. I once accidently forgot to make the hdd 2nd boot and only had cd rom boot and hdd disabled :lol:

Nogimics
11-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@3 November 2003 - 03:23
Is the drive connected through some sort of older ATA66 IDE controller or RAID controller? Perhaps you need to load drivers for the installation to detect the drive. Watch the blue screen right after the CD boots, you will see a message that says press (some key - I don't remember which key) to load those type of drivers. You most likely need the drivers on a diskette.

I hope this helps.
Could very well be your problem mate. Also if you upgraded to XP you would'nt have come across this before.

There are so many possibilities you need to start ruling out some of them to us that you have tried so you can narrow down the problem. Also What is the exact Error message and Error Message Code. This will point you in right direction and also try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...5&Product=winxp (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327805&Product=winxp)

Cus it does sound like Virtualbody1234 could be right.

Shiranai_Baka
11-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Well i would say her mobo is pretty old, and i think its ATA100.. but i dont think its that.. i think neattairoski has the solution... coz i dont remember having HD as second boot...