PDA

View Full Version : Legal Bittorrent - Jobs for Pirates?

Polarbear
07-17-2010, 05:18 AM
More and more companies like Facebook and Twitter use Bittorrent. They can transfer their date much cheaper and faster with the filesharing protocoll. See the latest TF article: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-makes-twitters-server-deployment-75-faster-100716/

Many major companies just explore what pirates have done for years. They realised that Bittorrent is the most efficient way to spread large amount of data. They need people sooner or later who have coding experience in that field.

On the other side we have many excellent coders in the illegal bittorrent world who've done it for years, know a lot about the protocol but didn't earn much with it. Problem is, coding an illegal tracker isn't exactly what you apply with at a company.

Maybe there will be opportunities to actually earn money with bittorrent knowledge in the near future.

A
07-17-2010, 06:45 AM
I dont know,it may be my ignorance but the coders of Trackers only know the same programming knowledge as other coders around.Maybe an exception would be the expertise with different software used (Gazelle,TBDev etc ...) which I dont think will be needed when using the Bittorrent protocol.

lothlorien
07-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Well, the Bittorent protocol is documented. These companies have large pools of engineers ready to work on this and build something almost flawless even if it has to be from scratch. Hell, some of these engineers might even be the very people who have coded Bittorent in the shadow over the years :P

ca_aok
07-19-2010, 01:07 AM
The problem is you can't exactly put "I was the coder for an illegal piracy site" on your resume. So unless they have other relevant experience it's hard to get your foot in the door, even if you're very experienced with PHP/MySQL (frontend) and C (xbtt).

Quarterquack
07-19-2010, 06:34 AM
True and false at the same time. I know of quite a few BT source coders that do off-tracker website designs to add a healthy portfolio. They usually end up integrating some of their more hefty load-mitigating coding in just so they could put it on their resume either way.

Bittorrent is a better beginning for almost anyone, at least over making do with just your average rookie starting point running databases. :lol:

Halogen
07-19-2010, 06:48 AM
So just leave out the "illegal tracker" part in your resume then. The coding itself and the resulting software isn't illegal per se, just the actual usage... :whistling

t00z
07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
So just leave out the "illegal tracker" part in your resume then. The coding itself and the resulting software isn't illegal per se, just the actual usage... :whistling
"Could you please show us what tracker software you coded?" ehh.. no sorry I can't.

Also LOL @ "On the other side we have many excellent coders in the illegal bittorrent world who've done it for years, know a lot about the protocol but didn't earn much with it."
Over three quarters of them actually only know how to set up and edit a TBDev or Gazelle. And only a hand full are literally excellent coders who know a lot about the bittorrent protocol.