PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] waffles/what.cd good music tracker

captive
07-17-2010, 07:38 PM
looking to fill my new ipod up, so if anyone can help, cheers.

anon
07-17-2010, 07:40 PM
For What.cd, you can take the IRC interview.
http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/

captive
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM
yeah i have seen that, thing is i want to join a bittorrent tracker, i dont want a job there. hoops just aint my thing.

anon
07-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Just saying. The interview isn't that hard and it'd be getting invited through the right means, whereas giving What.cd invites on public forums is forbidden by their rules.

captive
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Just saying. The interview isn't that hard and it'd be getting invited through the right means, whereas giving What.cd invites on public forums is forbidden by their rules.

didnt know that :/

ca_aok
07-17-2010, 07:51 PM
If you can't be assed to learn a bit about the different music formats you'll be downloading, you can't really expect someone to want to give you a free pass around the interview....

Tbh the only real reason one would need an invite is if they're in a banned country, too dumb to memorize a few facts about music encoding, or are a trader/cheater looking for a second account since there's an IP blacklist for the invite channels.

It'll help you hit the ground running when you join the site, and possibly help you avoid a warning (this is especially true if you plan on uploading at some point). The biggest point you need to understand is the difference between lossless formats (FLAC primarily, they might ask you about more obscure ones like ALAC, etc) and lossy formats (MP3, Ogg, AAC). It's never okay to transcode lossy->lossy (aka convert MP3 to another bitrate of MP3, even if the target bitrate is lower), but it is okay to convert lossless->lossless and lossless->lossy.

Other than that, figure out that LAME is an MP3 codec and V0 through V8 are its arbitrarily set VBR quality levels, and figure out the difference between CBR and VBR. That's really all you need to know music wise, though the site anon linked to has a comprehensive list of everything they'll possibly ask you (technical questions anyway).

captive
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
If you can't be assed to learn a bit about the different music formats you'll be downloading, you can't really expect someone to want to give you a free pass around the interview....

Tbh the only real reason one would need an invite is if they're in a banned country, too dumb to memorize a few facts about music encoding, or are a trader/cheater looking for a second account since there's an IP blacklist for the invite channels.

sorry, alot simpler than that, i just dont care about the formats, how its ripped etc. i just like the music.

whats wrong with that?

also i dont intend uploading, my server will keep my account there in good order. i used to upload on oink, so i do know basics, i just dont give a toss.