PDA

View Full Version : Senile dementia and IPTorrent invites

Aristocles
07-17-2010, 11:35 PM
I see that I have invited someone called "xxxx" to IPT. I have no recollection of ever inviting anyone to any tracker of which I am a member.

Assuming it is not an example of senile dementia, does anyone know if the system somehow usurps an invite after a period and issues it to another member? (Yeah, that is grasping at straws. . . maybe I failed to read something.

Any ideas?

chrisbeebops
07-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Your account could have been hacked and the hackee sent out an invite.

Aristocles
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I guess so, but I wonder why they did not do anything else? Change passwords or some such thing. Download a bunch of stuff or send out the other invites? It seems absolutely nothing is different except the spent invite.

But I guess you are correct, it is about the only thing I can figure.

stoi
07-18-2010, 01:36 AM
why not do the sensible thing and send a staff message or go into their IRC support room and ask the staff who can look into it for you. insead of asking on FST where 99.9% of members wont have a bloody clue and just say what they "think" may have happened.

Aristocles
07-18-2010, 02:38 AM
why not do the sensible thing and send a staff message or go into their IRC support room and ask the staff who can look into it for you. insead of asking on FST where 99.9% of members wont have a bloody clue and just say what they "think" may have happened.

Let's see. Hmm, because I wanted to?

The part about 99% not have a 'bloody clue' is applicable in this case.

1) I wrote to a staff member prior to posting here. No reply. Probably busy. No worries.
2) I abhor IRC and NEVER under any circumstances use it.
3) I posted here because of the fact that there are numerous folks here who have helped with questions that I have had with such inane little issues. Thus, if I get a quick answer great, if not, who cares. . .

If "thinking" what might have happened, involves an informed opinion, then oftentimes I have gotten precisely that here. And as amazing as it might seem, they have regularly helped.

Do I expect to get the summum bonun of answers here? No. It was just a query, neither earth shattering nor epoch making in any way.

SawyerX
07-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Id suggest you contact the admins and request the invited user to get banned at last.

stoi
07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
r that is 100%1) I wrote to a staff member prior to posting here. No reply. Probably busy. No worries.
Which is why i said a staff message, IE: it sends it to a page where all staff can answer it, not just wait for 1 staff, if IPT even have that on their staff page, but guesing they will

2) I abhor IRC and NEVER under any circumstances use it.
Your Loss but you know what, its pretty bloody good for live support.

3) I posted here because of the fact that there are numerous folks here who have helped with questions that I have had with such inane little issues. Thus, if I get a quick answer great, if not, who cares. . .
More fool you

all i am saying is, the chances of getting an answer that is 100% correct from here, unless its from an IPT staffer, for this type of questions, are slim to nil, the only ppl that have a hope in hell of knowing are the staff of IPT, and even then, maybe only 1 or 2 of them. It may just be a mistake, and invite from someone else has ended up on your account, its happened before, and will probably happen again.

babab007
07-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Your account could have been hacked and the hackee sent out an invite.

meet my wife ^

McArty
07-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Senile dementia :naughty:

Aristocles
07-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Stoi:

I am not overly concerned, as I would think should be clear. I noted a single staffer online in a period of a few hours, I dropped him a pm. Do I figure on getting a satisfactory reply from him? No. Have I tried at other sites? Yes. How did it work out for me? Worthless. Perhaps just bad empirical experiences.

As for your "staff message" notion, I see no such alternative, although I do see clear suggestions as to whom to address different types of questions, too. Perhaps I am missing something on the site, perhaps, not. . .

I used to spend hours debating in "philosophy" rooms using IRC, many years ago, ~'96, I think. I learned then that it is, in one sense, a pasture for idiots and their acolytes. As time passed I read about the filth and degeneracy that seems to go on there, in certain areas. Does this apply to 'tracker support rooms'? I do not know but doubt that it does for the most part. My wife and I came to a decision to avoid such places. Have I lost anything? On balance, NO. My wife is glad I do not go there thus making family life much more pleasant. One makes certain dicta by which they operate in a given system. Do I possibly miss out on quick answers to tracker questions? Maybe, but MAYBE NOT, if the following you typed is correct: "the only ppl that have a hope in hell of knowing are the staff of IPT, and even then, maybe only 1 or 2 of them". Unless, of course those 1 or 2 have an IV drip of IRC coursing though them.

Simply put, I posted a question on the off chance that someone here might have had upon occasion a similar thing happen on IPT or even another site and might have an answer. Now I realize that according to you, the odds of this happening continue to approach ∞ even as I type. Well, maybe so, but it seems that it just might be that someone might have had a similar experience. If not, what has it cost me? Nothing. Thinking about the number of members on FST who also have an account on IPT and then reasoning from there that maybe one or two has had the same or a similar issue, I posted my question.

Finis.