PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 and GeForce video cards?

7th
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
This is a newbie question, I know :unsure:

but I have two video cards:
- GF9800gt and GF8600gt (phisyX).

How will this work config work in that motherboard (that was made to support crossfire)?

I'm afraid I'll be forced to run it only with my GF9800gt :mellow:

Snee
07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Doesn't matter if it only has cf-support. Running a dedicated physx-card only requires an extra pcie slot.

You really only get into trouble if you've actually got one or more ATi cards in the mix, and even then it's not impossible to get it to work.

I'm running two cards in cf next to a dedicated physx-card (with patched drivers, so it works alongside ATi cards).

7th
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
and finally someone answered to my thread hehe. Thanks Snee!

I don't really understand why these companies have taken this step when it was so much better when we could simply "play" with whatever we wanted. =/
Anyway, I'm happy to know it's more of a nomenclature thing and that I'll be able to keep my graphic cards, although I think I won't be able to run two nVidia cards in SLI (if I ever decide to go SLI)...

Snee
08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, SLi won't be an option with that.

Sometimes it's more of a firmware issue than anything else, and then a modded bios might let you run SLi on mobos that won't support it officially (afaik that's mostly with old intel chips), but it's really not worth the effort doing it that way, even when it's possible.

I understand the Crosshair Extreme comes with Hydra, but I don't think yours does. If it does and I'm wrong, that kind of works, although the Hydra-technology feels as if it's still in its beta stages.

jeffholland00
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
hi 7th. can i have one of your video card?

thanks