PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Platform War Thread

Vamp
11-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Ok... lets keep this a nice clean thread, don't insult other posters, if you disagree with them, do so in a conversing fashion. I've worked out the Pro's and Cons between each

PC: Pros

More game availibility
More solid atmosphere then consoles
Fun to upgrade
lots of options to tweak
Best for FPS's

Consoles: Pros

Most games that come out on PC come out on consoles
More portable
Easier to sit down and play without having to install
Just get a chip and you're open to thousands of different types of games
No system requirements
Games developed to make games play at optimum effiency
No worry about upgrades.
Can play on huge screen TVs
Keyboard and Mouse available

PC: Cons

Expensive
Clunky
Always have to upgrade
Have to install
Can get viruses
Have to get patches, updates etc
Needs to install games

Consoles: Cons

No options to tweak.
No resolution to change.
Controls take getting used to

Overall I think Consoles are betteR?

What do you think?

Monkeee
11-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@3 November 2003 - 14:45
More portable

PC's Got Laptops :rolleyes:

Just get a bigger monitor

Can get viruses
Get Norton From Kazaa

Needs to install games
i aint that lazy <_<

PC&#39;s Got The Best Stratedgy Games Who Doesen&#39;t Love Stratedgy Games&#33;
And more Multiplaying Games :-P

miffo
11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
sometimes u can use the gamepad from a platform (like ps2 and plug it i the usb)
if the game supports it

also u can play your pc at a tv or a bigscreen if u&#39;ve got a good tv-out link and so on

james_bond_rulez
11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
yeah i am a pc whore

what can u do about it? :lol:

Peerzy
11-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Ok... lets keep this a nice clean thread, don&#39;t insult other posters, if you disagree with them, do so in a conversing fashion. I&#39;ve worked out the Pro&#39;s and Cons between each

More game availibility
Fun to upgrade
lots of options to tweak
Best for FPS&#39;s

More portable
Just get a chip and you&#39;re open to thousands of different types of games
No system requirements
No worry about upgrades.

Expensive
Clunky
Always have to upgrade
Have to install
Can get viruses
Needs to install games

No options to tweak.
No resolution to change.

What do you think?
a MASSIVE pro for the pc is the constant avalability of MODs. i wod neva get max payne 2 for a consoul because on the pc i can get all the matrix, unltra slow-mo, kung fo 4 etc etc and the fact that chipping is dangerous where as wiv bittorent everygame ever made (with in reason) is ablable free)

starcraft was rly hard to play on the n64 but easy on the pc.

online play ok u cna do it now but its not as good and as many ppl and pc.

i mean GTA:VC is gd but with the added mod for mp its amazing and adds much more vllue to the game.

EDIT: and for god&#39;s sake £30 for a bloody memory card i mean wtf&#33;&#33;&#33;
and the memry card is like 8mb where al for £40 you could buy a 40gb hard drive.

2nd EDIT:mouse + keyboard is much better than control. AND just to add to all that pc versions all ways either gain more or hav better graphics ie max payne 2=mods, vice city=mp3 player and character changer and mods

PC&#39;s easly beat consoles

3RA1N1AC
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
you oughta be tied up & whipped for starting one of these threads. <_<

3RA1N1AC
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@3 November 2003 - 06:45

More game availibility
and "WTF?" there were like 8 pc games released this year, and only 3 of them were worth playing.

o_ICEMAN_o
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Monkeee+3 November 2003 - 16:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Monkeee &#064; 3 November 2003 - 16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vamp@3 November 2003 - 14:45
More portable

PC&#39;s Got Laptops :rolleyes:

Just get a bigger monitor

Can get viruses
Get Norton From Kazaa

Needs to install games
i aint that lazy <_<

PC&#39;s Got The Best Stratedgy Games Who Doesen&#39;t Love Stratedgy Games&#33;
And more Multiplaying Games :-P [/b][/quote]
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/stupid.gif

KoKaNe_II
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok... lets keep this a nice clean thread, don&#39;t insult other posters, if you disagree with them, do so in a conversing fashion. I&#39;ve worked out the Pro&#39;s and Cons between each

More game availibility
Fun to upgrade
lots of options to tweak
Best for FPS&#39;s

More portable
Just get a chip and you&#39;re open to thousands of different types of games
No system requirements
No worry about upgrades.

Expensive
Clunky
Always have to upgrade
Have to install
Can get viruses
Needs to install games

No options to tweak.
No resolution to change.

What do you think?

No options to tweak.

Why do you want to tweak them anyway? :o

No resolution to change.

True, some games let you make it widescreen..(vice city)

Ps2 controls are the best and easiest....alot easier then using the keyboard for every pc game that has different controls/keys.

Get a bigger screen

How big can u get a pc screen? without paying 3k?
I played gran turismo once on the living room tv, fucked the image up though.. :(

Vamp
11-03-2003, 06:21 PM
You cant get 80" Monitors like my TV&#33;

Octopussy
11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
um yes you can just hook your monitor to tv and bam&#33;

and besides in pc for example if you play multi player like in the game CHASER you can play up to 128 people online while in stupid consoles max is maybe 16 usualy is 8

Vamp
11-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Not with Xbox live... But I still prefer single player games to multiplayer...I like playing games for the story and gameplay, like an interactive movie. I still don&#39;t understand,

If games come out with the same framerate and graphics as a PC game on a console, why would people prefer pc&#39;s?

abu_has_the_power
11-03-2003, 09:30 PM
u need a pc no matter wat. if u get console, u need a pc to dl and burn dvds for xbox and ps2. i would just go with pc. lot more games, and easier to play and stuff. and u don&#39;t need a dvd burner and mod chip to play free games

Monkeee
11-03-2003, 09:57 PM
wait i always thought these were good. if console games have glitches you cant do SHIT.... but you can dl patches for PC :P .

Peerzy
11-03-2003, 11:53 PM
also in years to come there will be gd working emulators for ps2 and xbpx (about 1 year) so w8 1 year and on ye pc and then save £300 on games the memery cards and controls and what ever and get it all free.

abu_has_the_power
11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
PC rules all&#33;&#33;

DWk
11-04-2003, 12:00 AM
i think this is a pro...since you can upgrade maybe...a graphics engine and make the game better.... you can upgrade to new things....for example new weapons, models, textures, etc.

its a neverending world...

concerning the actual title... i dont say consoles SUCK.... but lets say that all consoles i had were NES and SNES, then I met the pc and fell in love... :)

DWk

abu_has_the_power
11-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by DWk+4 November 2003 - 00:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 4 November 2003 - 00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vamp@3 November 2003 - 14:45
i think this is a pro...since you can upgrade maybe...a graphics engine and make the game better.... you can upgrade to new things....for example new weapons, models, textures, etc.

its a neverending world...

concerning the actual title... i dont say consoles SUCK.... but lets say that all consoles i had were NES and SNES, then I met the pc and fell in love... :)

DWk [/b][/quote]
yep. same here. had snes, then my uncle bought me n64, and never had another console, except for gbc, but we&#39;re not talking bout that kind of gaming

Monkeee
11-04-2003, 12:26 AM
so i guesss CONSOLES SUCK DICK Compared to PC&#39;s so PC&#39;s OWN&#33;&#33;

Consoles still good but compared to PC&#39;s THEY SUCK DICK&#33;&#33;

abu_has_the_power
11-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Monkeee@4 November 2003 - 00:26
so i guesss CONSOLES SUCK DICK Compared to PC&#39;s so PC&#39;s OWN&#33;&#33;

Consoles still good but compared to PC&#39;s THEY SUCK DICK&#33;&#33;
true true, but in ur case, they suck monkey balls. lol

silent VI
11-04-2003, 12:56 AM
ill stick with my ps2 plays games better wont freeze wont bug out games cost like one dollar or however much a blank cd costs ps2 has the best game develpoers square rockstar activision its net ready the only downside i can see is no cool ass looking game mods ;) pc do kick ass i will admit but for games ps2 is the way to go

abu_has_the_power
11-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by DrunkeNStylE@4 November 2003 - 00:56
ill stick with my ps2 plays games better wont freeze wont bug out games cost like one dollar or however much a blank cd costs ps2 has the best game develpoers square rockstar activision its net ready the only downside i can see is no cool ass looking game mods ;) pc do kick ass i will admit but for games ps2 is the way to go
ps2 has good games, but not as many good games as pc. and pc games are much more free. u can dl them, and play them, without having to buy dvds and dvd burner for like &#036;100. quality is pretty much the same. and the bugs, well, if ur a pro, then u should have no probs

silent VI
11-04-2003, 01:17 AM
lol my comps a piece of shit (ithink) if i wanted to games pc id be way way way to expensive btw i got xbox to so tons of pc games are released for it i way prefer my ps2 though games cost me like a dollar a piece for my ps2 my xbox are 20 but thats fora brand new packaged game i got my ps2 for 20 bones and x box for 60 (canadian) so for me 80 dollares canadian for both systems games are cheap run better. but im mad into games yo if i had a top of the line supercomp id get down with pc gaming cause i love those cool skins and mods

note235
11-04-2003, 06:36 AM
I&#39;m with pc. They are expensive but then you could upgrade them but on the console like Xbox Ps Xbox2 and Ps2 came out and Psx.Thank You.

swarnel
11-04-2003, 06:53 AM
PC
so much more u can do with them,

Vamp
11-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Emulators for consoles defeat the purpose when using them on a PC... For one thing you need an absolute beast to run them, plus, it would cost less to just buy the console then to buy a PC that can handle them... Why not play games on something that is dedicated to playing games, and looks as good as PC?

You can download mods/patches for games for Xbox.

I use my PC to play the odd game, like Deus Ex, Alice, Max Payne 2 or something like that, Internet, DVD Rippng and video-ediitng and leave the consoles to the games, which is what they&#39;re meant for.

As someone once said, when a developer develops a game for a console, They know exactly what the console&#39;s hardware is so they don&#39;t have to think about whether the game would run badly for some systems then it would for others.

With a PC, they can only make a game with generic standards in mind because4 they don&#39;t know what system someone is going to be using.

Mad Cat
11-04-2003, 04:58 PM

Thats not a con, if anything thats a Pro.

Who here likes to play a buggy console game that cannot be fixed no matter how hard you try?

You can download mods/patches for games for Xbox.
Thats only just starting, and making working console mods requires more than just the console required to play it. Downloadable content is ok though.

This has been out on the PC for years though, and is much more widespread.

As someone once said, when a developer develops a game for a console, They know exactly what the console&#39;s hardware is so they don&#39;t have to think about whether the game would run badly for some systems then it would for others.
Worse graphics... You can upgrade a PC when you need to, if you need to. A PC that will play most games is not so expensive now, especially if you build your own.

Vamp
11-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Defiently not worse graphics&#33; I play my console on a 80" Flatron TV, the graphics for Halo and Splinter-Cell surpass their PC Counterparts.

The only things I don&#39;t like about consoles is controller sensitivty. When I play the odd game on PC I have the sens. on full. Luckily, some games allow you to adjust controller sensitivity, like Halo which is great because I play better with a controller then with a mouse and keyboard...

One (out of the hundred) things I love about consoles.

The fact that you CAN download mods and patches, I downloaded the new mission to Splinter Cell, Kola Cell... They might not be as readily available as PC mods, but I can see it happening in the future. A magazine called N.A.G releases mods and patches for PS2 and Xbox games.

I don&#39;t think you can say a console is inferior to a PC unless you have a bunch of consoles plus a decent PC.

I own Xbox, Ps2 and Dreamcast + a plathora of games and I much prefer consoles to PC, my thumbs adapt to the controllers and I can play like a fish in water... Consoles are Super-Standard gaming ona Not-having-to-worry-about-system-specs-or-upgrades platform. When games come out multi-platform, The consoles usually get better marks then the PC... Such as Halo and Enter The Matrix.

ApacNTS
11-06-2003, 07:32 PM
I&#39;d have to say PC has the advantage, not only for the programming ablities, quicker upgrades for games, but since the online factor is present, that is a huge step forward for them. now in the past few years that has been acclimated to the dreamcast/ps2/xbox/gamecube, but since microsoft has being doing it for years they got the map already charted. i wouldnt be suprised if apple didnt try to compete soon, however i hope for gamers sake they do not, i mean wouldnt you just hate to be playing and then the game freezes for 30mins. from what i&#39;ve heard/read about newer game systems slated for release, essentially they have made a scaled down computer with even more power. the list read cd/dvdrom reader/burner, 40-80gb Harddrives, online support, keyboard mouse support, a dvd recorder for tv/dvd/vcr players. pretty much its your pc taken down to the size of a xbox or ps2.

back to the game systems of now, they are good and advance every few years but, it can take quite many years for things to be fixed and adjusted, computers have simpler fixes to them, a patch and a vulnerabiltiy is fixed instantly via download.

my vote goes PC hands down.

Mad Cat
11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
What about graphics? People were playing crappy graphics from PS1s and N64s while PC people were getting sound visuals from games like UT.

More good points about PCs:
Freely available software/games from the Internet
Emulators (theres a few for consoles, but the PC rules in this area)
You can play games from the past (I know you can play PS1 games in a PS2, but thats about a 5-6 year period, PC players can get games from the 80s, and even some from earlier)
A lot of console games that are good get ported to PC

EDIT: Hehe just posting as I read through

[b]The consoles usually get better marks then the PC... Such as Halo and Enter The Matrix

Isn&#39;t that saying something to you? PC players will disregard this game as its stupid, but console people&#39;s worlds revolve around it...

Mad Cat
11-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+3 November 2003 - 16:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 3 November 2003 - 16:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vamp@3 November 2003 - 06:45

More game availibility
and "WTF?" there were like 8 pc games released this year, and only 3 of them were worth playing. [/b][/quote]
What the hell are you on about?

A magazine I read reviewed about 20 games only this month.

And you are saying that most of the console games released are not crap? HAHAHA.

Alot of them are greedy film companies cashing in on the small kids at Christmas time. Look at some of the console games, WDL Thundertanks. My mate rented this and it was shit&#33; I was sad to see about 50 other games in the shop that looked basically the same.

Another thing about consoles - no innovation. All the game innovations come from the PC.

Console = platformer, the odd crap FPS, some unplayable strategy game, some other games
PC = Great games over loads of genres (which were probably created by PCs in the first place)

A good thing about consoles [for once ;)]:
They are great fun to play with a bunch of mates, drunk or not
You can get those nice light gun thingies, and all sorts of strange controllers

I know this doesn&#39;t matter to a lot of people in this forum, but prices of console games are getting over the top. Most of the N64 games costed around £60&#33;
PS2, Gamecube, XBox all are stepping up to around £50 now. Hell you can buy a pretty nice graphics card for a console game&#33; Nevermind what you could get if you didnt buy 4 console games&#33;

3RA1N1AC
11-06-2003, 11:04 PM
of course most of everything is crap. most games on any platform are crap. most movies, music, books, etc are crap. most people are crap.

fuckit. nevermind. i wrote a whole thing about PC games relying completely on stale old formulas, but it&#39;s pointless. may as well be arguing about religion, because there&#39;s no reasoning with the average graphics fetishist who thinks there&#39;s anything innovative about Doom 3.

Jay
11-07-2003, 06:08 AM
i like to play on PC but i always go to my PS2 for sports games like madden and Live

Vamp
11-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@6 November 2003 - 20:45
[QUOTE=3RA1N1AC,3 November 2003 - 16:38] [QUOTE=Vamp,3 November 2003 - 06:45]

Another thing about consoles - no innovation. All the game innovations come from the PC.

Console = platformer, the odd crap FPS, some unplayable strategy game, some other games
PC = Great games over loads of genres (which were probably created by PCs in the first place)

A good thing about consoles [for once ;)]:
They are great fun to play with a bunch of mates, drunk or not
You can get those nice light gun thingies, and all sorts of strange controllers

I know this doesn&#39;t matter to a lot of people in this forum, but prices of console games are getting over the top. Most of the N64 games costed around £60&#33;
PS2, Gamecube, XBox all are stepping up to around £50 now. Hell you can buy a pretty nice graphics card for a console game&#33; Nevermind what you could get if you didnt buy 4 console games&#33;
How can you say no innovation?&#33; The only games I ever see on PC are FPS&#39;s (mainly), 3rd person games and strategy.

Consoles have all of those (except top-down view strategy DOES suck on consoles)
Halo and Turok Evolution (just an example) are brilliant FPS&#39;s with smooth controls and Excellent graphics.

The most experimental gams come out for consoles, games like Gitaroo Man, Dance Dance Revolution, Silent Scope, Time Crisis, Frequency, Cookies and Milk and that game where you draw your characters and the game translates them to 3D Characters in real time.

I also agree with the other guy that you can&#39;t play old games on consoles, But, it&#39;s cheaper to buy a new console every 3 or so years then it is to upgrade every 8 or so months&#33;

3RA1N1AC
11-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@7 November 2003 - 05:13
The most experimental gams come out for consoles, games like Gitaroo Man, Dance Dance Revolution, Silent Scope, Time Crisis, Frequency, Cookies and Milk and that game where you draw your characters and the game translates them to 3D Characters in real time.
exactly. the average japanese console game designer has more innovation in his finger than a roomful of american PC game designers have.