PDA

View Full Version : Sucker Punch (2011)

Skiz
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
:smilie4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJarcI0yhE

certus
07-28-2010, 06:02 PM
very cool trailer. and if its as good as 300. perfect movie ,)

mr. nails
07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
looks pretty god damn pimp. thx 4 the trailer!

Hombre
07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
popcorn film :dabs:

CitiTechno
07-28-2010, 10:08 PM
awesome trailer but i was like wtf the whole

samurai, dragons hospitals ????

IdolEyes787
07-29-2010, 12:11 AM

"Set in the 1950s, "Sucker Punch" follows Babydoll (Browning) who is confined to a mental institution by her stepfather, who intends to have her lobotomized in five days. While there, she imagines an alternative reality to hide her from the pain, and in that world, she begins planning her escape, needing to steal five objects to help get her out before she is deflowered by a vile man".

So apparently much of the action takes place in Babydoll's mind hence the fx .
Actually Zack Snyder jhas been widely quoted as describing the movie as Alice in Wonderland with machine guns if that gives you any idea what it will be like.

Skiz
07-29-2010, 02:44 AM

Listen to the narration. Sounds like there is time travel or something.

mr. nails
03-25-2011, 08:04 AM
i think i really shoulda rolled a J for this. it was an ok film. all the chics were extremely cute with the outfits. this is one of those u watch the trailer and you've seen ALL the action. speaking of the action it was horribly done imo. lol, sure i was turned on by the animation and fighting scenes from the trailer, but everything just wasn't good up close and personal. basically, in the trailer, whenever u see her in a fight scene she's hypnotizing people in the real world by dancing (that we never get to see or told how she's able to do so) in order to escape this exotic run down disgusting house of "insane" girls. lots of mascara, the undead and huge eye lashes 5/10

clocker
03-25-2011, 09:00 AM
i think i really shoulda rolled a J for this...5/10
Or a brownie, maybe.
If you had, would the rating have been higher (so to speak)?

mr. nails
03-30-2011, 05:11 AM
i think i really shoulda rolled a J for this...5/10
Or a brownie, maybe.
If you had, would the rating have been higher (so to speak)?

if anything it would prob lower it more. anticipating euphoria would only anger me more.

iLOVENZB
03-31-2011, 11:40 AM
6 mins of awesomeness: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6185190/exclusive_six_minutes_of_sucker_punch/ (hardly)

Looks interesting, will definitely be watching it in the cinema. Coming here on the 7th.

iLOVENZB
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I ended up watching this on the 7th. Was an interesting film if you really thought about the plot and the directors intentions.

Can't believe it took 2hrs to find 4 objects

Michael Bay Zack Snyder didn't fail to deliver a supposed psychological film which is heavily dependant on action scenes performed by slutty girls defeating the foes, each representing the object.

There's reports that this was Inception of 2011 with the multi layer forms of reality. I can see the point thought: potential spoilers below i can be bothered [spoiling].

There are 4 items the girls have to obtian to escape. With each item obtained an action scene takes place. The action scene also represents whats happening in the "real" world. I wish I could explain it more/give examples but it's been over a week and I've forgotten what exactly takes place.

clocker
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I ended up watching this on the 7th. Was an interesting film if you really thought about the plot and the directors intentions.
yada, yada, yada...
I wish I could explain it more/give examples but it's been over a week and I've forgotten what exactly takes place.
If it really is an interesting film and you've really thought about the plot....wouldn't it stick with you for longer than a few days?

IdolEyes787
04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
yada, yada, yada...
I wish I could explain it more/give examples but it's been over a week and I've forgotten what exactly takes place.
If it really is an interesting film and you've really thought about the plot....wouldn't it stick with you for longer than a few days?

He is conditioned to the internet so his mind considers anything beyond 2 days ancient history and not worth storing .
Actually at the rate the world is devolving I'm moderately impressed that he still had the attention span to sit through the whole thing*.

* Betting that he was occasional browsing youtube and twittering at the same time though.

iLOVENZB
04-19-2011, 06:52 PM
clocker, A lot has happened since then. It was quiet obvious the films like this may be forgettable, hell I can hardly even remember what happened in Inception, apart form a a car falling off a bridge for 2 hrs.

IdolEyes, I actually went and saw this at the cinema :(. No way will I watch a copy with people laughing throughout, people walking past the camera, camera man refocusing the lens. Why people congratulate cammers/encoders for making the picture look 1/10 the way it looks in cinema is beyond me.

Lucky for me my cinema doesn't have the reputation that other cinema goers have; people screaming, crunching loudly, walking past you etc. The only con I can think of is that their prices at the candy bar are extortion. The fee per film is bloody cheap too compared to non-generic franchises.

Adults: $11.00
Students: $9.00
Concession: $9.00
Children: $8.00

Wednesday: Everybody $8

Above prices are in Australian dollars.

Another view:

Quote:

1hundredbullets writes...
That and teach Emily Browning how to dance. She was laughably stiff at the beginning of each dance.

Reply:

Oh my god, she was stiff because she wasn't dancing at all in any of the damn dream sequences – she was being raped repeatedly in all of them. That is why she is 'laughably stiff'.

Ok let me spell it out for everyone, it is quite simple:

- The brothel level is there because it shows how things really are: the stepfather is viewed as a priest by the world even though his actions dictate otherwise. The place is a brothel which shows the viewer that the orderlies are taking advantage of the women within. It also shows the true power structure with Blue running the place even though he is a lowly orderly.
- The 2nd level of fantasy is a way for Babydoll to cope with the fact she is being raped. In the over the top dreams she is in control. She snaps back to reality when she cannot cope with something that is happening in the real world and interpret it into her dream like when Rocket gets killed.
- The lobotomy is a way out, if she cannot escape the confines of the asylum she chooses to get lobotomized, that way Blue cannot 'have her', just her shell.

There, not so hard.

Also all the reviews complaining about how over sexualized it is and how the women in the movie are exploited are correct – that is half of the point. I also never see any comments about how all the men in the movie (except for the bus driver) are disgusting, misogynistic, morally corrupt excuses for human beings. For some reason this gets overlooked in favour of 'omg she is wearing a skimpy school girl uniform while killing robot Nazis! Bad movie! bawwww!'

Edit: One small addendum – there is a very good chance that everything is an interpreted/dreamed up by Sweatpea instead of Babydoll.

http://whrl.pl/RcIPxw

IdolEyes787
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Lucky for me my cinema doesn't have the reputation that other cinema goers have; people screaming, crunching loudly, walking past you etc.

I didn't know that Australia still had segregation.

Another view:

Quote:

Reply:

Oh my god, she was stiff because she wasn't dancing at all in any of the damn dream sequences – she was being raped repeatedly in all of them. That is why she is 'laughably stiff'.

Ok let me spell it out for everyone, it is quite simple:

- The brothel level is there because it shows how things really are: the stepfather is viewed as a priest by the world even though his actions dictate otherwise. The place is a brothel which shows the viewer that the orderlies are taking advantage of the women within. It also shows the true power structure with Blue running the place even though he is a lowly orderly.
- The 2nd level of fantasy is a way for Babydoll to cope with the fact she is being raped. In the over the top dreams she is in control. She snaps back to reality when she cannot cope with something that is happening in the real world and interpret it into her dream like when Rocket gets killed.
- The lobotomy is a way out, if she cannot escape the confines of the asylum she chooses to get lobotomized, that way Blue cannot 'have her', just her shell.

There, not so hard.

Also all the reviews complaining about how over sexualized it is and how the women in the movie are exploited are correct – that is half of the point. I also never see any comments about how all the men in the movie (except for the bus driver) are disgusting, misogynistic, morally corrupt excuses for human beings. For some reason this gets overlooked in favour of 'omg she is wearing a skimpy school girl uniform while killing robot Nazis! Bad movie! bawwww!'

Edit: One small addendum – there is a very good chance that everything is an interpreted/dreamed up by Sweatpea instead of Babydoll.http://whrl.pl/RcIPxw

One small addendum Zack Snyder got lucky with 300 and even then it was more a case of merely duplicating the graphic novel's story and look than any real talent on his part .

One other small addendum people who feel that their interpretation of something that is clearly not well thought out or brought to fruition is the true one are delusional.
I know it's difficult to believe but sometimes maybe things are hard to understand simply because they don't make a lot of sense to begin with .

iLOVENZB
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I would liek to believe you're correct this time Idol but after the painful few years of film study during my school years which included rewinding back to supposed key scenes infinite times, studying character position, facial expressions and dialect, studying the old skool directors motives for certain shots etc. I'm afraid you'll have to convince me further.

I did enjoy the outcome of film study however, just wish that it wasn't a waste of 3 years sitting in a classroom watching B/W silent films on a 15" tv with 30 uninterested students.

Whether Synder has the mental capacity to even think of such apects I wouldn't know.

Frankthetank1
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
anyone watch the cam of this yet? is it watchable?

IdolEyes787
04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
anyone watch the cam of this yet? is it watchable?

Refer to post # 15 and then fuck off.

I would liek to believe you're correct this time Idol but after the painful few years of film study during my school years which included rewinding back to supposed key scenes infinite times, studying character position, facial expressions and dialect, studying the old skool directors motives for certain shots etc. I'm afraid you'll have to convince me further.

My argument .
Odds are sooner or later I have to be right about something.

Frankthetank1
04-19-2011, 11:51 PM
He said he watched it at the cinema. I asked if anyone watched the cam version not what he thinks of cam's in general..

iLOVENZB
04-20-2011, 01:56 AM
All cams are the same Frankthetank1, you can get upscaled cams these days :O.

Frankthetank1
04-20-2011, 02:52 AM
i disagree some are a lot better then others.

iLOVENZB
04-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Are you really that anti-social, pubescent, amaurotic that you can't bring yourself to go to a cinema and watch it in full colour and without having to readjust your eyes because of different sources of the same encode being intertwined? :unsure:

How anyone can watch an action flick which relies heavily on special effects in <480p with actors talking in a tin can and blury to the point you feel as if you're drunk as a skunk is beyond me. But hey, I'm a convict what would I know.

IdolEyes787
04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I know I harp on this more than I should especially given the forum but as someone born in an era when TV was still widely brought into the home via antennae and the pictures correspondingly shite , movies can still be enjoyed under less than ideal circumstance .
I think strongly believe it's a function of the quality of the movie moreso than the quality of the picture.
I have watched my favorite movie in both over-the-airways and pristine HD condition and the weird (and wonderful) thing is I enjoyed both equally well . ( Btw the movie is an adventure/actioner not a" blow everything up in CG " actioner but not a static picture where seeing is totally unimportant either .

That ranted I have downloaded a few "bad" cams and quickly learned my lesson about all things not being equal. A bit snowy and monophonic is one thing ,utterly out of focus,missing important scenes and part of the picture chopped off is entirely another .

One final rant .It's obvious that all these " cam movie groups" ( or whatever) ironically don't give an actual shite about movies or they would never subject anyone to some of the garbage they turn out.