PDA

View Full Version : Im being pretty rude tbh,

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Hello all, i have litteraly just signed up to this forum, and what i am about to ask is very rude of me.. Delete it or move it if you wish, but i am just hunting around for a bit of seedbox help, and i figured this is the best place for me to get it :)

I have an old iMac, which is in the corner of my room collecting dust, now i use bit torrent alot, and i am just simply wondering if you could tell me what i would do to set this computer up as a seedbox!

My main laptop i use is running windows 7, and my mac is running Leopad...

I know this should be in the seedbox section, but i will be honest in saying i signed up here, because i needed help on setting up this seedbox, and i dont really have any intention of posting for 15 days to find out something i could potentially find elsewhere? I'll stick around by all means, it's just if i can't find this out here, i will look somewhere else for that advise :P

Sorry if i sound rude,!

Cabalo
07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I'll let this stay, because we're not talking about seedbox providers.

A warning, I don't want to see any names of seedbox providers on this thread, it will cost you (those who post it I'll have to put them under moderation for a while).

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
To be completley honest i dont really want to go through a provider :) I'd rather do it myself even if it is a bit slower, very tempted atm just to install Windows on to my mac and going from there, thanks for letting this slip though :)

Cabalo
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Then this is a good place to post it. :)

ca_aok
07-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Well there's nothing to "do" to set up your computer as a seedbox, in the context you're talking about it's basically just a computer that you never turn off.

So put it somewhere you aren't bothered by the fan noise, install your favourite BT client on it (probably one with some sort of WebUI or other remote control), and go nuts.

Note if you aren't using a WebUI that supports adding torrents you'd probably have to get more complicated and install an FTP server on the machine and set up a "Watch" directory in your torrent client.

Polarbear
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
What kind of iMac?

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Hmmm ok fair enough, but one thing i dont understand is do the files ur uploading sit on the seedbox comp? Or are they on my main comp. because surley it would only work if they were on the seedbox comp? :) What client do you reccomend?

Polarbear
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
I can't help you if you don't tell me what kind of computer you have.

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Well to be totally honest, i'm in the process of formatting it and slamming xp on to it instead :P

ca_aok
07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Hmmm ok fair enough, but one thing i dont understand is do the files ur uploading sit on the seedbox comp? Or are they on my main comp. because surley it would only work if they were on the seedbox comp? :) What client do you reccomend?
If you have a network set up in your house theoretically you could seed from your regular computer, but it'd be slower and sort of pointless. You'd normally store the files on the seeding computer, and copy them or stream them over to your regular computer via your home network.

As for the client, if you're going to be using XP I'd say use uTorrent. Polarbear will tell you to use Vuze so I'll save him the trouble of writing that, the only real concern you'll have there is if you use What, Waffles or PTP (it's a banned client).

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 08:54 PM
I use what but not that much :) Tbh i hate Vuze, so i will stick with uTorrent, does that have a built in web interface in it? Tbh thanks very much for all this quick info, i really appreciate it.

Polarbear
07-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Old iMacs may not even run Windows. Even if yours does it uses more power on the iMac which isn't good for a computer that's supposed to run 24/7. I could have told you how to install a lighweight client (not Azureus) with web remote access. I also could have told you how to easily share the downloaded files with your windows laptop. Since you refuse to tell me what kind of computer you have I can't help you.

Bye.

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Chill out polar, i hardly refused, i just answers somebody else's question first, and if you were gunna tell me all that anyway, why do you need to know what kind of computer i have? Lol and its the last slim iMac before the like new ultra slim ones, the latest of the white ones

mrnobody
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I can't help you if you don't tell me what kind of computer you have.

it's not like you were going to help him anyway ;)

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Im confused, are you both mocking me or something? :S Lol

anon
07-29-2010, 10:16 PM
i will stick with uTorrent, does that have a built in web interface in it?

Preferences -> Web UI. You can refer to the help file for extra details.

IdolEyes787
07-29-2010, 10:19 PM

I think that they are both being rude.Maybe it's contagious.

donmaytee
07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
i will stick with uTorrent, does that have a built in web interface in it?

Preferences -> Web UI. You can refer to the help file for extra details.

Thankyou mate, had a look in to that :) Appreciate it.

Lol what is this jungle music! Have i got myself in to the forum of sarcasm or something?!

Cabalo
07-30-2010, 12:13 AM
This is a somewhat peculiar community. Just stick around and you'll perfectly blend in.
You're just the latest newbie, which we all were at sometime. ;)

A
07-30-2010, 02:24 AM

I think that they are both being rude.Maybe it's contagious.
Look who is saying that :whistling

@OP
If you are using Windows use uTorrent and the remote settings.
If you are using Linux follow this guide : http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/
If you are using Mac,shame on you :shifty:

Quarterquack
07-30-2010, 03:04 AM
This is a somewhat peculiar community. Just stick around and you'll perfectly blend in.

As Cabalo said, this is a peculiar community. It has cynics, hypocrites (hi, by the way), traders and morally upstanding (idiotic) individuals. Then there are the people that will say something to try and keep you around. :shifty:

pone44
07-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Keep him around for what reason? I do not understand that part.

Then there are the people that will say something to try and keep you around. :shifty:

A
07-30-2010, 03:10 AM

As Cabalo said, this is a peculiar community. It has cynics, hypocrites (hi, by the way), traders and morally upstanding (idiotic) individuals. Then there are the people that will say something to try and keep you around. :shifty:
You missed grammar nazis

Quarterquack
07-30-2010, 03:11 AM

Somewhat ruins the humor of it all, but read the post I quoted; then proceed to read what group of people I considered myself in. Unno, was trying to lighten up the mood in a thread where everyone was being too serious. Never a good thing, being too serious is.

I'll now casually await you to ask me what the sentence directly previous to this one meant, after which I will link you to Star Wars on imdb.

pone44
07-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Star wars. Good movies(except The phantom menace).
I understand what your saying.btw I wasn't trying to be rude or anything and sorry for ruining the humor of your post. :idunno:

Somewhat ruins the humor of it all, but read the post I quoted; then proceed to read what group of people I considered myself in. Unno, was trying to lighten up the mood in a thread where everyone was being too serious. Never a good thing, being too serious is.

I'll now casually await you to ask me what the sentence directly previous to this one meant, after which I will link you to Star Wars on imdb.
Not necessary ;)

Quarterquack
07-30-2010, 03:51 AM
btw I wasn't trying to be rude or anything and sorry for ruining the humor of your post. :idunno:

Haha, you weren't rude at all. Well maybe for posting in this thread (based on the title), but yeah. It's all good. :yes:

IdolEyes787
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
As Cabalo said, this is a peculiar community. ... and morally upstanding (idiotic) individuals.

Tanks

:
You missed grammar nazis

And again.
It's Nazis btw.

A
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Tanks

:
You missed grammar nazis

And again.
It's Nazis btw.
:fst:

Quarterquack
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Tanks

You know what I meant. I wasn't having a snipe at anyone or any particular group of people. Just the ones that impose their moral code on others. :whistling

IdolEyes787
07-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Tanks

You know what I meant. I wasn't having a snipe at anyone or any particular group of people. Just the ones that impose their moral code on others. :whistling

How am I supposed to know what you meant? Do I look like Kreskin or something?

Btw that's pretty rude hating on people like that.Maybe you should take counseling:rolleyes:.

bigdaddydude
07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Welcome aboard! Stick around and I'm sure you will find plenty of sarcasm that will brighten your day here. Just be yourself and don't let others antimidate you. You will eventually find out who are the good friends and who the cheaters are.

Quarterquack
07-31-2010, 02:33 AM
Btw that's pretty rude hating on people like that.Maybe you should take counseling:rolleyes:.

No chance of that happening. They have my picture up on a bulletin board for the top 10 most wanted psychos in every single psychiatric office. Can't walk into any of them without these big men wearing white vests dragging me into a really short bus.