PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2 could fuck your gfx card.

iLOVENZB
07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
If you play StarCraft II then there's a chance you could encounter a potentially dangerous bug, which in extreme cases can cause overheating, and potentially destroy your graphics card.

The glitch reportedly manifests when those playing the game access screens with scant detail, such as menus; this leads to extremely rapid refresh rates which can excessively tax your hardware.

This alarming bug was present in the beta, and apparently has not been squashed in the final retail release. Blizzard has supplied a work-around for the beta bug, which should work fine with the retail version.

A temporary workaround is to go to your DocumentsStarCraft II Betavariables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60

You may replace these numbers if you want to.

http://games.on.net/article/9758/StarCraft_II_bug_could_melt_your_graphics_card

whatsalah
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I confirm this...
Many users have had their video card fried...
By the way, this is not Blizzard's fault... the video card manufacturer's should have thought of a protection system against heat, before producing them!

Kholdstare
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I'd say that it's definitely Blizzard's fault. The "video card manufacturer's" *have* thought of something to protect against this. It's called vertical synchronization, and it allows applications to set their maximum frame rate equal to the refresh rate of your monitor - no more frames are rendered than your monitor can display. There is no way to stop a card from being fried by something like this bug apart from water cooling, perhaps.

That said, if you have a warranty on your card you still might be able to get it replaced.

Stinson
08-16-2010, 08:16 PM
And I was already wondering why my gc was frequently overheated...

1000possibleclaws
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
A simpler fix is just turning V-sync on, and not idling in the menu page forever. Or buying fans.

tesco
08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd say that it's definitely Blizzard's fault. The "video card manufacturer's" *have* thought of something to protect against this. It's called vertical synchronization, and it allows applications to set their maximum frame rate equal to the refresh rate of your monitor - no more frames are rendered than your monitor can display. There is no way to stop a card from being fried by something like this bug apart from water cooling, perhaps.

That said, if you have a warranty on your card you still might be able to get it replaced.
I think the point whatsalah was trying to make was that the card shouldn't be able to destruct itself. It should cut off power to the GPU before the high temperature destroys it.

sangos
08-27-2010, 03:09 AM

I think the point whatsalah was trying to make was that the card shouldn't be able to destruct itself. It should cut off power to the GPU before the high temperature destroys it.

maybe you`re right but from what i see posted the fix isnt that big just type two line in that file so yeah it`s Blizzard fault , and i think if the manufacturer do this safety major they would prevent other uses the G.card can do or at least hold it back, and if you thinking like manufacturer you would see the obvious reason "why spend lots of money on a thing that can be evaded by just two lines ???""