PDA

View Full Version : PTN is going bling bling!!??

The_Martinator
08-01-2010, 09:12 AM
So PTN is V2 now. I like it a lot. It looks great and is very customizable from what I've tried. Also the categories' icons look shweet. :lol:

The problem IMO is that the site allows rared movies, which is strange for a movie site IMO. And now the main problem, a large portion of movies are rared there. Which means the ratention is not as good (at least from my POV) as it could have been. Unless you have a lot of really dedicated seedbox users willing to let these movies stay on their boxes for a long, long time...

Anyway, I got offtopic, do you guys like the new look?

Polarbear
08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not a member but I assume since it's a movie tracker pretimes aren't that important. How do they justify the rars? They aren't needed at all for Bittorrent.

n00bz0r
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
well, a lot of people prefer scene content to be rared. So, we couldn't completely ban packed releases. However, at the same time we have made it abundantly clear that unrar'd releases will be preferred over rar'd..and are encouraging our members to take some time to unpack scene content and then upload 'em.
Packs by default are unrar'd.

PtN is still a work in progress.. with a detailed category system like ours, most auto upload scripts struggle with filling in the details required on the upload page. Once our coders get enough time to work on the auto upload script without compromising on filling up requisite details, expect more unrar'd releases.

We understand how important unpacked releases can be for a relatively small site like ours, and its long term effects in improving torrent retention. We are working on improving things to the best of our abilities.

//Peace

t00z
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
So is this just yet another site making some minor changes to TBDev, installing a new 'hip' theme for the header, tables and buttons, adding some ugly javascripts for hovering, and calling it 'v2'? :pinch:

karachidude
08-01-2010, 10:15 AM
nice..looks better,about time i would say

The_Martinator
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
well, a lot of people prefer scene content to be rared. So, we couldn't completely ban packed releases. However, at the same time we have made it abundantly clear that unrar'd releases will be preferred over rar'd..and are encouraging our members to take some time to unpack scene content and then upload 'em.

Really, really good to hear that. I can understand hat some people prefer packed stuff, but from my experience most of them a ratio whores, who shouldn't have any interest in PTN anyway.

Hopefully PTN gains in popularity from this. The forums are pretty nice (excluding the last movie seen thread, sorry had to say it) for a tracker.

QPD
08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't like V2...but i can live with it!
Rared, unrared, i don't care as long as i find what i want!

becomehokage
08-01-2010, 11:30 AM
So is this just yet another site making some minor changes to TBDev, installing a new 'hip' theme for the header, tables and buttons, adding some ugly javascripts for hovering, and calling it 'v2'? :pinch:
That.

TraLaLa
08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
The download / upload speed isn't it increased if the files are rared ?

Burnsy
08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
The problem IMO is that the site allows rared movies, which is strange for a movie site IMO. And now the main problem, a large portion of movies are rared there. Which means the ratention is not as good (at least from my POV) as it could have been. Unless you have a lot of really dedicated seedbox users willing to let these movies stay on their boxes for a long, long time...

Why?

I'm assuming you're aware that numerous media players allow you to view films in their rar'd format? The whole "you need double the room to unpack the release" argument was defunct long ago...

I personally prefer rar'd releases so that if I ever download a corrupted archive I only have 15MB/50MB or whatever else to find elsewhere as opposed to another 700MB/1.4GB (min, not even HD) release elsewhere.

Polarbear
08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I personally prefer rar'd releases so that if I ever download a corrupted archive I only have 15MB/50MB or whatever else to find elsewhere as opposed to another 700MB/1.4GB (min, not even HD) release elsewhere.

You prefer rars because when rars are corrupted you can download them again? When the files are unrared before uploading there wouldn't be any corrupted archives in the first place. Think again.

Files are rared because they're spread with multi-threaded FTP transfer within the scene. It has absolutely nothing to do with Bittorrent. The Bittorrent protocol splits every file in chunks anyway. Rared or not.

The download / upload speed isn't it increased if the files are rared ?

No.

The_Martinator
08-01-2010, 03:41 PM
You prefer rars because when rars are corrupted you can download them again? When the files are unrared before uploading there wouldn't be any corrupted archives in the first place. Think again.

Files are rared because they're spread with multi-threaded FTP transfer within the scene. It has absolutely nothing to do with Bittorrent. The Bittorrent protocol splits every file in chunks anyway. Rared or not.

This. Also I don't like the players that support it. Call me l33t if you will.

Quarterquack
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
There is no advantage of rar'ed over unrar'ed and vice versa, however, there are a bunch of myths. The bittorrent protocol already has inbuilt parts/pieces management, and checks for corruptions. Arguing that p2p is anything like scene necessitating rar'ed releases, is just turning a blind eye to the protocol's great developers. Upload/Download speed is only limited by the bandwidth and how overloaded your ports are. Given the fact that most torrent clients "thread" based on how many connections you allow, as opposed to how many files you are downloading; there is again, no advantage to either unrar'ed or rar'ed, since they both will be split up into relatively equal sized chunks (even the 14/50mb chunks are too big for most BT parts).

Back on-topic:

I actually like the new PTN a whole lot. I wouldn't say the new theme(s) is (are) necessarily the best thing that could have been designed, but at the same time they were a fresh breath. As I'm not a fan of extremely dark themes, I moved back to the bday theme, however, I still appreciate that bit of work. The new features are bloody awesome, though. I'm not a part of many trackers that care about the intricacies of movie information (similar movies/director page) as just happened here. Movie grouping on TBDev made me chuckle a little bit, too; I assume it uses an online movie db that would screw up should the db goes down? If so, I'd feel safer knowing there was some way to archive the pieces of the db necessary to keep the system together.

As I already mentioned once on their forums, I don't like inconsistencies; three different icon sets at work (browse page set, movie banner set, movie page download set) is just overkill, but I can understand not wanting to let someone's work go to waste, after developing the icons. I'd think no matter who the someone is, though, they'd feel they got paid much more respect by having a specific choice in peoples' profiles to choose their icon set to be the standard. I wouldn't mind expanding any icon sets myself, if necessary, to get a better more professional consistency across the pages.

Also, totally unrelated, n00bz0r: you staff on there? :O

A
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
PTN is going boing boing!! :happy:.Its always really nice to see dedicated staff improving a site.

Also, totally unrelated, n00bz0r: you staff on there?
Admin :D

anon
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
There is no advantage of rar'ed over unrar'ed and vice versa, however, there are a bunch of myths. The bittorrent protocol already has inbuilt parts/pieces management, and checks for corruptions. Arguing that p2p is anything like scene necessitating rar'ed releases, is just turning a blind eye to the protocol's great developers. Upload/Download speed is only limited by the bandwidth and how overloaded your ports are. Given the fact that most torrent clients "thread" based on how many connections you allow, as opposed to how many files you are downloading; there is again, no advantage to either unrar'ed or rar'ed, since they both will be split up into relatively equal sized chunks (even the 14/50mb chunks are too big for most BT parts).

What he said. :yup:

RARed releases are very slighly bigger than their non-RARed counterparts due to the RAR headers, though, but the increase is negligible (we're talking about <1kB/part). And there is no space gain, since Scene RARs are uncompressed.

On a personal level, I prefer non-RARed stuff, since I don't have to bother to unpack it after it's done downloading.

TraLaLa
08-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Is there an option to park my account ? i will leave the country next week, some accounts will die some will be deleted, what a drama :lol:

Burnsy
08-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Yes, it does happen on occasion that Scene Releases are upped to sites and when downloaded one of the rar files is corrupted... never happened to you? No?

In instances like that, it's easy enough to use the .sfv file to see which one is corrupt and then grab that part from somewhere else... I'm afraid I won;t think again, I'm happy doing what I'm doing, thanks all the same :)

I'm fully aware of that, but thanks for the revision...

karachidude
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Is there an option to park my account ? i will leave the country next week, some accounts will die some will be deleted, what a drama :lol:

wheres the drama in that,thats a pretty drama free question ur askin there :huh:

Polarbear
08-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes, it does happen on occasion that Scene Releases are upped to sites and when downloaded one of the rar files is corrupted... never happened to you? No?

Of course it happens. That's why I prefer unrared content. No rars, no corrupted rars. You said that you prefer rars because it makes it easier to replace corrupted rars. That doesn't make any sense at all. You prefer a method to replace an error when the method itself is the reason for the error.

sake
08-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Please, give me their IRC channel and server. I can`t find them now.

Burnsy
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Of course it happens. That's why I prefer unrared content. No rars, no corrupted rars. You said that you prefer rars because it makes it easier to replace corrupted rars. That doesn't make any sense at all. You prefer a method to replace an error when the method itself is the reason for the error.

OK, I'm assuming you've never had a problem with the actual download itself? Not the files on the release per se?

If I'm grabbing rar's I can identify which rar file(s) it was and grab them elsewhere... it may have been the original files, it may have been a problem with the download itself... either way I don't generally worry about it as I've better things to do, I just find another release, grab the replacement files and 999 times out of 1000 the problem is solved.

Much preferable to downloading a single unrar'd file, prob with the download and you have to grab the whole lot again... doesn;t happen a lot, very rarely in fact, I'll freely admit to that but it still happens.

You do it your way, I'll do it my way and we'll both be happy. Maybe I'm set in my ways, but I've always gone with rar'd files and never had any lasting problems... why fix it if it ain't broke? :)

You're not wrong, I'm not wrong... we'll never change each others minds. If you have an over whelming desire to be 'right' then you carry on if you feel like it :lol:

All I asked was why someone preferred unrar'd to rar'd as I thought they were on about the whole 'space' issue...

Hombre
08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
gj PtN, i think the header is a lot of confusion. i like simple and minimal things, and the header is too much info.

Quarterquack
08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Burnsy, if you ever download a corrupted file, it's because the source was messed up; not the downloaded copy. The protocol alone checks for file fidelity more than you can imagine. If you have a problem, it's probably a corruption that happened during the transfer from the FTP to the site you're downloading the content from.

i like simple and minimal things

When was the last time you changed your signature, again?

Burnsy
08-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Burnsy, if you ever download a corrupted file, it's because the source was messed up; not the downloaded copy. The protocol alone checks for file fidelity more than you can imagine. If you have a problem, it's probably a corruption that happened during the transfer from the FTP to the site you're downloading the content from.

That's fair comment, all I know is that in the past I've more than once downloaded a single file (avi or whatever) and it's either crashed or have had some other problems watching it (and yeah, this was a while ago from public trackers). I'll fully accept that it was probably a problem with the upload and not the download... the point I'm making is that I tend not to worry about it, and by using rar files it's a lot easier/quicker to replace... I do what I do now by stuff that's happened in the past. I used to think there was possibly probs with the download itself, I stand corrected if indeed that's impossible

I know that the protocol checks and checks time and time again, although tbh, and not being a very 'techy' person I've never looked far into it at all, so will accept what you say as I've nothing to offer on that... One thing I will say though is that uploading 20-30 torrents a day to some trackers makes it impossible to unrar them all to check them before uploading them (while trying to also have a life too :lol:). It won't be the first time I've had to search for a 'damaged' rar file to fix a download, so it's a fair balance for me :)

tutipute
08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
We are glad that you appreciate it! :)

gj PtN, i think the header is a lot of confusion. i like simple and minimal things, and the header is too much info.
Well, i personally respect you're opinion, especially since its coming with some someone with that avatar.;)

..I'd feel safer knowing there was some way to archive the pieces of the db necessary to keep the system together.
Don't worry, you can sleep tight if this is your concern. The stuff that matter is indexed locally.

We understand how important unpacked releases can be for a relatively small site like ours, and its long term effects in improving torrent retention. We are working on improving things to the best of our abilities.

//Peace
+1

I personally don't give much about whether scene releases being un-rared and believe that un-rared torrents are more practical to keep since they don't require the double space when they are still seeded (Assuming of course that you are not streaming them directly out of the rar files...)

Burnsy
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, i personally respect you're opinion, especially since its coming with some someone with that avatar.;)

Ad-Block it mate... I think everyone else has :lol:

And back on topic anyway... new layout looks good, might take a bit of getting used to, but nice job all the same :)

tutipute
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM

And back on topic anyway... new layout looks good, might take a bit of getting used to, but nice job all the same :)
Thanks! Don't get me wrong, we will appreciate any constructive criticism, anonymous or not.

Quarterquack
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
By the way tuti, while you're here: Good job. Everything is better than I expected to be when I started hearing about v2. :yes:

brento
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks! Don't get me wrong, we will appreciate any constructive criticism, anonymous or not.

It's very nice, I just wish leaving a torrent comment was less complicated.

Polarbear
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Burnsy:

Rar files don't get corrupted during the bittorrent transfer. Bittorrent uses a SHA-1 hash function. It's a secure algorithm. That means you always get exactly the files that the uploader had on his HD when he created the torrent file. Sometimes the scene messed up something and then you have a corrupted rar archive. When you download this file you will of course end up with a corrupted rar archive as well because it was there in the first place. You can't go to another tracker and replace it, because the other tracker has the identical damaged file that you downloaded. Usually a rarfix is released by the group later. That is what you can download to fix the problem. So when rar archives are messed up you even have to download more.

I understand now that you think the archives get corrupted during BT transfer. Again, that's not possible. When you download something via Bittorrent and it's corrupted it was either corrupted in the first place or because of faulty RAM, a faulty HD or some other hardware problems on your side. That can happen with any file, rared or not. All you have to do is download the corrupted part again. The client will do a hash check and only redownload the missing chunks, not the whole movie.

When the uploader unpacks the rar files before he uploads a movie, he can easily see that something is wrong. When he doesn't unrar it he can't. Rar errors happen during the archiving process, not during the bittorrent transfer.

Of course unraring takes time. A 0-day tracker wants fast pretimes, that's why especially automated uploads don't unrar the releases. PTN is a movie tracker, that's why they should give the users an extra service and release the files unrared.

I hope you understand now that you can't replace something that was uploaded corrupted.

I heard the "download one rar piece instead of the whole movie again when corrupted" so many times. I had rar discussions for years and this argument is brought up again and again. It's simply wrong.

bijoy
08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
The v2 design is good looking..
But looks like they have copied something from the unreleased SCTDev codee. ;-)

tutipute
08-01-2010, 09:03 PM
The v2 design is good looking..
I'll have to disagree on that.

Quarterquack
08-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Err... what? The two sites look nothing alike. (Nor behave the same either, even with ScT++ and Feeling+)

stoi
08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Back onto the multi-rar thing, even though its seemed to have hijacked this a bit. I am like burnsy, but I think that is years of using usenet, and just getting used to rars on there.

But there is another reason, the torrent itself can be corrupt, and if the uploader does not hash check it before seeding, it will say he has 100%, when in reality he has 98%, so the leechers will never be able to finish it (and the download will be corrupt). That has happened to me on a couple of occasions when i have been in a rush, and i have seen it on numerous occasions on BCG, so before you upload the torrent you should hash check it just to be sure.

but pretty sure if that happened on a multi-rar torrent or a 1 file torrent you could still resume it if another torrent was made. (never tried it with a 1 file torrent though)

This is the reason we now allow non multi-rar uploads, I still believe that mew scene releases should be packed as they come (multi rared), but for old scene releases/user own uploads they dont have to be.

But saying that, on some games (I know movies dont) raring can shave off a lot of space, I done breakout PS1 years ago, 650meg CD, rared down to 8 meg on best, so at the time, it was 20 minutes uploading compared to 20 hours, so if i am uploading something these days (which does not happen a lot) i will rar just to see if the size difference is worth it.

will let you get back on topic now.

RadiancE
08-02-2010, 01:08 AM

The .avi file can still be corrupted/damaged, even when the release is rar'ed. Not very often, but it happens.

Chief_Garbonzo
08-02-2010, 05:37 AM
It will def take some time to get used to the new look, however, I think it looks great. :D You can tell the coders spent some dedicated time on the design with how detailed it is. I love all the different theme options too.

As for rars.. I'm a rar boy. I guess there is no real convincing argument as of why. However, I will give you a couple reasons to me why I like em. One of my hobbies is collecting and archiving certain music, or movie, or tv, or appz collection throughout the years. I am very proud of all the things I have managed to accumulate over the years. lol. Anyhow, 90% of my archive is rar'd scene releases, and I guess I am OCD where I like my collection to be all the same. Also, I was in the scene for years, and it's how I was taught and just sticks with yah over the years. I remember back in the day when they were 1.44MB files, and we were moving them on BBS's across the world. lol, I feel old :P Also, I had a HD have issues once with bad sectors and eventually had to have a HD funeral for it.. It was starting to perform the 'click of death' more often every day, so I started a salvage operation. I had a lot of movies on there, and some of the 700mb avi files were not rar'd; If any of that file was on the bad sectors on my HD I couldn't salvage the whole thing. However, when I had movies in rars, I found that only certain rars were on the bad sectors, and I could salvage part of it, then went and hunted down the missing rars and replaced them. It didn't take long for me to find them. :D

Burnsy
08-02-2010, 09:18 AM

The .avi file can still be corrupted/damaged, even when the release is rar'ed. Not very often, but it happens.

It was actually Polarbear who quoted that mate :)

VinX
08-02-2010, 02:57 PM
i havent followed up teh whole thread but !

http://content.pyzam.com/graphics/cute/omg.gif

its AWESOME !!

<3 the new look

t00z
08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
It honoustly was just a question. But I guess you accidentally sort of answered it now?

tutipute
08-02-2010, 06:03 PM
It honoustly was just a question. But I guess you accidentally sort of answered it now?
Sorry, English no good. Me try understand best next time... Now that i read it back it does sound like a question, so it was either my tired eyes or the fact that the question was phrased negatively.

To the point, we did install a few new 'hip' themes, but PtN always had great designs, at least in my opinion. We did add some (ugly?) javascripts for hovering and a bunch more.

I personally want to believe that its more than just that, but you should view the other, hopefully more objective, comments and judge by that. I guess that some users will like it and some won't, but i think that it is definitely a change.

aen
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
There are too many functions on browse.php which makes the downloading procedure is more difficult. I just want to admin it's realy beatifull but sometimes minimalism isn't that bad :) peace.

VinX
08-03-2010, 05:17 PM
oi , guys , when i bump a torrent , doesnt come up to #1 in browse page :( sad .. i m one of the biggest bumper of few uploads :P

tutipute
08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
oi , guys , when i bump a torrent , doesnt come up to #1 in browse page :( sad .. i m one of the biggest bumper of few uploads :P
lol, VinX, i'm glad that you found the right place to mention any of these two facts.

MiNiMAL
08-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Ptn v2 ftw [!]

Cut-Copy-Paste
08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
This.

n00bz0r
08-04-2010, 09:34 AM
This.

Would have really appreciated your 'own' opinion(s). But hey, you're just trying to live up to your nick.

VinX
08-04-2010, 02:50 PM
/me likey likey new PTN , feels moar l337 :D

hehe

t00z
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
This.

Would have really appreciated your 'own' opinion(s). But hey, you're just trying to live up to your nick.
Username makes post.

bigdaddydude
08-06-2010, 03:03 AM
It can be confusing when trying to select what torrent you want from the browse page. On the other hand, it's nice to have options for different kinds of rips for one movie all put together. The design looks great too. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the new navigation system.

C-mos
08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
haters can just stfu .
the ones who are not even members can stfu also.
I am bored.

Chief_Garbonzo
08-07-2010, 02:29 AM
haters can just stfu .
I am bored.

Why so harsh??

A
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM
haters can just stfu .
I am bored.
You can STFU as well.
I am bored.

n00bz0r
08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
haters can just stfu .
I am bored.
You can STFU as well.
I am bored.

lol
aby r back!

RasToRizE
08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
new looks good!!!!!

VinX
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
fuk off dick lover gaybeats

btw sup?

IdolEyes787
08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
fuk off dick lover gaybeats

btw sup?

Every time you post my gaydar.

VinX
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
anyways even i havent spoken in a long time with AbyBeats .. he is really ARSUM coz ... i dont remember why but he is arsum !

xD

ontopic:

PTN v2 is rockin hard sweet :)

A
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
lol look who is calling others gay,the gaylord himself and you are having work (sucking bosses dick ofc :shifty:) and is so "l33t" to even drop by irc these days :whistling

IdolEyes787
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
anyways even i havent spoken in a long time with AbyBeats .. he is really ARSUM coz ... i dont remember why but he is arsum !

xD

ontopic:

PTN v2 is rockin hard sweet :)

Reported for breaking forum rules about posting in English.

n00bz0r
08-11-2010, 02:02 AM
:lol:

VinX
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
lol look who is calling others gay,the gaylord himself and you are having work (sucking bosses dick ofc :shifty:) and is so "l33t" to even drop by irc these days :whistling

fuck u sideways

and

LMAO @ Idoleyes :P

weedpeople
08-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I like PTN , especially now when they moved to V2 .
It is a great tracker , pretty huge choice of movies and nice community. I wish the International forums section could be more active , but PTN is great enough

tutipute
08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I like PTN , especially now when they moved to V2 .
It is a great tracker , pretty huge choice of movies and nice community. I wish the International forums section could be more active , but PTN is great enough
Thanks weedpeople, both for the comment and for putting the thread back on topic.

The_Martinator
08-13-2010, 06:27 PM
The number of unrared movies has gone from under 200 o over 400 since the thread has started. I'm impressed. I think there was even a poll about it. :D

I'm starting to like PTN.

IdolEyes787
08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks weedpeople, both for the comment and for spoiling any chance that anyone would say anything interesting in this topic.

See on topic and you end up with shit like what Marin just posted.
Open that door and next thing you know someone will post about release groups or bit-rates or something.:ermm:

The_Martinator
08-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey, at least I'm trying. It's not easy being stupid, ya know. Oh, wait, you do!!

IdolEyes787
08-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Do or donut .There is no try.

That wasn't so hard was it?

The_Martinator
08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Do or donut .There is no try.

That wasn't so hard was it?

For you, maybe. I'm not as "experienced". :P

IdolEyes787
08-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Sometimes talent counts for more than experience .

The_Martinator
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
You may be right, or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpfzaqIuR34

A
08-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Guess we are back to topic :naughty: