PDA

View Full Version : what seriously has happened to music the past 10 years

Adster
08-06-2010, 01:55 PM
maybe im talking more of pop music here. but the past 10 years any song thats in the top 40 is dance or rap.

now theae days its so and so featureing some rapper or some DJ, and we may see a comerical rock band in the 40 like train or a nickelback (cock rock)

I know when it comes down to it its about the $$$$$$$ but why is it so popular this stuff when cleary most of us all know its crap? do only teenage girls buy music in todays generation?

ok lets move the pop crap aside for a minute

the big band sounds has changed and it isnt what it used to be, everything is about simple 3 chord progession on guitar with that treble sound (the late 90s started to bring this in I use the foo fighters sound for an example) guitar solos are dead on rock music now. its rare to hear one on the radio, where in the 70 and 80s every song would just about have it. hell even the disco music in the 70s was decent when you look back now on todays standards.

it seems the only good music to get that sound back to listen to metal. even metallica dived into a grave with that st anger crap album with that horrible sound

am I living in the past before 1995? because thats when music started to take a dive with the sound, maybe I am in the past as we see lots of oldies only loving the 50s and 60s music

I have a theory that when we get to almost the age of 30 we cant take anymore of the changes and start looking back at what we had at the time.

I am starting to feel the same way about movies too with the 3D thing and CGI fucking with movies that should be about story acting etc

l33tpirata13
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Look up Disco Demolition Night. Music, like anything else, has its ups and downs. After groups like Good Charlotte and Sum 41, it can only get better.

MagicNakor
08-08-2010, 01:31 AM
American Idol premiered roughly ten years ago. :dabs:

:shuriken:

YoYoY
08-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Nothing happened to the music. music has always been like this , good stuff are just rarer to find. not just because you don't like the music means that the music is shit. really , everyone has his own taste.

Edit :

even those dance , trance..etc. tracks take huge efforts to be made and when you put effort to something it surely will be good. as i said before , every kind of music has its own crowd and you can always find good stuff in each genre.

08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
What happened to music in the past 10 years?! If anything, music is better than ever. Most of the bands I listen to didn't exist before the year 2000. A few might go back into the 1990s, but most of my favorite bands formed after the year 2000. So, I think music is getting better, not worse.

c0ld
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
What happened to music in the past 10 years?! If anything, music is better than ever. Most of the bands I listen to didn't exist before the year 2000. A few might go back into the 1990s, but most of my favorite bands formed after the year 2000. So, I think music is getting better, not worse.

P sure you just have bad taste.

08-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Who doesn't like Saves The Day songs? :)

YoYoY
08-11-2010, 01:07 AM

there is no " bad taste " here. you like something and you don't like something else which could appeal to someone else. every kind of music has its own fans who think that other kinds of music is crap and their point of view is just....wrong.

bwayne337
08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
YoYoY is right, there is no such thing as bad taste. but there is bad music. like rappers rapping about how low their balls hang and strippers with big booties.

c0ld
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Er, no. Music is objectively good or bad, but people just have subjective taste. If you think bad music is good, or vice versa, you have bad taste. This is just a scientific fact you have to live with.

IdolEyes787
08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Er, no. Music is objectively good or bad, but people just have subjective taste. If you think bad music is good, or vice versa, you have bad taste. This is just a scientific fact you have to live with.

No once again you are entering it with a preconception that just because it is more correct ,complex or precise in form that it is inherently "better".That, at least in the case of art/music, is something that is based on historical majority(other people's taste ) and not necessarily measurable fact like "what is a perfect circle" and certainly not individual perception.
Unless of course you take art and emotion away from it and look at it as nothing more another studied science- which of course to some but thankfully not all degree it will never entirely be.
Like the man said "Talent is the capacity of doing anything that depends on application and industry; it is a voluntary power, while genius is involuntary".
If music was definable (like a perfect circle) then everyone with enough practice could be Mozart.

Music is like a sunset viewed through a million different eyes where everyone blessedly is allowed to find their own truth in it. Such is it's universal power.

l33tpirata13
08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Music is like a sunset viewed through a million different eyes where everyone blessedly is allowed to find their own truth in it. Such is it's universal power.

Here then, contemplate this "Sunset". ENJOY!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dJonNLu6U&feature=related

I did see some clapping, so you're right.

bwayne337
08-12-2010, 08:58 AM
LOL @the video
whatever. everybody is entitled to their own opinions. it's just painful to see genuine, talented artists get bumped out of the music industry because of untalented, auto-tuning bastards who make all their sounds on a computer. i mean fair game, that's good, but it just ain't fair that the struggling artists will always be the best artists.

c0ld
08-12-2010, 04:36 PM

No once again you are entering it with a preconception that just because it is more correct ,complex or precise in form that it is inherently "better".That, at least in the case of art/music, is something that is based on historical majority(other people's taste ) and not necessarily measurable fact like "what is a perfect circle" and certainly not individual perception.
Unless of course you take art and emotion away from it and look at it as nothing more another studied science- which of course to some but thankfully not all degree it will never entirely be.
Like the man said "Talent is the capacity of doing anything that depends on application and industry; it is a voluntary power, while genius is involuntary".
If music was definable (like a perfect circle) then everyone with enough practice could be Mozart.

I didn't read any of that, but if it says what I think it says then you are totally wrong buddy. This is a FACT, you can't argue with it.

Speedo
08-20-2010, 05:35 AM
LOL @the video
whatever. everybody is entitled to their own opinions. it's just painful to see genuine, talented artists get bumped out of the music industry because of untalented, auto-tuning bastards who make all their sounds on a computer. i mean fair game, that's good, but it just ain't fair that the struggling artists will always be the best artists.

Music will never die. Corporations will.

bigboab
08-23-2010, 09:08 AM
When you reach a certain age:whistling you have probably heard the same music over and over again. Just a few chord changes here and there. There is no original music. I'm excluding rap here, because, personally I don't consider that music. Each to their own taste, I suppose.:)

l33tpirata13
08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm excluding rap here, because, personally I don't consider that music.

Aw c'mon!! How could you not like The Message by Grandmaster Flash?

IdolEyes787
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
What really "happened' to music was the advent of MTV and music videos and so for many people the focus shifted to style over substance.
To paraphrase Billy Crystal , in this day and age " It's better to look good than to sound good".

Also the music industry ( like the TV and film industries) likes to put it's money into nice safe, easily consumable stuff which is basically the antithesis of creativity.

elbuitre
08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Well if you take the lowest common denominator (top 40 stuff tailored to reach mainstream appeal) then yeah you could say most music sucks now, but that could be said about almost any era. Sure, some good stuff shines through and gets popular; But, with the advent of internet and music being easily reproducible in a digital format, mainstream music has lost any sort of relevancy for many people. Sure, some are just people who are looking for the next big fad to claim some kind of hip cred but some people actually enjoy creative, engaging and original music recordings and shows. i don't know what kind of music you like but I'm pretty sure you could find something you like in today's music.

Generalizing and encapsulating ALL music and saying it was better in the old days is ignorant and short sighted. If you're old and disillusioned with music because you can no longer find new music you like, either spice it up and search far and wide for something you like (start listening to music without anyone having to play it to you, search albums that look interesting, read up reviews, seek out recommendations and pick and choose the most interesting ones) or stick with the same music you've been playing and boring adult contemporary shit.

bigboab
08-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Well if you take the lowest common denominator (top 40 stuff tailored to reach mainstream appeal) then yeah you could say most music sucks now, but that could be said about almost any era. Sure, some good stuff shines through and gets popular; But, with the advent of internet and music being easily reproducible in a digital format, mainstream music has lost any sort of relevancy for many people. Sure, some are just people who are looking for the next big fad to claim some kind of hip cred but some people actually enjoy creative, engaging and original music recordings and shows. i don't know what kind of music you like but I'm pretty sure you could find something you like in today's music.

Generalizing and encapsulating ALL music and saying it was better in the old days is ignorant and short sighted. If you're old and disillusioned with music because you can no longer find new music you like, either spice it up and search far and wide for something you like (start listening to music without anyone having to play it to you, search albums that look interesting, read up reviews, seek out recommendations and pick and choose the most interesting ones) or stick with the same music you've been playing and boring adult contemporary shit.

It was not better in the olden days, except for a spell in the late sixties(After the Beatles:whistling). I have been listening to all types of music for over sixty years. I don't like modern jazz, other than that, if the 'music' is good I listen to it.

sandman_1
08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I guess playing real instruments is a dieing breed.

The problem I see with today's music is for one it is too loud. Ever since digital music came into existence, there has been this ambition to jack up the loudness so it sounds louder than the other Joe's loud crap. Two, they dynamically compress the range which takes substance out of the instruments. Just with those two, you have loud dull sounding instruments that lack range and substance. Three, the so called "artists" are a joke. Does anyone ever write their own songs anymore? This is especially true of these Pop Diva's. They are mindless and resort to nudity to sell albums since they are no talent idiots. Good music sticks around no matter what it is. The groups I listen to are still doing concerts to sold out arenas after being around for 30+ years.

aerospace
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
What happened to music in the past 10 years? Ace of Base is back and they've been around for 10 years. New album is called All For You.

With the free flow of information people listen to whatever's inspiring and stuff they can connect with.

spongeduckie
09-22-2010, 04:19 AM
I think the Bling got to their heads and choked the creativity out of them!

IdolEyes787
09-22-2010, 12:18 PM

That would maybe make sense except for the fact that Glenn Miller was making $100k a month in 1940 when the average yearly salary was $1900 .

sandman_1
09-23-2010, 02:54 PM

That and their meat dresses, lol.

RapidSpeeds
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Every generation has it's own style - and several if you think about it.

There's always some new genre until they run out of guitar chords :P

My beloved rap is nearly dead, only thing that is decent that exists is mixtapes.

Adster
01-16-2019, 11:50 PM
and almost 10 years late it's now 10 years more 20 years now music is even more at a all time low

MacGyverSG1
01-17-2019, 11:47 AM
The fact that you don't need talent is the main reason music has been terrible for the past 20 years. People want to be rich and famous while doing as little work as possible. Most musicians start learning to play an instrument at a young age. They learn to read and write music. They write their own lyrics. An unfortunate side-effect of technology is that anyone can press buttons and create/copy a song. No need to be able to sing, play an instrument, read/write music or write lyrics. There's no creativity that way. The crap is popular because advertisers know how to make people think it is popular. It's just like the sheeple lining up at an apple store to buy the newest gadget. Advertising hype makes people think everyone needs one.

nQQ
01-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Don't forget that with autotune style software you don't even need to be able to sing!! Then there is virtual stars like Hatsune Miku so you don't even have to be real!!

Vishwas_22
02-04-2021, 08:43 AM
There's something goood something bad happened to music in all these years. Melody has taken backseat and rhythm took the charge. But at the same time there are a lot of fantastic musicians who kept the essence alive. So, at the end its all good .

anon
02-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Then there is virtual stars like Hatsune Miku so you don't even have to be real!!

I wouldn't exactly listen to Vocaloid songs all day long, but Miku :wub:

With that said, you still have to provide instrumentals and lyrics, as well as fine-tune the vocals, so a degree of musical talent is required.

seconds
10-23-2021, 01:58 PM
Not sure what happened to Techno either

Zupper
10-23-2021, 03:23 PM
I agree, I just prefer the music from the 70s and 80s. The music has greater depth and I never tire of listening to the tracks.

Taking about movies, I look for good acting. I want to be convinced that the narrative feels real even when it is not. I watched Dune 2021 and I was convinced, it pulled me in, it felt real.
I tried watching Foundation and it just has not got that spark, a shame really.

anon
11-02-2021, 07:48 AM
The last new album I listened to was ELO's From Out of Nowhere :emo:

IdolEyes787
11-02-2021, 12:05 PM
The last new album I listened to was ELO's From Out of Nowhere :emo:

It's probably a livin' thing.:idunno:

mawmee
09-25-2022, 04:41 AM
If you don't understand today's music, then it only means you're just getting old :P

Now.... get off my lawn!

IdolEyes787
09-25-2022, 12:09 PM
Each generation seeks to create it's own identity so each subsequent generation therefore needs to be somewhat at odds with the previous one. If I liked Megan Thee Stallion I would be betraying society and also obviously mental.

megabyteme
09-25-2022, 02:10 PM
My daughter seems to take offense every time I hear her playing something she likes and I ask, 'What the *fuck* is that shit??!' Respectfully, of course.

anon
09-26-2022, 04:37 AM
If you don't understand today's music, then it only means you're just getting old :P

Each generation seeks to create it's own identity so each subsequent generation therefore needs to be somewhat at odds with the previous one.

That's really cool and all, but how many hip-hop, reggaetón and trap "artists" will stand the test of time?