PDA

View Full Version : New pretome login system

Hombre
08-10-2010, 03:26 AM
from site:

Hello Fellow Pretome users,

In the near future you will notice a very big change to the login page. It will help provide more security for our users https://preto.me/pic/smilies/smile1.gif You will know it when you go to the login page and there is nowhere to login! There will be a "Search" box where you can simply search for anything like you would do on Google. However, if you enter an active site nick, you will also get a box to enter your password!

This will not change the functionality of the site, however, just provide some always nice to have security in our growing community https://preto.me/pic/smilies/smile1.gif If you experience any issues, please contact staff in IRC in our #help channel, staffbox, or forums.

//Staff

so dont worry next time you have to login and find strange page.

Radon0r
08-10-2010, 03:35 AM
For members, further instructions should have been sent to whatever email they have for you.

Kryatle
08-10-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm not a huge fan of sites who's login system is done this way. Oh well, all in the name of security.

iLOVENZB
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
This thread defeats the purpose of this feature.

anon
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of sites who's login system is done this way. Oh well, all in the name of security.

It'd probably have been a bit more effective if they had implemented this from the very beginning.

BlueMax
08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
For members, further instructions should have been sent to whatever email they have for you.
I did'nt get anything by email.
when I go to pretome I get a page that show:

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!

Posted by Floxxx on 12/31/1969 18:31
The page you are looking for is no longer available.
Check the URL or update your bookmarks.

stuck ? , didn't read the global msg ?
join
pretome IRC for help

first get Xchat from http://www.silverex.org/download/

install & open
Type your PTM site nickname(login name) into the Nick Name box, use any name you want for the other boxes
just below that , click the 'add' button
enter the details: irc.pretome.net/6667
Connect command: j help
click : close
Click: connect

anon
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
There will be a "Search" box where you can simply search for anything like you would do on Google. However, if you enter an active site nick, you will also get a box to enter your password!

:dry:

BlueMax
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]There will be a "Search" box where you can simply search for anything like you would do on Google. However, if you enter an active site nick, you will also get a box to enter your password!
pardon my ignorance but what exactly is "active site nick" ?!
My pretome username? pretome URL?

Kryatle
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Your username.

RasToRizE
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
hmmm.... seems like a good way to offer members more "protection" if thats what u can call it

ca_aok
08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Because as well all know, the authorities discover torrent sites by visiting random links and checking to see if there's a standard TBDev or Gazelle login page.

t00z
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Cabalo what are your thoughts on this ingenious invention by your favourite tracker's staff? :shifty:

Cabalo
08-10-2010, 03:57 PM
What?

t00z
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
werent you a ptm fanboy?

ca_aok
08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
What's wrong with PTM again? I think I got disabled for inactivity there (I have too many 0-day sites as is) but I don't see the problem with a ratioless 0-day that's easy for new torrenters to join.

Quarterquack
08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with it, to be honest. Although, when I was a member right at their tracker's inception, they were off to a slow start, which is why I personally didn't like it.

anon
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
pardon my ignorance but what exactly is "active site nick" ?!
My pretome username?

You've got it.

There's nothing wrong with it, to be honest. Although, when I was a member right at their tracker's inception, they were off to a slow start, which is why I personally didn't like it.

I've had several accounts, but they all eventually died because of inactivity. Looked like a nice place, but in terms of content it didn't really offer me anything I couldn't find elsewhere already.

Cabalo
08-10-2010, 06:18 PM
werent you a ptm fanboy?
And I still am. They have succeeded where many other 0-day ratioless trackers have failed.
They are one of the top 0-day trackers, and the undisputed number one in contents of all the ratioless ones. 37.000+ torrents alive. Those are facts.
About the staff I haven't had that much of a contact, so I can't really say. Only time I chatted with one was with guerillapunk here at FST, asking him to update the whitelist for the newest versions of Vuze, which he promptly did, so I must say it was a pretty positive feedback.

Oh, they are not secretive. I forgot that.

t00z
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but then what are they trying to do now? I got disabled for inactivity as well.. But iirc PTM is a pretty big and well-known site. What's the point of this secret thing? :/

BlueMax
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE]There will be a "Search" box where you can simply search for anything like you would do on Google. However, if you enter an active site nick, you will also get a box to enter your password!
I entered my username in the search box; but all it did was do a seach for my username.
Come ot think of it thats what 'search' is supposed to do and not give "a box to enter your password"
:rolleyes:

Cabalo
08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, but then what are they trying to do now? I got disabled for inactivity as well.. But iirc PTM is a pretty big and well-known site. What's the point of this secret thing? :/

Fashion victims?

YoYoY
08-11-2010, 12:46 AM

if not in the name of security , then in the name of coolness

bijoy
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
nice to know!

mrspikee
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Has anyone worked this out yet? I never received an email and when I enter my username into the search, it just takes me to google.

I have tried using the suggested IRC chat thing, but it is just impossible to navigate.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

anon
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Has anyone worked this out yet? I never received an email and when I enter my username into the search, it just takes me to google.

The new page works like BCG's fake one used to. Type your nickname without clicking "Search", and make sure JavaScript is enabled for Pretome.

mrspikee
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
No I don't get anything. No boxes appear.

is it possible they kicked me? I've always been very well behaved on there.

Oh well. thanks for the advice anyway.

Also, I'm on a Mac. Would that make any difference?

anon
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Also, I'm on a Mac. Would that make any difference?

I couldn't really tell, but I don't think so. What about downloading mIRC (instead of using the chat applet) and joining their IRC channel to get help? Details are as follows:

irc.pretome.net
#help

P2PDog
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
You should have been emailed a PIN number. That's what you enter into the search box. When you do, the boxes appear to enter your username and password.

If you didn't get the email, then contacting them in IRC would be about your only option.

steadyeddie
08-19-2010, 05:34 AM
try this it worked for me
type your username in the searchbox
dont hit search just hit spacebar and
voila
hope i helped

Anqueeta
08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I just cant login. No pass box apears when i type my username and when i try to use irc it tells me that i need registered nick while trying to join pretome channell. its typed everything correctly, have tryed 1000x. Have used different browsers, nothing. And there is rly no reason to ban me.

P2PDog
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Join the #help channel, not the #pretome channel. You could also try joining #pin and follow the instructions in the channel topic.

Cabalo
08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I just cant login. No pass box apears when i type my username and when i try to use irc it tells me that i need registered nick while trying to join pretome channell. its typed everything correctly, have tryed 1000x. Have used different browsers, nothing. And there is rly no reason to ban me.
You don't type your username, you type your PIN, which was emailed to you.

anon
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Looks like this fake page created more trouble than it's worth.

Mooi1990
08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
You don't type your username, you type your PIN, which was emailed to you.

Dear FST-Member ;)

We have recently made a major change to the way you log in to PreToMe !

This information is important as without it , you will not be able to log into the site.

Changes made:

The ‘splash page’ / ‘login page’ is now covert ! ( it looks alot like some random msg board)

In the top left hand side there is a search box, to log into the site you must use your personal key !

your personal key is xxxx

http://i37.tinypic.com/209nltk.jpg

After you enter your PIN into the ‘search’ box , you will be prompted for your username and password ( this has not changed )

Now that your logged in you dont have to worry about your PIN until next time you log in

Problems people are having :

Don’t push the search button after typing your PIN , just wait for the login box to appear, if it does not apear within 5 seconds or so , you may have entred the PIN wrong

I forgot my PIN! You can have a PIN reset using our IRC service.

These changes have been made to further strengthen our log in system and is not related to any past or present event.

It´s not that hard.

Burnsy
08-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks like this fake page created more trouble than it's worth.

Seems like a form of 'natural selection' to me :lol:

wolfied
09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I remember getting lost in their login page for about an hour! I read all the nonsense things :D Then I accidently figured out how to login :D

iLOVENZB
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I remember getting lost in their login page for about an hour! I read all the nonsense things :D Then I accidently figured out how to login :D

You accidentally read you email? :D

Thelen
09-11-2010, 12:59 PM
So stupid, now all someone has to do is write a smart script and they will have all the pins and such for the whole site.... great security feature, just give away your user list!

P2PDog
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
So stupid, now all someone has to do is write a smart script and they will have all the pins and such for the whole site.... great security feature, just give away your user list!

Even with a list of all the PINs, they would still need all the usernames and passwords. When you enter your PIN all it does is expose the Username and Password fields, which you then have to enter in order to log in.