PDA

View Full Version : torrent alternatives?

bwayne337
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
my school network bans torrents and p2p stuff like limewire.
any alternatives? i know people just download directly from the internet, but often times, stuff's hard to find. is there any way?

anon
08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
my school network bans torrents and p2p stuff like limewire.

Are one-click hosters (Rapidshare, Megaupload, Mediafire) blocked also?

Tokeman
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Newsgroups?

Stabber
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
rapidshare + warez-bb

bijoy
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
try using usenet.
they are good.

bwayne337
08-12-2010, 04:49 PM
just getting the hang of usenet and i'm liking it.
btws do you guys have any nzb index websites that are particularly good for comics/music?
also, is there an equivalent for nzb to torrent trackers like what or waffles? i need to get some of those obscure albums that nzb index's dont seem to have

byneco
08-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Ftp :)

Cabalo
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
just getting the hang of usenet and i'm liking it.
btws do you guys have any nzb index websites that are particularly good for comics/music?
also, is there an equivalent for nzb to torrent trackers like what or waffles? i need to get some of those obscure albums that nzb index's dont seem to have
Try looking for them on NZBIndex.nl or binsearch.info
Usually I get my albums from warez-bb or when I want a single song from Grooveshark+Orbit Downloader.

Tokeman
08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
+1 for binsearch.info. It was the only nzb resource I needed when using newsgroups.

cherio
08-13-2010, 03:07 AM
usenet costs $$$. not worth it. Better free options exist;

Get everything with these;
music = youtube + zamzar
movies = Megavideo at surfthechannel
games = 4shared, 2shared, mediafire
ebooks, textbooks = Scribd

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:19 AM
i like my music 192 at the very least. lossless if can
copping off youtube is horrible.
i wish they had nzb versions of trackers like what or waffles
can't find SHIT on nzb indexes

1000possibleclaws
08-13-2010, 06:20 AM
download torrents as .txt file? i dunno, you could try and see if slsk works.

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:27 AM
haha my solution to this is leaving my computer on at home and remote desktop-ing it from my laptop at the dorms in school and downloading torrents
but there has to be an easier way........

they block torrent clients and when they check how much bandwidth youre using and your downloading rate, they'll know what's up

anon
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
they block torrent clients

How? There are many ways to deter BitTorrent downloads. You mentioned Waffles, and they offer the possibility of browsing the site as well as announcing via SSL. That may help you evade the block.

Note I really wouldn't recommend doing heavy downloading if torrents are blocked to begin with and they also check your bandwidth usage.

Also, you didn't reply to those of us that mentioned one-click hosters... :)

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
@anon-sbi
i normally can't find the music i'm looking for in one-click hosters :S maybe i'm just bad with the search engines for those websites haha.
yeah, i'll have to lay off torrents, I don't know any way around it. do you reckon the remote desktop will work? haha, i'll need to be active on my torrent tracking websites.
could elaborate on the part about waffles? does that mean if i get the tracker to announce SSL, my ISP (school's) will have no idea?
cheers

anon
08-13-2010, 06:16 PM
do you reckon the remote desktop will work?

It should, since technically you'd be downloading from your home PC, which would be doing the actual torrenting work. Pretty much the same as with seedboxes.

could elaborate on the part about waffles? does that mean if i get the tracker to announce SSL, my ISP (school's) will have no idea?

It's more or less that. Unless your school uses advanced filters that can do a middleman attack on SSL, they shouldn't be able to see what's sent over such an encrypted link. However, that'd only prevent them from seeing tracker announces and replies - if they are blocking the connections to peers, it won't achieve anything... in that case, there's still something else you could try, though.

You can enable the SSL tracker via your Waffles paranoia settings. If you've already downloaded Waffles .torrents, you'll have to redownload them, or change the tracker URLs manually.

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
interesting... i'll try out the remote desktop method. although i have never tried, haha it doesn't seem as if it'd be difficult...although wait... could i remote desktop a pc from a macbook? i've heard it being done, but i remember trying it with much failure...

About the SSL - I will give it a try once I get there. It's only a university network, I don't think they'd have middleman attacking hacks or anything.
this paranoia setting sounds interesting and bulletproof haha. does what.cd have this function? i have neither, but i failed a what.cd interview today... i feel as if they're a little too hardcore and anal bout encoding and transcoding, but i guess safety precautions are what it is.
is there a way to get into waffles? is it an interview thing too?

the problem i find with nzb is, not enough people use it hence not enough of a big underground music community. most tracking sites i'm on are not music-specific so no underground music there either, although i upload in hopes to start a community/find peeps like me. one click hosting has little.

the funniest part of all - these underground artists NEED this kind of publicity. i buy the albums if i like it, and i'm always lookin' to spread the love

anon
08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
interesting... i'll try out the remote desktop method. although i have never tried, haha it doesn't seem as if it'd be difficult...although wait... could i remote desktop a pc from a macbook?

That I can't help you with. I have zero Mac knowledge. :pinch:

this paranoia setting sounds interesting and bulletproof haha. does what.cd have this function?

They let you browse the site through an SSL connection (ssl.what.cd) and conceal some/many of your stats from others via your "paranoia level" (which goes from 0 to 5), but as far as I know, they don't offer an SSL tracker like Waffles does. From a technical point of view, this makes sense - they already have enough load on their servers with a whopping ~130000 users without encryption...

is there a way to get into waffles? is it an interview thing too?

Nope, no interview. You have to get someone to invite you.

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
yeah without an SSL tracker, i don't think it'd be a good working bet with the university network.

worst comes to worst, i'll have to nail that what.cd interview the day after and use the remote desktop method.

@anon-sbi personal question though - what or waffles ?

thanks for all the info

anon
08-13-2010, 06:44 PM
@anon-sbi personal question though - what or waffles ?

What.cd is otherwise superior in pretty much every aspect - userbase, content, and so on.

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:46 PM
would it be worth struggling/working with the remote desktop setup? hahaha

anon
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I'll leave that one to you. :P

bwayne337
08-13-2010, 06:48 PM
hahaha thanks again, i appreciate it
i'm starting to like this forum now so helpful

EDIT

muahahahahahAHA i feel so evil. i got remote desktop method to work
i can feel it now... i'm going to be downloading torrents!! ahaha fuck you uni!
the shit i do for my music
so if anybody is in the same boat as i am, ask me