PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasure Theater

clocker
08-12-2010, 03:18 AM
OK, here's the place to confess your most shameful guilty pleasures of a cinematic nature.
Panda lovers, copraphiliacs, et al start your own thread somewhere else.

We all have films that we like regardless of their failings...for some reason they resonate despite the shortcomings. We watch them unironically, critical objectivity be damned.

I'll start.

The Rundown (2003)- Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, Rosario Dawson, Seann Michael Scott and Christopher Walken.

The Rock has exactly the same qualities that made Arnold famous...he's big/chiseled enough to be a believable action figure and self-aware enough to realize what a goof he is.
This whole movie (produced under the auspices of WWE) is just big stupid fun- an unashamed ripoff off the Indiana Jones franchise that for some reason- at least for me- transcends it's derivative origins and completely entertains.

Compared to other films of the same genre- say for instance, The Losers or The A Team- The Rundown is almost exactly the same, so I have to conclude that it's Johnson who makes it for me.
Well, that and you can hardly go wrong with Walken chewing up scenery for miles around as the totally off the wall villain.

So, I showed you mine, now show us yours...

megabyteme
08-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Cabin Boy (1994) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109361/ is one that has always made me laugh. It stars Chris Elliot (a David Letterman Show prop player) who comes from an elite, wealthy family. He is the most arrogant, condescending, and offensive of the elitist school and is not even liked there. Through mishap, he finds himself on a lowest of the low fishing vessel with a crew who are entirely unwilling to put up with his arrogance, and who torment him relentlessly. The bulk of the movie involves bizarre circumstances while the crew travel through a mysterious Bermuda Triangle- type area. Hilarity ensues...

I recently discovered it was produced by Tim Burton. It is a deserving 4.4/10 stars, but I will unapologetically defend its place in my DVD collection. The cameo by Letterman is classic. I'm almost certain Dave must have said, "Yeah, sure, if you ever star in a movie, I'll be in it..." Either that, or he lost a bet. :)

IdolEyes787
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
The Rundown (2003)- Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, Rosario Dawson, Seann Michael Scott and Christopher Walken.

The Rock has exactly the same qualities that made Arnold famous...he's big/chiseled enough to be a believable action figure and self-aware enough to realize what a goof he is.
This whole movie (produced under the auspices of WWE) is just big stupid fun- an unashamed ripoff off the Indiana Jones franchise that for some reason- at least for me- transcends it's derivative origins and completely entertains.

Compared to other films of the same genre- say for instance, The Losers or The A Team- The Rundown is almost exactly the same, so I have to conclude that it's Johnson who makes it for me.
Well, that and you can hardly go wrong with Walken chewing up scenery for miles around as the totally off the wall villain.

Plus monkeys.:yup:
Hard to hate any movie that doesn't star Matt LeBlanc which has a good monkey scene.

Pretty much anything with Patrick Swayze - Road House(boobs,Jeff Healy,savate,tearing out of guys in funny 80's clothes throats,boobs) ,Point Break(characters named Bodhi and Johnny Utah plus 100% Pure Adrenaline!!!!!! ),Red Dawn ( Red Menace invades US and it's left to highschoolers to fight back so pretty much goes without saying) ,Ghost ( ditto).

PS nice toepic .
PPS megabyteme you frighten me.

And speaking of frightening The Frighteners.Doesn't entirely hold together especially at the end but real talent in Peter Jackson and Michael J.
Also American Flyers ,There has never been a accurate cycling movie and this certainly isn't one but I still find the action scenes exciting .I actually have it on my computer . An unhealthy remembrance of glories past maybe.
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules .:blushing:

And a couple more thoughts on Dwight "the Rock" Whatever his name is and Rundown.
First I think the comparison to Arnold is a fair one the decernible differences being that Arnold had/has more of an edge ( maybe a perception based on movie choices- you can't kill thousands of people without coming off as hard after a point) and is imo strangely considering his talent at one-liners ( for action heroes only Bruce Willis is remotely in the same league ) a much less talented natural comedian than Johnson is .
But if I was giving out career advice to The Rock I would tell him to find a hard R action flick ( not this Scorpion King or Walking Tall bullshit ) and make himself part of it to build some tough guy cred.It worked for Arnie and it certainly hasn't hurt Jason Stratham .
Doing lame family comedies is all well and good but unless you have some believability as a tough guy you are just another big guy with big muscles with nothing underlying to play off of.
Also of Run Down ( and speaking of monkeys) Seann William Scott is a perfect movie second banana .In his case less is definitely more.

megabyteme
08-19-2010, 12:05 AM
This deserves a bump, so I'll make another confession...

Con Air (1997). I actually paid for this and it sits as part of what I called, "movies worthy of the collection". I no longer give any money to Hollywood, but this 6.6/10 gem is a permanent addition to that collection.

The casting is all recognizable, even today. Nickolas Cage, John Malkovich, Ving Rhames, Steve Buschemi, John Cusack, and more. There were some truly memorable scenes- one of which involves a 98 lb Buschemi (who is known on a Manson-level for his absolute evil acts) and Rhames (a hardened criminal himself, who should not be afraid of anyone) very much uncomfortable with his fellow passenger.

The movie is filled with cheezy dialog, and one-liners, the plot is as thin as my hairline :( , and the action is mostly so far-fetched that it will leave you scratching your head as to how this made it past the first edit. All that said, it all ties together for me, and it's a fun watch as long as you accept it for what it is...

Quotes:

[Holding a gun up to the head of a stuffed pink bunny]
Cyrus Grissom: Make a move and the bunny gets it.

Cameron Poe: Put... the bunny... back... in the box.

Garland Greene: What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

William 'Billy Bedlam' Bedford: You lost your mind?
Cyrus Grissom: According to my last psych evaluation, yes.

["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Garland Greene: Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

IdolEyes787
08-19-2010, 01:33 AM
If it's any consolation I don't hate it too :console: and I can shamefully say the same for The Rock.

Anyway just admit it that you really dig it for the Trisha Yearwood song you big poof and be done with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZ6SULBtdQ

megabyteme
08-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Real men are comfortable enough with their masculinity to listen to Trisha. Now, that doesn't extend all the way to Dion- and certainly not enough for Cher.

Anyway, I tear up a bit when I think of Cage hammering away prison-sex style on Monica Potter. :cry:

IdolEyes787
08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
I heart Monica Potter even though she eerily reminds me of Julia Roberts .
If Julia Roberts was the least bit attractive* that is .

*OK she had her moments in Pretty Woman and Mystic Pizza and that movie where she played a nurse to a dying Campbell Scott but after that zilch.
Fact is you have to be a pig of the first order not to be somewhat attractive when you are that young.

Totally unrelated note I just saw this horrible movie called Personal Effects with Aston Kutcher and Michelle Pfieiffer .Michelle Pfeiffer now there's a broad that is holding up well.Of course she had a lot further to fall than most.

OK related note .Guilty pleasures Into the Night with Michelle and Jeff Goldblum or Wolf with Michele and Nicholson( (and Spader) .
Wolf as the pun goes is a real howlfest.

IdolEyes787
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
And a couple more thoughts on Dwight "the Rock" Whatever his name is and Rundown.
First I think the comparison to Arnold is a fair one the discernible differences being that Arnold had/has more of an edge ( maybe a perception based on movie choices- you can't kill thousands of people without coming off as hard after a point) and is imo strangely considering his talent at one-liners ( for action heroes only Bruce Willis is remotely in the same league ) a much less talented natural comedian than Johnson is .
But if I was giving out career advice to The Rock I would tell him to find a hard R action flick ( not this Scorpion King or Walking Tall bullshit ) and make himself part of it to build some tough guy cred.It worked for Arnie and it certainly hasn't hurt Jason Stratham .
Doing lame family comedies is all well and good but unless you have some believability as a tough guy you are just another big guy with big muscles with nothing underlying to play off of.

Maybe The Rock should hire me as his agent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc1RlY22ts

Shooting the guy on the operating table:lol: and Maggie Grace:thumbsup:

megabyteme
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Heck, yeah! I look forward to downloading that. Nice to see a good, violent, revenge movie. Maggie is no longer playing a 16 year old, either. Win!