PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox or Usenet?

mrmonkey3319
08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm about to go to college. I don't know anything about their policies about torrents and such but I know it will be throttled and such. And I don't want to get in trouble. So I'm looking at two options right now. Buy a seedbox (I know of a really good one that I've used before), or renew my Giganews subscription https://www.giganews.com. I've noticed that Giganews has this VyprVPN now, and I'm really thinking that might be very helpful. How useful would that be in keeping me out of trouble?

Thanks!

captive
08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
ng deffo. cheaper too.

c0ld
08-14-2010, 09:29 AM
torrents + seedboxes involve spending out vast sums of money on the equivalent of a bandwidth arms race which only benefits the wallets of people running private torrent sites. You'll spend most of your time micromanaging torrents you don't care about just to build up a ratio that allows you to download the stuff you do care about without being b&. Stuff that is usually available elsewhere without the hassle. There's always someone with a better seedbox than you though, who'll build up a stupid ratio of about 1000:1 meaning 999 other people get banned for low ratios.

Fuck torrents, they're for mugs.

Giganews is for mugs too for that matter.

Townsend
08-14-2010, 10:35 AM
i agree with c0ld.forget the seedbox!

SB-087
08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
no, go with torrents and the seedbox,
they will cost roughly equivalant but you will get better quality releases, more content, and better reviews and such through good torrent sites than you will ever get on horrible outdated archaic usenet

c0ld
08-14-2010, 07:06 PM
haha, like I said; mugs. I rest my case.

Funkin'
08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
they will cost roughly equivalant but you will get better quality releases, more content, and better reviews and such through good torrent sites than you will ever get on horrible outdated archaic usenet

Nice post. It's obvious you know a lot about Usenet.

But anyways, for my opinion, I also say go with Usenet(for many reasons like cheaper than renting a box, access to an ocean of content, no seeding involved, good security, etc). Although I would personally switch from Giganews to make Astraweb since the price would be cheaper. I've been using Astraweb for a couple years now and am completely happy with them.

Stabber
08-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Depends on what you are looking for to download . There are trackers that have exclusive content like pedro's btmusic for flacs

Cabalo
08-16-2010, 01:40 PM
torrents + seedboxes involve spending out vast sums of money on the equivalent of a bandwidth arms race which only benefits the wallets of people running private torrent sites. You'll spend most of your time micromanaging torrents you don't care about just to build up a ratio that allows you to download the stuff you do care about without being b&. Stuff that is usually available elsewhere without the hassle. There's always someone with a better seedbox than you though, who'll build up a stupid ratio of about 1000:1 meaning 999 other people get banned for low ratios.

Fuck torrents, they're for mugs.

Giganews is for mugs too for that matter.
Go by c0ld's opinion. It's much cheaper, much more comfortable and you always max whatever connection you have. Seedboxes are a waste of time and money, stay away from them.

I see we have an expert here... :rolleyes:

baskinghobo
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
if you want the cheapest of the cheapest then join a good mediafire forum and use it with jdownloader. but it might have limited content.

Stabber
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
A better comparison would be rapidshare (direct downloading) or usenet

qOuOp
08-21-2010, 05:23 AM
I don’t like usenet. Pirates work their asses so hard to bring a free multimedias. What right does usenet providers have to charge their works?

beansis
08-29-2010, 07:47 AM
go with usenet since it has SSL
you don't want to be downloading anything at college unless it through an encrypted connection since a lot of uni networks are monitored by staff and also RIAA and other organizations, and you should also keep in mind that typically colleges have a bandwith cap/month.

Get astraweb - $96/yr unlimited speed/bandwidth, has pretty much everything unless you are looking for something uber-specific and no worries about crap uploading

If you still want to use torrents or ddl (liek rs, etc) you should consider VPN

sangos
08-30-2010, 04:45 AM
go with usenet since it has SSL
you don't want to be downloading anything at college unless it through an encrypted connection since a lot of uni networks are monitored by staff and also RIAA and other organizations, and you should also keep in mind that typically colleges have a bandwith cap/month.

Get astraweb - $96/yr unlimited speed/bandwidth, has pretty much everything unless you are looking for something uber-specific and no worries about crap uploading

If you still want to use torrents or ddl (liek rs, etc) you should consider VPN

i think this is the wise choice too, since in a uni torrent by default are limited and monitored and with the new ways they come up with everyday u better off with something that would help u stay away from troubles,

bottom line : go with usenet!! :D

mojo
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
at my uni default usenet port is blocked so you need to use other port, 23 I think, so be sure your usenet provider offer alternative port connection if default is block.

anon
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
If your provider supports SSL, wouldn't using that work, also? Since as far as I know, secure connections are made on another port.

technovert
08-31-2010, 01:39 AM
As far as bang for your buck, USENET by far. I would only really consider a seedbox if you are uploading new torrents and need the bandwidth for initial seeding.

blurayripper
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
As others said usenet for sure for you will be far too busy partying, studying and trying to get laid so why complicate your life with any sort of monthly plan and the hassles of maintaining a tracker membership. The less commitments the better playa. Buy a $25 180gb astraweb plan, an nzbmatrix lifetime subscription and that should last you awhile.

gamesover
09-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Windows seedbox for sure if you plan to upload your own torrents, not just farm torrents from other sites. Uploading is one of the best ways to contributing to a tracker. So for that reason I would say seedbox. Usenet is only useful for downloading and you could also use rapidshare for that.

jaymmmmmm
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
30+ euros a month for a good seedbox, then still have to FTP the stuff to your home computer or $11 a month for unlimited downloads, no uploading back required and direct to your home PC.

Not a hard one, why people insist on buying things like 1gbit seedboxes really does baffle me and then brag about it like it's there home connection. I can understand people renting 100mbit boxes as they're not that expensive especaily if they have the money but anything higher is stupid. Congratulations you pay 80 plus euros for a 1gbit sever when I can get all the same content on my home PC for a mere $11 a month.

You have to use many different trackers to find all the content you want when you can find anything on usenet from the popular groups just by using a index site

Downloader
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Go with usenet if you're mostly after 0day stuff

0ctane
09-03-2010, 11:49 PM
go with usenet fast speeds and most of the time it hits usenet before torrents sites anyway .

jaymmmmmm
09-03-2010, 11:57 PM
go with usenet fast speeds and most of the time it hits usenet before torrents sites anyway .

Certainly not true and you'll even find some of the main usenet posters for a.b.bonless, a.b.test, a.b.x use trackers as their source for all the content they upload to usenet. They set up auto download script on trackers, then once downloaded, auto post and par to usenet.

Krunch
09-04-2010, 02:12 PM
SeedBox .. (-:

sandman_1
09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Why would you want to pay for a Seedbox when you can get Astraweb with SSL 256bit encryption with 20 connection for around $11-13 US/month or $96/yr? So you might have to wait for a few minutes for releases to trickle down to Usenet, whoopteedoo. Also, you don't have to get into some pissing contest to see who can have the better ratio or worry about getting caught or kicked out of a site. Notice all the lawsuits? They are P2P not Usenet. There is a reason for that.

KFlint
09-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Nobody sane would pay for a seedbox and work is butt off to build a ratio when you can have astraweb for less than 10$ a month, I've been on newsgroups for a while now and never looked back. I still something use what, bitme, brokenstones and Kg for the specialized content, that's about that. I just lost interest in BT, it's time consuming and you have access to amazing content at full speed on usenet with the very long retention.

taniquetil
09-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Just get Usenet. It's a lot less of a hassle than using a SeedBox, IMO. Usenet couldn't be easier to use. $11/month, use Grabit, and it's pretty much like torrents, just a lot cheaper. Hit the download button, and GrabIt will automatically repair and extract for you.

Besides, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, sure, there may be some things that are easier to find on Torrents than Usenet (obscure music springs to mind), but with Usenet you get safety, security, and you can always max out your connection speed.

cherio
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
usenet is not cheaper

a $20 seedbox slot at bytesized or pulsedmedia can create terabytes of credit/buffer. With a good scene tracker that allows H&R like TL, you have same thing as a usenet block account without paying monthly fees.

anon
09-18-2010, 05:03 PM
a $20 seedbox slot at bytesized or pulsedmedia can create terabytes of credit/buffer. With a good scene tracker that allows H&R like TL

That's what all the cool BT kids do nowadays - buffer the hell out of your accounts using a seedbox, then hit & run on the files you do want. Go go go!

By the way, officially, TL doesn't allow hit & running. Whether they care enough to catch and warn users that do it is a different matter. You should also warn their staff if you're going to use a seedbox there. Read this:
http://www.torrentleech.org/faq.php

sandman_1
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
usenet is not cheaper

a $20 seedbox slot at bytesized or pulsedmedia can create terabytes of credit/buffer. With a good scene tracker that allows H&R like TL, you have same thing as a usenet block account without paying monthly fees.

Even with a $20 Seebox, Usenet is cheaper. Are you comparing it to Giganews platinum account or something?

RapidSpeeds
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I would rather have a seedbox hands down - alot of people find it a good hobby grabbing torrents & seeding.

berfor
09-25-2010, 11:03 PM
usenet i assume

timekeeper123
09-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Go for seedbox. usenets is for anitsocials.

sandman_1
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
timekeeper123

Says the guy with only 2 posts. Antisocial huh? Are you special ed. or something?

anon
09-27-2010, 06:17 PM

That statement makes little sense. How does the downloading method you use for pirating stuff exactly define your social habits, or reversed?

gravey
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I would definitely go usenet a lot cheaper, and you can find almost anything on usenet

anon
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
and you can find almost anything on usenet

You can find most new stuff, yes, but you can't compare newsgroups with KG's movie collection or What.cd's music library, for example.

I'm not saying torrents are better than Usenet, each method has its pros and cons. For new 0-Day releases, the latter is probably better if we leave the "oh, you have to pay" factor out.

yousharing89
10-09-2010, 09:03 AM
seedbox and rtorrent, i don't usenet, has many problems
btw i don't have a seedbox :(

anon
10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
seedbox and rtorrent, i don't usenet, has many problems
btw i don't have a seedbox :(

lol

Ericp2p
10-09-2010, 09:18 PM
That's assuming you can get into What.Cd or Waffles or any of the other hard to get in sites. You have to build your way up to those sites for a long time.

anon
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
That's assuming you can get into What.Cd or Waffles or any of the other hard to get in sites.

Neither What.cd nor Waffles are hard to get in, What even runs an interview channel for potential good members to join.